North American Union

Canucklehead

Terror of Saskatchewan
Apr 14, 2010
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Old topic and probably covered somewhere deep in this forum, long, long ago. Too lazy to look.

The North American Union is a theoretical union between the United States, Canada, and Mexico. If there's anything Americans and Canadians can agree on, it's the inferiority of Mexicans (I kid lol). So I pitch the idea to you: Would you support a union between the United States and Canada? Why or why not?

Personally, it makes economic sense to me. The Americans have a great hunger for resources and Canada has a ton of resources. It would drastically reduce dependence on foreign goods. Canadians require military protection and our militaries are already pretty damn well integrated. Might as well go the full length. In that light, I think it would be beneficial to both countries.

Politically, it doesn't make much sense. There are a lot of issues that would complicate such a move. Firstly, would Canada's healthcare system stay or go? Would the metric system be in use? Would French remain an official language? Would the Canadian or American constitution be used? Or a new one made? Would the union reflect its former Canadian views on LGBT rights and other minority rights (like gay marriage)?

But even if those issues - and more - were all somehow solved, it is indisputable that the US would dominate such a union and effectively would not be a working partnership, but an integration of Canada into the US as the 51st state.

It's for that reason I am against it. I believe we would simply be combining our problems into one massive mess. However, I'm wondering if there are any Americans who are supportive of this idea?

Thanks.

Forum List

Back