North American energy independence: Mitt Romney

Oldguy

Sep 25, 2012
Texas
During this weeks debate, Mitt Romney kept talking about "North American energy independence." Not, US energy independence, but North American.

Hmmmm. I wonder just what country he think he's running to lead? Mexico? Canada? Panama, maybe?

He's already demonstrated that he's confused over which country he wants to be President of in the arena of foreign affairs when he said, "I'd get on the phone to my friend Bibi Netanyahu and say, 'Would it help if I said this? What would you like me to say and do?'"

Romney seems to be such an ardent globalist that he doesn't even recognize the United States as an independent country anymore. He'll work to assure Mexican energy independence and cede our foreign policy to Israel.

I wonder what else his global focus will cause him to do?

Hey Mitt! You're SUPPOSED to be running for the office of President of the United States of America....not chief facilitator of Honduras or Israel!

Last edited:
it's pretty obvious what his plan is. He expects to work with Canada and Mexico so that our three nations can be energy independent.

it's pretty obvious what his plan is. He expects to work with Canada and Mexico so that our three nations can be energy independent.

You mean sorta like a North American Union?

Is that what he's running to be President of?

No. He's running to be President of the United States of America. I would have thought that was obvious since there is No North American Union to be President of.

Of course, if Mexico/Canada (or parts therein) wanted to become part of the United States. I wouldn't have an objection.

But no. This project isn't designed to abdicate our sovereignty. Instead it's designed to work together with our neighbors on common goals.

Republicans and their severe conservative leader's numbers don't add up -- check out the chart below.

See what the chart's saying, the only way for Romney's plan for energy independence to work
is-----wait for it----- is to implement President Obama's fuel efficiency standards but-----but since Romney hasn't made any mention of implementing President Obama's fuel efficiency standards, Romney's "plan" is simply a BS way of giving away yours and my money to the Koch Brothers et al. Not only that but-----but expensive tar sands oil will drive the market price.

win-win for the plutocracy

I like this idea of energy independence if we can get there by using alternative sources of energy. If we are going to rely on fossil fuels, I'd rather import. While there are some risks with doing so, here is the simple logic. One of these days, somewhere down the road, we are going to run out of fossil fuels. I'd like to keep ours as long as possible.

While countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran and any of those oil producers can seem to be a threat to us, what happens when they run out of oil? I would rather they run out first rather than us. It's a ways away, but I'm thinking of future generations of Americans. Just something to think about.

No. He's running to be President of the United States of America. I would have thought that was obvious since there is No North American Union to be President of.

Of course, if Mexico/Canada (or parts therein) wanted to become part of the United States. I wouldn't have an objection.

But no. This project isn't designed to abdicate our sovereignty. Instead it's designed to work together with our neighbors on common goals.

I don't know about you, but I vote for President of the United States to address issues HERE, not in Mexico or Canada. They have their own President and Prime Minister. MY President needs to stay home and keep his nose out their problems, just as they need to stay home and keep theirs out of ours.

Mitt should be worried about THIS country, not some other one.

Republicans and their severe conservative leader's numbers don't add up -- check out the chart below.

See what the chart's saying, the only way for Romney's plan for energy independence to work
is-----wait for it----- is to implement President Obama's fuel efficiency standards but-----but since Romney hasn't made any mention of implementing President Obama's fuel efficiency standards, Romney's "plan" is simply a BS way of giving away yours and my money to the Koch Brothers et al. Not only that but-----but expensive tar sands oil will drive the market price.

You are of course dismissing the over $40 billion in oil and gas taxes residing in Obama's proposed budget. If he's re-elected, you're going to see a number done on domestic production like you've never seen. Worse than the so-called Windfall Profits Tax.

Don't kid yourselves, Obama is out to wreck hydrocarbons. And with it will go the jobs, production, economic activity, GDP, balance of payments....

Delusional Liberals. It's hard not to laugh.

You are of course dismissing the over $40 billion in oil and gas taxes residing in Obama's proposed budget. If he's re-elected, you're going to see a number done on domestic production like you've never seen. Worse than the so-called Windfall Profits Tax.

Don't kid yourselves, Obama is out to wreck hydrocarbons. And with it will go the jobs, production, economic activity, GDP, balance of payments....

Delusional Liberals. It's hard not to laugh.

What's delusional is how easily duped Republicans are by Foxaganda, et al. Your projections have no basis in fact. Obama has never raised taxes on gasoline---OTOH---Romney raised MA state gas taxes by 400%. Republicans would be more believable if they didn't make stuff up to fit their lying narrative(s).

Note that the context in the story was a discussion of gasoline taxes. The story immediately went on to note that Obama “has dismissed the idea of boosting the federal gasoline tax, a move energy experts say could be the single most effective step to promote alternative energies and temper demand. Mr. Obama said Sunday that a heightened gasoline tax would be a ‘mistake’ because it would put ‘additional burdens on American families right now.’ ”

more ➙here

And-----and you probably weren't paying attention when John McCain called Romney out on raising the price of gas via higher taxes in MA.

FLASHBACK: Unlike Obama, Romney Actually Raised Gas Taxes | ThinkProgress

✄snip>
Romney actually increased the price of gasoline directly himself. In 2003 Romney increased fees on drivers by two cents a gallon to pay for environmental clean ups of leaking underground gas station fuel tanks. The fee increased the clean-up tax on drivers by 400% and hit consumers directly at the pump. The fund, which was originally only half-a-cent, was created in 1992 to aid gas station owners with clean-ups. Two weeks after raising taxes on drivers, Romney eliminated the fund for gas station clean-ups entirely but kept the two cent increase in the tax gas. The money raised by Romney’s tax increase now goes directly into Commonwealth’s coffers for legislators to spend as they please.
The issue of gas taxes has been a proven vulnerabilty for Mitt Romney in the past. When running against Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) for the Republican nomination in 2008, Romney’s campaign took a bruising for the gas fee he imposed on the state of Massachusetts:
McCain campaign communications director Jill Hazelbaker responded to a Romney attack on McCain over energy issues by saying, “Mitt Romney has proven in this campaign that he will say anything to anyone at any time if he thinks it will help him politically. … As governor, Mitt Romney effectively raised gas taxes on every single motorist in Massachusetts.”
Governor Romney’s efforts to raise Massachusetts gas taxes — like his support for regulations on coal plants, the Northeast’s cap-and-trade initiative, and green energy— were progressive policies that helped improve the welfare of Massachusetts citizens. The eroding rate of gas taxes in this country has meant that more and more money flows from the 99 percent of drivers to the 1 percent involved with oil companies and Wall Street speculators. Meanwhile, the transportation infrastructure that people depend on is crumbling into disrepair. Burned by a previous attempt to restore the state gas tax from its eroding position, current Gov. Deval Patrick (D-MA) is refusing to restore the gas tax enough to preserve critical public transit services for his state.

✄snip>

WTFU Republicans, with Romney, you're about GFY's.
V
V
V

Forum List

Back