None Of This Is True...#DCBlackOut

l;l
How much of these protests and reactions is being driven by disinformation designed to foment violence and unrest?

misinformation_custom-cd1e06e23a5a1dc3a9f3f415f6899be5b4a7dfd6-s1400-c85.jpg

View attachment 344468

A fake story began circulating Sunday evening into Monday morning, which was then disputed by real journalists as well as a number of bots. Experts say the campaign may have been meant to make people question whether anything they see online is true.

The image would shock just about anyone: a fire so large that it seems to stretch halfway up the 550-foot-tall Washington Monument, and burning so bright that it dramatically illuminated the landmark.

Shocking, but fake.

The image was a screenshot from the fictional ABC show "Designated Survivor." But coming on the third day of raucous protests around the White House against police violence — which did include some fires that were intentionally set — it could have seemed like it was real.

The image quickly went viral on Twitter, not unlike a number of other rumors that spread during moments of uncertainty and chaos over the weekend, and which showed how the intense polarization of the current moment is fertile ground for online disinformation campaigns.

And there were claims spread under the #dcblackout hashtag that cell phones and other communication devices were blocked as part of a strategy to allow violent police reprisals to go unreported. That, too, was not true.

"Some of my videos and pics being posted by accounts saying they were last before a "#dcblackout" where streams and cells shut down. I didn't experience anything like that and — though I didn't try streaming — had no issue with phone as I tweeted and worked until 2:30 am at least," tweeted Yahoo! reporter Hunter Walker on Monday morning.

"Stop retweeting #dcblackout," added CBS reporter Christina Ruffini. "None of this is true. Eventually, even TV crews need to sleep, but ours and many others were out late into the night. Their phones worked. Live signal was strong. Many of these tweets are the same wording. Don't fall for whatever is happening here."

Experts say the #dcblackout hashtag seemed to be the work of a"well-funded" and organized internet campaign, and a successful one at that.

Many of the accounts promoting the #dcblackout claims had few followers themselves, indicating that they could have been created specifically for the purpose of spreading disinformation, said Alex Engler, a scholar at the Brookings Institution who has followed the use of social media and technology to spread propaganda.

"A lot of these accounts are pretty suspicious, especially the ones disseminating them at night. But there are very real people now promoting this. By 9 a.m. the fact that the origin of the story seems to be manufactured would already be obscured to you," he says.

"Even if a huge percentage of those real people are using that hashtag to say, 'hey, this isn't real' — it doesn't matter," Linvill said. Even if only 20% of people posting about it believe it, "20% of a million is still 200,000 people."

Wish folks would FOCUS on the actual topic here because without THINKING about the credibility of ANY reporting or article, we make ourselves COMPLETELY vulnerable to ACTUAL Russian/Chinese/N'erDoWell meddling in our affairs.. If you DON"T ignore "media" that has been so wrong so many times -- It's like waving a white flag and inviting Putin/Xi/NameYourConspiracy to COME ON IN....

In retrospect it's pretty clear that the article was a fraud, but I needed someone to remind me that the scene of the WH burning in the Tweet was from that TV Series I watched.

When the COVID thing was winding up, I ran across OBVIOUS PRChina propaganda sites POSING as Covid "statistical analysts",.. Really bad numbers and too much about the "patriotic American Chinese that started this site" crap.. On further review, there was WAY too much information supporting the Chinese Communists lies to be DONE by "patriotic Amer. Chinese".. Later found out this site WAS directed from outside the country..

Just ignore the sewer of Twitter. Those morons couldn't judge "violence" if they were the victims. It's all crap.. But it's the REST of what CLAIMS to be the media that worries me the most..

Exactly...and the level of disinformation is incredible right now. But you can't lump all "media" in as "the media" - it differs, some is good, some is average, some is mostly false, some is deliberately so...some is good on some stuff, bad on other stuff. I think as long as we are critical readers, and recognize "red flag" type of language use, or hidden agendas...utilize multiple sources...we're better off. But even then some sources are just sewers...like twitter. But it's a sewer that just keeps on overflowing unfortunately.

Answer the question.

Fine I don't know they were ANTIFA. I also don't know the 9/11 hijackers were Arabs pissed off about US troops in Saudi Arabia. I don't know the crash site in Roswell New Mexico was a fuckin UFO from a distant solar system.

There is still more evidence that ANTIFA did what I allege than the church spontaneously combusted.

How do you sleep at night?

Exactly...and the level of disinformation is incredible right now. But you can't lump all "media" in as "the media" - it differs, some is good, some is average, some is mostly false, some is deliberately so...some is good on some stuff, bad on other stuff. I think as long as we are critical readers, and recognize "red flag" type of language use, or hidden agendas...utilize multiple sources...we're better off. But even then some sources are just sewers...like twitter. But it's a sewer that just keeps on overflowing unfortunately.

Here's a basic truth.. I know this because I've had to read WIDELY to even figure out what to RESEARCH the facts on...

Nothing that is "free" anymore is really truly reliable or useful... Seriously... Probably tossing USMB under that bus, --- but so be it !!!!!

The exceptions to that are CSPAN of course, but who wants to listen to one-sided Congressional hearings where the "other side" wants to discuss themselves and anything BUT the topic of the hearing.. So transcripts are the way to go.. And the other exception is British press, who seems to REVEL in our politics because theirs is so damn boring.. :auiqs.jpg:

About 15 years ago, when I started to get politically aware, I had subscriptions to The Nation, National Review, Mother Jones and Reason Magazine all at the same time.. That's how I learned to "read thru" all sides of things.. I only take Reason Mag today, because they are TRULY "non partisan" and very libertarian..

There's not enough time in the world to wade thru hip deep horseshit that passes for politics today.. Because WE ARE in a era where media has chosen sides and their mission is to support one party over the other...

So it's no wonder why folks can't USE a simple ass discussion board anymore to sort things out and REASON things out.. It's like foreigners with no chance of understanding the concerns or the opinions of the others...

Here's a basic truth.. I know this because I've had to read WIDELY to even figure out what to RESEARCH the facts on...

Nothing that is "free" anymore is really truly reliable or useful... Seriously... Probably tossing USMB under that bus, --- but so be it !!!!!

The exceptions to that are CSPAN of course, but who wants to listen to one-sided Congressional hearings where the "other side" wants to discuss themselves and anything BUT the topic of the hearing.. So transcripts are the way to go.. And the other exception is British press, who seems to REVEL in our politics because theirs is so damn boring.. :auiqs.jpg:

About 15 years ago, when I started to get politically aware, I had subscriptions to The Nation, National Review, Mother Jones and Reason Magazine all at the same time.. That's how I learned to "read thru" all sides of things.. I only take Reason Mag today, because they are TRULY "non partisan" and very libertarian..

There's not enough time in the world to wade thru hip deep horseshit that passes for politics today.. Because WE ARE in a era where media has chosen sides and their mission is to support one party over the other...

So it's no wonder why folks can't USE a simple ass discussion board anymore to sort things out and REASON things out.. It's like foreigners with no chance of understanding the concerns or the opinions of the
others...
I totally agree with transcripts, that is why when claims something was said, I go look at a transcript, not a partial video, not an excerpt. Too often context is lacking.

How much of these protests and reactions is being driven by disinformation designed to foment violence and unrest?

misinformation_custom-cd1e06e23a5a1dc3a9f3f415f6899be5b4a7dfd6-s1400-c85.jpg

View attachment 344468

A fake story began circulating Sunday evening into Monday morning, which was then disputed by real journalists as well as a number of bots. Experts say the campaign may have been meant to make people question whether anything they see online is true.

The image would shock just about anyone: a fire so large that it seems to stretch halfway up the 550-foot-tall Washington Monument, and burning so bright that it dramatically illuminated the landmark.

Shocking, but fake.

The image was a screenshot from the fictional ABC show "Designated Survivor." But coming on the third day of raucous protests around the White House against police violence — which did include some fires that were intentionally set — it could have seemed like it was real.

The image quickly went viral on Twitter, not unlike a number of other rumors that spread during moments of uncertainty and chaos over the weekend, and which showed how the intense polarization of the current moment is fertile ground for online disinformation campaigns.

And there were claims spread under the #dcblackout hashtag that cell phones and other communication devices were blocked as part of a strategy to allow violent police reprisals to go unreported. That, too, was not true.

"Some of my videos and pics being posted by accounts saying they were last before a "#dcblackout" where streams and cells shut down. I didn't experience anything like that and — though I didn't try streaming — had no issue with phone as I tweeted and worked until 2:30 am at least," tweeted Yahoo! reporter Hunter Walker on Monday morning.

"Stop retweeting #dcblackout," added CBS reporter Christina Ruffini. "None of this is true. Eventually, even TV crews need to sleep, but ours and many others were out late into the night. Their phones worked. Live signal was strong. Many of these tweets are the same wording. Don't fall for whatever is happening here."

Experts say the #dcblackout hashtag seemed to be the work of a"well-funded" and organized internet campaign, and a successful one at that.

Many of the accounts promoting the #dcblackout claims had few followers themselves, indicating that they could have been created specifically for the purpose of spreading disinformation, said Alex Engler, a scholar at the Brookings Institution who has followed the use of social media and technology to spread propaganda.

"A lot of these accounts are pretty suspicious, especially the ones disseminating them at night. But there are very real people now promoting this. By 9 a.m. the fact that the origin of the story seems to be manufactured would already be obscured to you," he says.

"Even if a huge percentage of those real people are using that hashtag to say, 'hey, this isn't real' — it doesn't matter," Linvill said. Even if only 20% of people posting about it believe it, "20% of a million is still 200,000 people."

Wish folks would FOCUS on the actual topic here because without THINKING about the credibility of ANY reporting or article, we make ourselves COMPLETELY vulnerable to ACTUAL Russian/Chinese/N'erDoWell meddling in our affairs.. If you DON"T ignore "media" that has been so wrong so many times -- It's like waving a white flag and inviting Putin/Xi/NameYourConspiracy to COME ON IN....

In retrospect it's pretty clear that the article was a fraud, but I needed someone to remind me that the scene of the WH burning in the Tweet was from that TV Series I watched.

When the COVID thing was winding up, I ran across OBVIOUS PRChina propaganda sites POSING as Covid "statistical analysts",.. Really bad numbers and too much about the "patriotic American Chinese that started this site" crap.. On further review, there was WAY too much information supporting the Chinese Communists lies to be DONE by "patriotic Amer. Chinese".. Later found out this site WAS directed from outside the country..

Just ignore the sewer of Twitter. Those morons couldn't judge "violence" if they were the victims. It's all crap.. But it's the REST of what CLAIMS to be the media that worries me the most..
you keep saying only the RUSSIANS can subvert thought.

Coyote thought can be subverted as long as you're willing to let your emotions guide you 24x7. RUSSIANS are far from the only ones who can and WILL spread disinformation.

we know for a fact obama's admin did it to trump. RUSSIA is falling apart daily now. you defend the attacks on trump with RUSSIA but do you *ever* stop to consider it WAS all bullshit to get around a sitting president and in the end keep the attacks going so you can feel "justified" again with your emotions to keep going after trump?

if you want trump gone today here's your option. unfortunately it comes with tearing up the constitution to do it. that ok with you?

just tell me yes or not to that before we rage on into something else.

are you ok with destroying the constitution to get rid of trump?

we can do the rest of the discussion after that but i need to understand your position there before going on.

that and like i said - RUSSIA is far from the only ones who can lie to you and get you fighting your otherwise friends.

Russia, or the democrats who want trump gone?

it's a completely fair question anymore as our cities burn.

So it's no wonder why folks can't USE a simple ass discussion board anymore to sort things out and REASON things out.. It's like foreigners with no chance of understanding the concerns or the opinions of the others...
reason mag - i'll check it out.

Forum List

Back