Nobody doubts the M4 is an assault weapon. Are there any material differences between an M4 and an AR15?

BULLDOG

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2014
The M4 is the main rifle used by the US military, and no one could question that it is an assault rifle. The M4 is capable of full automatic fire, and 3 round burst, and the AR15 is not. Of course, it would be illegal, but the AR15 can easily be converted to allow those types of fire. Other than that difference, what makes an M4 an assault weapon, and an AR15 not?

Well, no, it cannot be "easily" converted-the receiver is different.
Most people could make an auto sear in their garage with a grinder and a vice. It wouldn't be legal, but it could be done pretty easily. However, the question was other than full auto, what are the material differences between the two rifles.

Aren't there any smart gun enthusiasts that can answer my question?

"assault weapon" isn't a valid description of anything. M4 isn't an "assault weapon" either.

Any weapon can be used in an assault. So I guess they are all "assault weapons" from a bb gun to a machine gun.
Whether assault rifles exist is a really dumb discussion. Our military has a definition of Assault Rifle, and the M4 certainly meets that definition. I'm asking how the M4 differs from an ar15, other than being full auto capable. I've already shown that the AR15 can be easily converted to full auto in #5.

Most people could make an auto sear in their garage with a grinder and a vice. It wouldn't be legal, but it could be done pretty easily. However, the question was other than full auto, what are the material differences between the two rifles.

Then what makes you think the government can ban them?....if everything can be made in a garage all that will be left with these guns are bad people...and you will be defenseless....why is that so hard for dumb libs to grasp?....

Then what makes you think the government can ban them?....if everything can be made in a garage all that will be left with these guns are bad people...and you will be defenseless....why is that so hard for dumb libs to grasp?....

You are certainly free to start a thread on all of that if you want to. This thread is about the differences between two rifles. Try to stay on subject.

The M4 is the main rifle used by the US military, and no one could question that it is an assault rifle. The M4 is capable of full automatic fire, and 3 round burst, and the AR15 is not. Of course, it would be illegal, but the AR15 can easily be converted to allow those types of fire. Other than that difference, what makes an M4 an assault weapon, and an AR15 not?
Depends how many hand grenades I'm carrying.

You are certainly free to start a thread on all of that if you want to. This thread is about the differences between two rifles. Try to stay on subject.

I thought this thread was about the ease in making automatic weapons out of semi auto....and how it can be done in a garage....am I wrong...

I thought this thread was about the ease in making automatic weapons out of semi auto....and how it can be done in a garage....am I wrong...

I have a giant sling shot between 2 trees that can shoot a bowling ball 327 yards. They said I had to stop doing it over the Interstate for some reason.

Yes, you are wrong. Reread the OP. Whether conversion can easily be done was questioned, and I showed that it could be easily done. Unless you question how hard it is to drop in an easily made piece or how hard it is to replace a few readily available parts, the question is what are the material differences.

I have a giant sling shot between 2 trees that can shoot a bowling ball 327 yards. They said I had to stop doing it over the Interstate for some reason.

I tried that with the neighbor's cat. The bastard scratched me up pretty bad, but that has nothing to do with material differences between the two rifles.

I tried that with the neighbor's cat. The bastard scratched me up pretty bad, but that has nothing to do with material differences between the two rifles.

Kitten darts.
Lean a mattress against the wall and paint a target on it ....the kids love tossing them.

Who cares. The 2nd Amendment specifically protects military arms.

Your argument is moot.

Ok. I guess nobody can tell of any material differences, other than full auto/ 3 round burst, between the two rifles. In a heads up comparison, the AR shows to be better in a wide range of tactical shooting tests.

Part of the actual definition of an assault rifle is that it is able to fire in fully automatic mode. AR-15s are simi-automatic and incapable of fully automatic fire. Weapons 101. A very high percentage of all firearms are simi-automatic and not assault anything. This is basic knowledge and essential for any rational discussion of firearms use.

Who cares. The 2nd Amendment specifically protects military arms.

Your argument is moot.
I understand you would prefer a different type of thread that would allow all your memorized talking points, but this thread is about what might be materially different between two rifles. This thread has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment. I asked a question which you either can't or choose not to answer. Not surprising.

Forum List

Back