No Visits

You need to provide more context dude.

Given the way Japan behaved during its colonial era, there can be no honor for those folks who did that. I can see and understand why Korea and China are so upset about the issue.

Reagan had to face the same issue when he visited that cemetery in Germany.

Of course, once they are dead, they are past caring, but honoring the memory of people who did the kinds of things the Japanese did in Korea and China really is not acceptable.

You need to provide more context dude.

Given the way Japan behaved during its colonial era, there can be no honor for those folks who did that. I can see and understand why Korea and China are so upset about the issue.

Reagan had to face the same issue when he visited that cemetery in Germany.

Of course, once they are dead, they are past caring, but honoring the memory of people who did the kinds of things the Japanese did in Korea and China really is not acceptable.

You realize of course that Yasukuni is a shrine to all of Japan's war dead from all of Japan's wars, not just WWII.

I like this decision for two reasons (one practical, the other personal). On the practical note, Japan's future rides heavily on East Asia and it's politically foolish to anger China and South Korea for a symbolic gesture. On the personal note, I went to Yasukuni on a day when one of the "take back the Northern Territories" groups visited and it was quite unsettling.

Unko, it doesn't honor only WWII, but it does only honor those who served Imperial Japan. All those who died because of wars after the San Francisco Peace Treaty are not enshrined. Also, national pride does not need to be limited simply to dead soldiers - especially not in 21st Century Japan.

You realize the Northern Territories are those occupied by Russia illegitimately since the END of WWII, right? Why would it "unsettle" you that people are concerned with that issue?

As for the rest, would you complain that your favorite painter or architect is not buried at Arlington National Cemetary? Think.

You realize the Northern Territories are those occupied by Russia illegitimately since the END of WWII, right? Why would it "unsettle" you that people are concerned with that issue?

I'm well aware of that. My reaction was visceral. It wasn't a group of people carrying signs, it was 30 uniformed men with buzz cuts marching in unison, cleaning themselves in unison, marching to the shrine in unison, praying in unison and marching away. As I said, it was unsettling.

As for Russia illegitimately occupying the Northern Territories, I agree, but do find a bit of inconsistency in my own stance that Japan should maintain possession of both the South Kuril Islands and the Senkaku Islands.

As for the rest, would you complain that your favorite painter or architect is not buried at Arlington National Cemetary? Think.

I hardly see how that's the same thing.

Forum List

Back