No Thread about the West Virginia Coal Mine Tragedy?...

mal

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2009
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde™
Seacoastonline.com

Well, here it is then...

I am a Coal Miner's Daughter's Son... Williamson... The Billion Dollar Coal Field.

My Family still Works the Argus...

Don Blankenship, the CEO of Massey is Kin from Matewan.

My Grandma was a Blankenship.

These people Live very simple and Hard Lives...

It Touches EVERY Person who's in Mining or Related to it.

Pray for that Community.

:)

peace...

Its a hard life and a very dangerous one.

Hopes and prayers are with them

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
Thoughts and prayers are with the miners and their families.

It is a hard life, and the people who live it are too often overlooked until something like this happens.

Its a hard life and a very dangerous one.

Hopes and prayers are with them

That it is... And Unappreciated by Many for what it is to almost Everyone.

peace...

Listening to reports on FOX news. Sounds as if the explosion did some very serious damage. I looked at my husband and said. "The must be some of the hardest work in the world." Tragic for the families. My prayers are with them.

• Thanks
Seacoastonline.com

Well, here it is then...

I am a Coal Miner's Daughter's Son... Williamson... The Billion Dollar Coal Field.

Pray for that Community.

peace...

So noted and of course I will.

Matewan, eh?

Great movie. Surely you must have seen it.

• Thanks
Seacoastonline.com

Well, here it is then...

Pray for that Community.

peace...

So noted and of course I will.

Matewan, eh?

Great movie. Surely you must have seen it.

I Own one... I Thought it was Called, "Matewan, Bloody Matewan"...

Now I gotta go diggin' in the VHS Boxes... ;)

Have you ever Stumbled back to the Elevated Hotel after a 2AM Breakfast @ Kings Diner in Williamson?... ;)

peace...

it's been on the new's all day. its horrable to loose a loved one .i been there and feel there pain.

Evidently, the company was cutting corners.

They did a cost analysis and figured it was cheaper to pay the fines than to fix the problems

Seacoastonline.com

Well, here it is then...

Pray for that Community.

peace...

My Dad worked as a foreman at Massey for a short time. This hits very close to home for me. My dad escaped falling rock one day as another man was killed, in a different mine, though. He never spoke of it after that. People who work mines are tough, they have to be

West Virginia Coal Mine Tragedy?...

SMOF00034.jpg

The explosion was preventable (my educated opinion) and the subsequent deaths are tragic. My heart is with all that suffer from this, including those that do not know the victims.

When working men die in mass by some accident or quirk of fate in being at the wrong place at the wrong time, it is a devastating shock to the surrounding community. I heard one story of a survivor that just missed being among the those killed. I heard similar stories after 9-11 when thousands died after intentional explosions of loaded airliners within the upper levels of the twin towers.

Life is fragile. Death happens. Death comes in all forms imaginable at whatever time all the ingredients are present. If the Edmund Fitzgerald hadn't been so long, so loaded and so pitched by a rogue storm, there might have been no reason to sing of the wreck.

If the Haitian earthquake had been weaker, there might not have been over 200,000 people killed.

The number killed is of less importance to me than the cause of the death of even a single person. Be it by accident, fluke, carelessness, gross negligence, intended harm, by nature, equipment failure or plain stupidity on the part of those controlling the mine...the explosion should not have happened. Mine safety is doable. I suspect a static electricity discharge, likely coincident with a lightning strike at ground level set off the methane gas...but the gas shouldn't have been there while the men were working. Detection of various gases and adequate ventilation have been available for decades.

Nothing we can do will bring those men back to life. We can only hope to prevent a similar happening in the future.

I am also from mining country. Underground miners earn every penney and benefit they get.

Above ground miners are just like hiway road workers though.

Forum List

Back