No Thanks, She Told the HR Manager...

I make more money collecting unemployment

That's what the girl told the HR manager today
when she was called to come in for an interview

Yep, who didn't see that coming
Funny that she said she "makes" money collecting unemployment. I'm guessing she hasn't worked a whole lot.
Maybe she said 'gets more money' and by the time it traveled through the grapevine...
Same difference, makes more money collecting unemployment
gets more money collecting unemployment

She knows she gets more money collecting unemployment
then she would working to earn a paycheck

The other side of that coin...…..now that states are opening up, how long does the unemployment clock keep ticking??? Eventually those UE checks will run out, and then she'll be whining

Dang, man. Guess it is going to be hard to find cheap labor for a while, until the benefits run out. Make more on unemployment with the COVID bonus and don't have to take a chance on the covid thing. Tough decision, eh?

The other side of that coin...…..now that states are opening up, how long does the unemployment clock keep ticking??? Eventually those UE checks will run out, and then she'll be whining
I thought it was extended to 2021
Did they really? Well that's still only about 6 months and as long as jobs & life get back to normal as everyone hopes.....sooner or later it will end. Then she'll be out of a UE check, and a job...….shooting herself in the foot

And if the unemployment office were to find out, her unemployment check would suddenly shoot all the way to zero...

Did they really? Well that's still only about 6 months and as long as jobs & life get back to normal as everyone hopes.....sooner or later it will end. Then she'll be out of a UE check, and a job...….shooting herself in the foot
That's what I thought, i'll look it up later
The way I see it...that's not the kind of person you'd want working for you anyway

Steven Malanga

Whatever Happened to the Work Ethic?

Whatever Happened to the Work Ethic?
I worked through the shutdown (and turned down jobs) because I have "essential skills" (meaning I missed out on that $600/wk "bonus"), but I agree with the people that got laid off or lost their jobs getting help.

I would have even agreed with capping their unemployment at FULL PAY, to make sure their bills were covered...

But paying people more FOR NOT WORKING was an open invitation for them to REFUSE TO RETURN TO WORK!!!

That will be here before you know it. We are almost into the month of June now and you know what has been said forever now, "There ain't no time like the present." In other words, you better score that job now while its still available.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

There should be a reporting line for this.
When on regular unemployment benefits you cannot refuse viable work. And viable doesn't mean you have to accept minimum wage employment if you've been earning significantly more than that, you can hold out for work that is more in alignment with your skillset and compensation rate, I just can't recall the percentage at the moment. If you do refuse to return to work you risk losing your benefits and having to pay some or all of the money back particularly if you've lied to them about not having refused an offer of work, among other things which is considered fraud. And you are supposed to be looking for work as well.

While we are under a stay at home order this has all changed. No one is required to look for work and I don't think accept work either because they want everyone to stay at home. That's why they're giving the $600.00/wk basically to encourage people to stay at home by providing them with the means to help them do without a job until we can get past the pandemic.

600.00/wk is the equivalent of working 40 hours a week at $15.00/hr. So for people who were earning only minimum wage, this money due to the pandemic is a windfall. For those earning around $15.00/hr this is 100% income replacement which is not normally what unemployment does - it provides around 20-25% of your normal weekly income.

Bottom line though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone accepting the government's money to help them out since it is a government policy that is prevenint people from being able to go to work.

There should be a reporting line for this.
When on regular unemployment benefits you cannot refuse viable work. And viable doesn't mean you have to accept minimum wage employment if you've been earning significantly more than that, you can hold out for work that is more in alignment with your skillset and compensation rate, I just can't recall the percentage at the moment. If you do refuse to return to work you risk losing your benefits and having to pay some or all of the money back particularly if you've lied to them about not having refused an offer of work, among other things which is considered fraud. And you are supposed to be looking for work as well.

While we are under a stay at home order this has all changed. No one is required to look for work and I don't think accept work either because they want everyone to stay at home. That's why they're giving the $600.00/wk basically to encourage people to stay at home by providing them with the means to help them do without a job until we can get past the pandemic.

600.00/wk is the equivalent of working 40 hours a week at $15.00/hr. So for people who were earning only minimum wage, this money due to the pandemic is a windfall. For those earning around $15.00/hr this is 100% income replacement which is not normally what unemployment does - it provides around 20-25% of your normal weekly income.

Bottom line though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone accepting the government's money to help them out since it is a government policy that is prevenint people from being able to go to work.
Actually, as the stay at home orders are being lifted, people ARE being required to look for work, and and accept suitable employment...

And if you turn down suitable work (or refuse to return to a job you were laid off from when they call you back), you must show that you have a VALID reason for doing so (NOT "I'm making more money on unemployment" or "I'm scared")...

If you don't have a valid reason for refusing to work, kiss that unemployment check goodbye!!!

Actually, since a lot of businesses won't reopen, you can expect the job market to tighten up as people return to work...

And that $600/wk STOPS on July 31 (meaning unemployment will go back to the original level)...

So if people delay and try to ride that extra $600/wk out, they just may find themselves getting hungry and behind on bills when they can't find a job!!!

I would also like to add a word of caution...

If you turn down a suitable job offer (or refuse to return to work when called back after a layoff), and attempt to continue collecting those nice unemployment checks, that constitutes UNEMPLOYMENT FRAUD, and can lead to imprisonment and a large fine, as well as a loss of future unemployment eligibility...

And some states REQUIRE employers to report people that don't return after a layoff!!!

DON'T RISK IT!!! IT'S NOT WORTH IT FOR A FEW BUCKS!!!

Forum List

Back