No prison for college cheating celebrities.

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
Prison is not a pleasant place and most of us would not want to go there. It should be reserved only for the most wicked among us, murderers, rapists et al. Some just never learn to conduct themselves without indulging in practices and habits that harm others like drug dealing and drug using that adversely affects children in their care so maybe prison is a place for them as well. Prison has been well established in most societies as a deterrent punishment based on deprivation of freedom. It works for the majority of society.

I am here to argue against prison for rich people who try to buy an advantage for their children to get into college. Short prison sentences for this kind of corruption, while embarrassing and inconvenient, are not really justice. These people feel justified in cheating the rest of us to swindle a deal for their kids while most have to struggle and sacrifice to make it.

I never got a sense of justice when Martha Stewart went to jail. She just picked up and continued on after and stayed rich. I would much prefer a system that completely destroys these offenders financially by seizing their wealth and prevents them working in their fields for at least a decade.

None of these wealthy celebrities is going to learn anything from a few months behind bars. But if they cannot work at their craft for ten years and find themselves working a checkout counter at a convenience store, that would be true justice.

What do you think?

Prison is not a pleasant place and most of us would not want to go there. It should be reserved only for the most wicked among us, murderers, rapists et al. Some just never learn to conduct themselves without indulging in practices and habits that harm others like drug dealing and drug using that adversely affects children in their care so maybe prison is a place for them as well. Prison has been well established in most societies as a deterrent punishment based on deprivation of freedom. It works for the majority of society.

I am here to argue against prison for rich people who try to buy an advantage for their children to get into college. Short prison sentences for this kind of corruption, while embarrassing and inconvenient, are not really justice. These people feel justified in cheating the rest of us to swindle a deal for their kids while most have to struggle and sacrifice to make it.

I never got a sense of justice when Martha Stewart went to jail. She just picked up and continued on after and stayed rich. I would much prefer a system that completely destroys these offenders financially by seizing their wealth and prevents them working in their fields for at least a decade.

None of these wealthy celebrities is going to learn anything from a few months behind bars. But if they cannot work at their craft for ten years and find themselves working a checkout counter at a convenience store, that would be true justice.

What do you think?
I think you're correct, Ray. Nice post, thank you.

I went to school with Lori Loughlin. She was a year or two behind me.

She used to be this nice, sweet girl who was friendly to everyone. After she got onto the soap "Edge Of Night" things started to change a little. She was all of 15 and you could tell that she was starting to believe that she was probably just a little bit better than everyone else. By the time me and my stoner buddies crashed a party at her house, she'd turned into a full-fledged bitch.

She would do well to spend a while in prison. Through working in the music industry for as long as I did, I know a lot of celebrities, and I haven't met too many who were as "high and mighty" as Lori. She needs to be knocked down a few rungs...

Prison is not a pleasant place and most of us would not want to go there. It should be reserved only for the most wicked among us,
I say- start with the politico's who encourage the behavior of lie, cheat and steal your way into a place you don't deserve- they are the wicked- most is not a question. More or less is still wicked, evil, etc.

That said; how many politico's made it into the "elite" schools on merit?

Today's ruling class, from Boston to San Diego, was formed by an educational system that exposed them to the same ideas and gave them remarkably uniform guidance, as well as tastes and habits. These amount to a social canon of judgments about good and evil, complete with secular sacred history, sins (against minorities and the environment), and saints. Using the right words and avoiding the wrong ones when referring to such matters -- speaking the "in" language -- serves as a badge of identity. Regardless of what business or profession they are in, their road up included government channels and government money because, as government has grown, its boundary with the rest of American life has become indistinct. Many began their careers in government and leveraged their way into the private sector. Some, e.g., Secretary of the Treasury Timothy Geithner, never held a non-government job. Hence whether formally in government, out of it, or halfway, America's ruling class speaks the language and has the tastes, habits, and tools of bureaucrats. It rules uneasily over the majority of Americans not oriented to government.
Read more at http://spectator.org/articles/39326/americas-ruling-class-and-perils-revolution

You wouldn't even have to actually take the money, you could just freeze their assests for ten years.

I wonder if the celebs were able to cut a deal where their kids would stay in college rather than be kicked out for fraud. I wouldn't doubt it.

I see no benefit in sending them to prison. They should have to fund some scholarships for underprivileged students.

What happened to the college admissions people who went along with the fraud? Were they charged? There is a lot more to this than a couple of actresses but the media seems reluctant to deal with it for some reason.

What happened to the college admissions people who went along with the fraud? Were they charged? There is a lot more to this than a couple of actresses but the media seems reluctant to deal with it for some reason.

They lost their jobs and were fined many thousands of dollars, money they will not have an easy time repaying, unlike the celebrities.

What do you think?

Why can't we extend the metaphor to rich politicians who blatantly lie, make false promises, then abuse the power of their position for personal gain?

Walmart-greeters.jpg

I believe the rich should serve their time in jail performing manual labor. Taking their money away and not allowing them to work in their profession as you propose has too many loopholes. For rich families (like say the heirs of Sam Walton) the guilty could easily live off the kindness of relatives for 10 years and beyond.

New Topics

Forum List

Back