No Name Biographies - Would you read one?

Chuz Life

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2015
USA
I have lived a life very different from what I first contemplated as a child. I think that everyone, my age and even younger most likely have some interesting stories to tell.

My quandary is that I am simply not a reader, myself. I don't have much energy, to consider my own ideas and thoughts, even when I have the time. . . So, I can not imagine donating the time to read a story about anyone else.

Therefore, I can not imagine myself or anyone else writing a book, especially about his or herself, if I would not likely care to read about most others.

Sometimes, I still get the urge to put pen to paper and share my thoughts and stories. . . and the whole process (described above) inevitably talks me back out of it.

This time, I thought I might as well see if anyone else has every experienced the same.

Why not?

We read them all the time ...

51TrWpIwMfL.jpg

If you have children, grand children, etc, your descendants might be interested in their family history.

Don't expect a best-seller as most people never heard of you.

No grandkids.

Not likely to ever have any.

Thanks for the insight.

At least you will leave behind some thing that say's you existed and it may influence some one in a positive way.

That's true for a while, I suppose.

On the other hand, I have lost so many loved ones and for as much as I loved and miss them all, I can't seem to find the time or energy to delve much into any of THEIR stories.

If you have children, grand children, etc, your descendants might be interested in their family history.

Don't expect a best-seller as most people never heard of you.

I did one for our family
Turned out to fascinating stuff

I have lived a life very different from what I first contemplated as a child. I think that everyone, my age and even younger most likely have some interesting stories to tell.

My quandary is that I am simply not a reader, myself. I don't have much energy, to consider my own ideas and thoughts, even when I have the time. . . So, I can not imagine donating the time to read a story about anyone else.

Therefore, I can not imagine myself or anyone else writing a book, especially about his or herself, if I would not likely care to read about most others.

Sometimes, I still get the urge to put pen to paper and share my thoughts and stories. . . and the whole process (described above) inevitably talks me back out of it.

This time, I thought I might as well see if anyone else has every experienced the same.

Why not?

I will and have read just about any kind of book out there. Well... I wouldn't read one on quantum physics or any of those romance books, but yeah, I probably would. Maybe they don't write very well, but their stories are interesting. Or perhaps they make not so interesting stories come alive with their talent as a wordsmith.

I've written my whole life. I wrote one when I was 11 about all my fellow brats of the neighborhood and everyone wanted to read it, lol!! I wife. charged them a dime!

I've written many humorous stories about the things that have happened as a redneck's wife. James has harangued me for years to write more, more, more. Maybe I should.

At least you will leave behind some thing that say's you existed and it may influence some one in a positive way.

That's true for a while, I suppose.

On the other hand, I have lost so many loved ones and for as much as I loved and miss them all, I can't seem to find the time or energy to delve much into any of THEIR stories.

I was the same for years. Especially about my mom. Her death left me feeling hollow and hopeless. I thought I would never be able to speak of her comfortably, let alone write about her.

One day, I was thinking of her and decided to jot down some thoughts of her. I wrote a few more short stories and it actually felt so freeing. Of course, it didn't take it all away but it did help. You might try it.

I have a very large library at home, I love books, and 98% of those books are biographies, I only read bios, I am fascinated by people's lives, particularly from certain era 1920s 30s 40s.

The lessons they learnt.....how their lives ended and why the decisions the made.....you know, all that.

If you are good at writing, try to put pen to paper, you won't regret it! :)

Why not?

Two kinds of authors exist: those who think about writing books—and those who actually have finished (written, edited and published) a book. For many years I could only write parts of stories; fragments of shorts, novellas and novels. One "day" in my early 40's something changed and I completed a whole novel. Before I knew it I'd written several more novels and many short stories. Frankly, I write for myself—to entertain myself—and care not if hordes of readers love my work. As for biographies of everyday people? The masses find that kind of thing fascinating. If they didn't social media would not exist.

Why not?
Your off spring may have some interest in knowing about you in the future. Maybe a better use of your time than being on this site. Who knows maybe you discover a talent you never knew you had. Movie are only two hours. Write your biography pick best parts maybe you end up with a pay check. Crazier things have happened.

Why not?
I think there is a "great American author" in many of us who might or might not ever write. I think it is sad to think of so many interesting stories that will never be written or known by others.

You say you feel the urge to write something. The next time it happens just do it. Don't go into "the process" at all in your mind that puts the breaks on and talks you out of it. Maybe little bits at a time, nothing to stress about regarding wasting time. If you have these writing urges during a certain time of day you could pretty much assume that's the best time to target, but again...no stress, no time conditions, nothing. Your only purpose is to break free from fear of failure, or fear of success, or what sounds like for you the fear of wasting your time. You will know if it feels worthwhile just by making the effort to find out. If you find out that you don't enjoy it, you will at least know you tried and will have peace about it.

The above suggestions are what I need personally, so they might not work for you. When I read your comments about the value of time and talking yourself out of it, I related instantly to that stumbling block. Many writers think of it as journaling with autobiographies...one memory at a time. Good luck and I hope you give it a try!

You could write your biography, but not publish it.
You could just share it with your family and friends.
Some people put their bios in those Family Tree programs for other people to read.

I have a very large library at home, I love books, and 98% of those books are biographies, I only read bios, I am fascinated by people's lives, particularly from certain era 1920s 30s 40s.

The lessons they learnt.....how their lives ended and why the decisions the made.....you know, all that.

If you are good at writing, try to put pen to paper, you won't regret it! :)

I have a very good (sizable) vocabulary, thanks mostly to my years on forums like this one.

As far as a writing style?

I probably don't read enough of other published works to know what readers an / or publishers are looking for.

Why not?
I think there is a "great American author" in many of us who might or might not ever write. I think it is sad to think of so many interesting stories that will never be written or known by others.

You say you feel the urge to write something. The next time it happens just do it. Don't go into "the process" at all in your mind that puts the breaks on and talks you out of it. Maybe little bits at a time, nothing to stress about regarding wasting time. If you have these writing urges during a certain time of day you could pretty much assume that's the best time to target, but again...no stress, no time conditions, nothing. Your only purpose is to break free from fear of failure, or fear of success, or what sounds like for you the fear of wasting your time. You will know if it feels worthwhile just by making the effort to find out. If you find out that you don't enjoy it, you will at least know you tried and will have peace about it.

The above suggestions are what I need personally, so they might not work for you. When I read your comments about the value of time and talking yourself out of it, I related instantly to that stumbling block. Many writers think of it as journaling with autobiographies...one memory at a time. Good luck and I hope you give it a try!

Interesting thoughts.

Honestly, I hadn't considered some of them, before.

Forum List

Back