No Mow May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be on denial.

Potatohead did exactly what he said he was going to do because of the Environmental Wacko agenda and now we are all paying the price for it.
If you say so, and I am not saying that has nothing to do with it, even if the biggest part was just pissing off the oil people by not kissing their ass. Maybe he didn't have to. We are all kissing the oil companies as, as government doesn't get anything out of it, based on the price. Their cut is the same per gallon cut as always, but the oil companies are making out like bandits.

Sounds like you need to move some possums into your area. They are big tick eaters.

I'm a believer in "take care of your possum and your possum will take care of you". I toss my resident possum scraps in the winter to keep it around....Nary a tick come this time of year either. ;)
I didn't realize. Good to know. I don't hate them because so far they haven't bit my dog. If they show teeth he stays back. And they play dead and he doesn't hurt them because he's a PBGV. Little bad ass but all bark.

Neat idea, but two things:

1) the city will come out and mow your lawn for you for a nice fee, if you try this

2) How in the hell do you plan to mow your yard after letting it go for a month? With a bulldozer?
If it gets too long, cut it I guess. But maybe you can go 2 or 3 weeks.

This will shock you to know, but in some places it is cheaper to mow your grass than have the city slap a weed lien on your property after they pay someone else to do it for you. Around here they pay the mowers about $50 to mow it and then put a $275 lien on your property.
If your city isn't down with this, don't participate. I understand. Liberal cities like Ann Arbor and Royal Oak, MI are letting people do this. It's a new thing called No Mow May. I started this thread to spread the word.

Someone already posted a link for electric mowers. Recently, I saw an ad on the 'net that was for an electric riding lawnmower, and it said it would mow 2 1/2 acres on a single charge, so you really don't need a gas mower if you don't want one.

That being said, it's really not that expensive to mow the lawn with gas. My fiancee lives on a large tract of land (her parents own a lot of land as well as a trailer park, all total probably around 4 to 5 acres of mowing) and it can be done for around 5 or 6 gallons of gas on a riding mower. (Yeah, riding mowers are the bomb, never used one until I started living here with her. Before that it was a push mower in the city.) We only have to do it around every 2 weeks or so.

As far as goats? Used to raise them when I was in high school, and they kept the grass golf course short and looking good. Also ate a lot of the weeds that would have needed a weed eater to get at. And, if you keep the doe away from the buck, the milk is actually better tasting (to me anyway) than cows milk, as it has smaller fat globs in it. Makes better ice cream too. Another benefit is that your skin won't break out like it does when you drink cows milk. Went through all of high school without any acne.

As far as the mow free May thing? Sorry, can't quite get behind that one as I like my yard to look good.

United States uses more than 600 million gallons of gas to mow and trim lawns each year

What is 600 million x $4 a gallon? Is it $2.4 billion? $2,400,000,000

If gas goes up to $5 a gallon we will spend $3,000,000,000

Never heard of it. Maybe it was invented by Canadians who don't have to mow until August.
Where I live in Michigan, I think we could survive not moving for a month. I walk my dog in the school fields. The baseball fields, soccer fields none of it's mowed and it's May 21st. That grass looks like the grass in our backyards. I think we could go a month.

In Florida, they have this grass it almost seems fake. And it doesn't grow or need to be cut like our grass in Michigan.

Ever mow a lawn that hasn’t been mowed in a month?
How do you think we got our lawn gigs when we were kids? We rode our bikes around the neighborhood. Anyone with an unkept lawn, we knocked on their door and asked them if they wanted us to cut their grass.

Don't be on denial.

Potatohead did exactly what he said he was going to do because of the Environmental Wacko agenda and now we are all paying the price for it.
That's true, a little. You're blaming him for gas prices and that's not fair but his or our environmentalism is going to cost you a little. So is your agenda of buying American. It's a little more expensive but it's worth it.

If you say so, and I am not saying that has nothing to do with it, even if the biggest part was just pissing off the oil people by not kissing their ass. Maybe he didn't have to. We are all kissing the oil companies as, as government doesn't get anything out of it, based on the price. Their cut is the same per gallon cut as always, but the oil companies are making out like bandits.
I'm sure the Oil CEO's vote Republican. Anybody doubt that? And for the record, those same CEO's are CEO's of alternative energy companies too. They'll control our energy one way or the other.

But my point is this. If the oil companies and Russia want Republicans back in power, what better year than a midterm to raise gas prices and start a war?

But then gas was high at the end of Bush's watch so that would mean the oil companies wanted Obama to win in 2008 and we all know that's not true.

Great thing about Zoysia is that if you are in an area where it goes completely dormant, all you have to do is spray anything green with weedkiller and your yard will be weed free the next year. Our golf course has Bermuda fairways and greens. They dye the greens green in winter and spray roundup like mad in the fairways and roughs in winter.
My brother has 65 acres. I don't know how big the center field is but it looks like a couple football fields maybe 3. Longer and wider than 2 football fields. The rest is woods. It's so fucking nice. And at the back is woods so thick the only time we can walk along the river is in the winter when the snow is deep and has covered all the muck sink holes the kind you step in and lose your boots. It was cool to see the deer highways crossing the river. Maybe 5 major crossings. I'd love to shoot a deer back there but how would you drag it out of there? It'd be a bitch. And what if it ran across the river to the other side? So we leave the back alone. It's called a deer sactuary and any good hunting property leaves a section where you don't fuck with the deer. Give them a safe place. They already have to worry about coyote.

Also, my brother doesn't have a grass that needs to be mowed and we put up things to help bees. I'm going to hang a bunch up this year. This is up north MI where it's like 90% woods and 10% little towns. I call it god's country. I don't think bees should be having a problem up there. It's still so wild.

Mow your lawn, you retard. We don’t need your weeds.
Yes you do

Weeds can perform vital ecosystem services such as protecting and restoring exposed or degraded soils. In addition, some weeds provide habitat for beneficial organisms, and thereby contribute significantly to natural and biological control of some insect pests. Certain weeds also make nutritious food or fodder.

When I was young my Greek Yaya took me in the open field to pick dandilions. We picked a million, popped their heads off, boiled the stems and put lemon on them and then ate them. With food shortages coming you need to wisen up. God it feels like the end of days are upon us don't it?

Yes you do

Weeds can perform vital ecosystem services such as protecting and restoring exposed or degraded soils. In addition, some weeds provide habitat for beneficial organisms, and thereby contribute significantly to natural and biological control of some insect pests. Certain weeds also make nutritious food or fodder.

When I was young my Greek Yaya took me in the open field to pick dandilions. We picked a million, popped their heads off, boiled the stems and put lemon on them and then ate them. With food shortages coming you need to wisen up. God it feels like the end of days are upon us don't it?
Then plant them elsewhere. But no. We don’t need your weeds.

Now your lawn. I’ll make sure mine is mowed as needed.

I'm sure the Oil CEO's vote Republican. Anybody doubt that? And for the record, those same CEO's are CEO's of alternative energy companies too. They'll control our energy one way or the other.

But my point is this. If the oil companies and Russia want Republicans back in power, what better year than a midterm to raise gas prices and start a war?

But then gas was high at the end of Bush's watch so that would mean the oil companies wanted Obama to win in 2008 and we all know that's not true.
All the big money wanted BO to keep the money train rolling and refilling the money pots at the top after the Bush crash.
I think this is different. Everybody to took 2020 and part of 2021 off or Covid, cutting down on drilling, but not effecting pumping of existing much and lowering demand on processing and of course people at processing plants were also effected by Covid. Production lowered and did not increase equal to demand yet, profits increased on lower sales. As an Operations guy, not a sales guy as often, higher profits on lower production would be like a gift from God, I would pray not to come to an end. What could possibly make me want to spend more on exploring more raw materials and increasing processing costs to lower my own return on investment by filling the marketplace with product to the point I have to compete for output to stay ahead of the curve, when I can just coast and blame it on somebody else, like government? Would you spend more, to create a lower per unit sale price while increasing costs? Come on, Man! It's a business 101 question.

All the big money wanted BO to keep the money train rolling and refilling the money pots at the top after the Bush crash.
I think this is different. Everybody to took 2020 and part of 2021 off or Covid, cutting down on drilling, but not effecting pumping of existing much and lowering demand on processing and of course people at processing plants were also effected by Covid. Production lowered and did not increase equal to demand yet, profits increased on lower sales. As an Operations guy, not a sales guy as often, higher profits on lower production would be like a gift from God, I would pray not to come to an end. What could possibly make me want to spend more on exploring more raw materials and increasing processing costs to lower my own return on investment by filling the marketplace with product to the point I have to compete for output to stay ahead of the curve, when I can just coast and blame it on somebody else, like government? Would you spend more, to create a lower per unit sale price while increasing costs? Come on, Man! It's a business 101 question.
I'm in manufacturing. People weren't buying new machines but my aftermarket sales kept our business afloat. I was furloughed 3 days and they called me back as an essential worker. How long were you off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics

Forum List

Back