No meat on Friday?

Two Thumbs

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2010
Where ever I go, there I am.
Is that just for Catholics?

Also, while going to Catholic School, we were fed fish on Friday more often than not.

I asked a nun and she told me fish wasn't meat. Since you just don't call nuns liars, I asked a Junior Preist. He got all bent outta shape and his response was useless and long.

So, why can Catholics ear fish on Friday?

Please don't tell me it's not meat.

Note to the god haters; This is a serious question, please keep your blather off the thread. Thank you.

They did away with the meatless Firdays decades ago.

But what happened to all those people who were sentenced to hell for eating meat on Fiday before the ban was lifted?

Also, while going to Catholic School, we were fed fish on Friday more often than not.

I asked a nun and she told me fish wasn't meat. Since you just don't call nuns liars, I asked a Junior Priest. He got all bent outta shape and his response was useless and long.

Note to the god haters; This is a serious question, please keep your blather off the thread. Thank you.

Many of the branches of Catholic doctrine eat fish on Friday's. Not just the Catholic church.
Why? Because it is to abstain from warm blooded flesh meat not just meat.
It was wrong of the nun to tell you that fish was not meat.
the reason why the church did it;
it is a penance imposed by the Church to commemorate the day of the Crucifixion of Our Lord – to enable us to make a small sacrifice for the incredible sacrifice He made for our salvation. Why, then, is fish allowed? The drawing of a symbolic fish in the dirt was a way that the early Christians knew each other when it was dangerous to admit in public that one was Christian. Our Lord cooked fish for His Apostles after His Resurrection, and most of these men were fisherman. After He established His Church, these fishermen became “fishers of men” for the Kingdom of God.

They did away with the meatless Firdays decades ago.

But what happened to all those people who were sentenced to hell for eating meat on Fiday before the ban was lifted?

How many decades?

B/c in the 80's meat, except for fish, was a no no.

From what I can gather and except for Lent, it appears that the meatless Friday rule was relaxed in 1966 so long as another form of penance is substituted. It also appears that the meatless Friday rule may have been reinstated.

It's all very confusing.

Our kids' Catholic school only had "no meat" on Fridays during Lent. Fish was ok.

I'll research it later, but I remember hearing that it was originally started to help the poor fishermen. It was not a religious creed, but an economic powerplay by the fishing lobby.

I believe senior citizens and children are exempted from the rule.

Our kids' Catholic school only had "no meat" on Fridays during Lent. Fish was ok.

I'll research it later, but I remember hearing that it was originally started to help the poor fishermen. It was not a religious creed, but an economic powerplay by the fishing lobby.

I believe senior citizens and children are exempted from the rule.
The fishing lobby = the Apostles

lol

Catholics between the ages of 18 and 59 are obliged to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. In addition, all Catholics 14 years old and older must abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday and all the Fridays of Lent.

...failure to observe individual days of penance is not considered serious. Moral theologians remind us that some people are excused from fasting and/or abstinence because of sickness or other reasons.

Lent: Fasting and Abstinence

I asked a nun and she told me fish wasn't meat. Since you just don't call nuns liars, I asked a Junior Priest. He got all bent outta shape and his response was useless and long.

Many of the branches of Catholic doctrine eat fish on Friday's. Not just the Catholic church.
Why? Because it is to abstain from warm blooded flesh meat not just meat.
It was wrong of the nun to tell you that fish was not meat.
the reason why the church did it;
it is a penance imposed by the Church to commemorate the day of the Crucifixion of Our Lord – to enable us to make a small sacrifice for the incredible sacrifice He made for our salvation. Why, then, is fish allowed? The drawing of a symbolic fish in the dirt was a way that the early Christians knew each other when it was dangerous to admit in public that one was Christian. Our Lord cooked fish for His Apostles after His Resurrection, and most of these men were fisherman. After He established His Church, these fishermen became “fishers of men” for the Kingdom of God.

Thanks.

I still don't see the big difference between eating a warm blooded animal and a fish.

something dies so we can eat it eat meat.

and if the symbol was a fish...

ohh, my head

Forum List

Back