No links. No proof. Just a simple question. When you go to a bar or a restaurant, do you wander around greeting everyone in the bar, etc.?

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
I'm not taking a position. I just wondering how by going to a bar where tables are "socially distanced" would be a high spreader of COVID.
Now reading this study that is based on a correlation between cell phone usage and COVID cases is one of the major contributors.
Here is the basis.
Mining mobile phone data, scientists tracked 98 million people’s hourly movements from March 1 to May 2 to places they visited regularly, and then mapped their movements to nearly 533,000 locations onto models of infectious disease spread.
The simulated transmission rates accurately predicted actual daily case counts in neighborhoods of 10 large metropolitan areas, including Chicago, New York City, and San Francisco. That allowed them to identify which “superspreader” venues pose the greatest risk, which socioeconomic factors matter, and what works to diminish the danger.
So from the conclusion that cell phone traffic correlated to areas of COVID cases counts seems to be the primary basis for shutting down bars and restaurants.

I'm not making any conclusions. I am just making an observation based on my personal experience.
If I go to a bar with a friend we would sit at the bar or possibly have a table. Maybe we'd get up and dance together...but again it would be my partner and I... not a group of people.
Or if I went to a restaurant with a friend. Again based on social distanced tables it would be just my partner and myself.
But from my own personal, subjective experience, my partner and I don't interact with even friends much less unknown bar/restaurant patrons.
I'm just making a comment. No judgement here. No facts for my opinion.

I'm not taking a position. I just wondering how by going to a bar where tables are "socially distanced" would be a high spreader of COVID.
Now reading this study that is based on a correlation between cell phone usage and COVID cases is one of the major contributors.
Here is the basis.
Mining mobile phone data, scientists tracked 98 million people’s hourly movements from March 1 to May 2 to places they visited regularly, and then mapped their movements to nearly 533,000 locations onto models of infectious disease spread.
The simulated transmission rates accurately predicted actual daily case counts in neighborhoods of 10 large metropolitan areas, including Chicago, New York City, and San Francisco. That allowed them to identify which “superspreader” venues pose the greatest risk, which socioeconomic factors matter, and what works to diminish the danger.
So from the conclusion that cell phone traffic correlated to areas of COVID cases counts seems to be the primary basis for shutting down bars and restaurants.

I'm not making any conclusions. I am just making an observation based on my personal experience.
If I go to a bar with a friend we would sit at the bar or possibly have a table. Maybe we'd get up and dance together...but again it would be my partner and I... not a group of people.
Or if I went to a restaurant with a friend. Again based on social distanced tables it would be just my partner and myself.
But from my own personal, subjective experience, my partner and I don't interact with even friends much less unknown bar/restaurant patrons.

You're looking for a scientific explanation where no science is involved.

But thanks for giving me one more reason not to own a cellphone.

I always scan the bar or restaurant when I come in the door, looking for anything unusual, and making a mental note of the other entrances and exits.

Then I sit with my back to a solid wall, where I can see the entrances and exits. Just because I'm in a familiar place doesn't mean I leave my situational awareness in the car.

Here is the basis.

Depends on the place. I'm fairly well known in my town, so in more informal settings there would likely be quite a lot of circulating and greetings and such.

Not right now, of course, but in normal times.

Here is the basis.

Depends on the place. I'm fairly well known in my town, so in more informal settings there would likely be quite a lot of circulating and greetings and such.

Not right now, of course, but in normal times.

Same here. For me, it depends on the place. If I go to a fancy place with a date, we pretty much keep to ourselves. However, if I went to the various biker bars I frequented at one time, every time I went in, there would be handshakes, back slapping and hugs, because everyone knew me. At one time, I was the manager/bartender of one of them called Boondocks. And, if I came back from a long ride (several days to a week, which I did around every 6 months), everyone would come up to me and ask how the ride went and where did I go.

Bars exist for socializing, so I see little point in going to one unless it also has a dance floor. Sitting around in some dive watching each other get drunk isn't what I personally would be doing; I can stay home and annoy the neighbors.

The study is bullshit. It says "low income" residents are frontline workers and get more exposure to the Kung Flu. If they are in the healthcare industry, they are not "low income." The fact is "low income" people generally have low levels of Vitamin D and therefore have compromised immune systems. Somalians who for some reason were allowed into northern Europe and Scandinavia are much more likely to get sick because they need much more sun than Europeans. That said if the governments were serious about citizens, they would simply require businesses to install something like Austin Air Purifiers which uses carbon based filters that trap impurities the size of the Kung Flu molecule. And install UV lights over things that are touched such as door knobs. Plus, governments who built Kung Flu specific hospitals to deal with "overwhelmed" ER's in typical hospitals. But recall when President Trump sent the Sfachime Cuomo in New York the Navy's hospital ship the Comfort to NYC? It basically was not needed at the peak of the Kung Flu season.

Last edited:
When I walk in my watering hole, I whip it out and do the elephant and slap everybody on the knee with it! Just kidding, but I do hug the normal people. I'm still alive.

But recall when President Trump sent the Sfachime Cuomo in New York the Navy's hospital ship the Comfort to NYC? It basically was not needed at the peak of the Kung Flu season.

It's not that it wasn't needed, but rather the rules and restrictions for allowing patients onboard, as they didn't want any virus patients onboard because ships are enclosed systems. And yeah, because of those restrictions, it really wasn't needed. It was only a political stunt by Trump to pretend he was doing something about the virus. If you ask me, it was a waste of time, money and deployment. Yeah, it sounded like he was doing something about it, but in reality, he wasn't.

Forum List

Back