No Halloween Costumes For Seattle Students

JeannieD

Keyboard Warrior
Aug 23, 2012
The staff at Lafayette Elementary School in West Seattle has decided to uphold its decision not to allow students to dress up for Halloween this year, according to a Seattle Public Schools spokeswoman.

“The principal said that staff also had a conversation about cultural issues that will also be discussed further, but the reason for the final decision about costumes this year was due to instructional time.”

On Monday, a parent of a Lafayette student said that a school vice principal told him that costumes were being banned because observing Halloween might be offensive to some students

UPDATE: No Halloween costumes for Lafayette students, school staff says | The Today File | Seattle Times

One school in one city....it's an epidemic!!

The pressure is on to boost the little goblins' test scores, that's all that matters according to the powers that be.

If they want to Trick-or-Treat let them do it in their own neighborhoods like kids have done for decades.

If they had the costume party some idiot would put up a link to that article that gave the school hell for wasting time with foolishness and promoting devil worshiping.

You can't win no matter what you do...

I can't stand Halloween, but kids in the US have dressed up in costume for years. I see no reason for this to change just because a few parents might be offended.

I can't stand Halloween, but kids in the US have dressed up in costume for years. I see no reason for this to change just because a few parents might be offended.

I don't know about OZ, but here in some cases the complaining parents run the school.
They complain to the principle and or the school board members. Shit rolls downhill on to the teachers. Assume the position.

example:

a few years ago the weather forcast was for a big snow on a school day. The superintendant cancelled school. the weather forcast was wrong, we only got a dusting.

The parents in the county were furious because they had to babysit their own kids. Never mind that the county has two weeks of snow days worked into the schedule anyway.

Last edited:
Some pretty hard-core fundamentalists really do look at celebrating Halloween as devil worship.

Seems like a bit of an over reaction but...

You see the same thing among some immigrants from Brazil where there are some pretty strictly fundamentalist Baptists and other groups (some of which are a little...different).

Forum List

Back