No Amphibious Primates

Is it strange there are no amphibious or fully aquatic primates?

• Total voters

The2ndAmendment

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2013
In a dependant and enslaved country.
How strange. Whales and dolphins are smart mammals that evolved from land and back into the sea, but there is not a single primate or close human relative that ever ventured back into the sea.

I just realized how strange that is.

I saw my niece watching the "Little Mermaid" and it struck me how strange it is that there actually are NOT any amphibious or fully aquatic primates.

Oh my God. Oh God. Oh fuck. Why even bother with this site anymore. Wow. I need to find a hobby. Jesus T2A. Why...

What?

I'm just wondering since humans and other primates can swim, I wonder why natural selection culled any amphibious primate branches. Humans do have webbed fingers (ever so slightly).
Here's an even better question...

Why aren't there any aerial primates? Why aren't there any primates that can fly around like an eagle???? Hmmmmmm???

Oh my God. Oh God. Oh fuck. Why even bother with this site anymore. Wow. I need to find a hobby. Jesus T2A. Why...

What?

I'm just wondering since humans and other primates can swim, I wonder why natural selection culled any amphibious primate branches. Humans do have webbed fingers (ever so slightly).
Actually humans are the only great apes that swim.

As the Sumerians believed... Life emerged from Tiamat (Saltwater primordial waters & Chaos) and Abzu (Freshwater primordial waters)...

What?

Oh my God I hope you're joking. Are you joking? Please for the love of God tell me you're joking.

What?

Why aren't there any aerial primates? Why aren't there any primates that can fly around like an eagle???? Hmmmmmm???

Whether or not you're being sarcastic, that too is a good question.

What?

Most great apes can wade in rivers, which forces them to stand upright to avoid drowning...

What?

Oh fuck... maybe mankind's best hope is Asia.

What?

I had never considered why humans had never developed flight like bats before.......

oh wait.....

They say that there is no stupid question in science- so in that vein- why would primates have gone back to the sea?

There are extremely few cases of a mammal species doing such a thing- the whale family which includes whale s and dolphins, and seals- and that is pretty much it.

There is a huge amount of adaptation to get to that stage- just think about adaptations that allow them to process sea water internally to make fresh water?

There is no records of members of the camel family going back to the sea, or members of the cat family...or squirrels- why haven't squirrels gone back?

Well it all goes back to evolution- first of all is there some advantage to going to the sea- and second is there a population that successully adapts to that opportunity.

Primates are basically distinguished by their hands- and aquatic species quickly lose the functioning of what would be forearms/forelegs- why would primates evolve to the sea?

How strange. Whales and dolphins are smart mammals that evolved from land and back into the sea, but there is not a single primate or close human relative that ever ventured back into the sea.

I just realized how strange that is.

I saw my niece watching the "Little Mermaid" and it struck me how strange it is that there actually are NOT any amphibious or fully aquatic primates.

Erm:

P4040977_t479.jpg

Actually I just found this BBC production:

Wow. Here click this link and go the "reception" part.
Aquatic ape hypothesis - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Then go back to posting about the 2nd amendment. Which I hope you at least know SOMETHING about.

It seems you have a personal problem with me outside of this thread.

Anyway what I read was: No established scholars have tested the theory.

I watched two presentations on it in the past couple of hours, today (tonight) was the first time I had ever seen it. It certainly has "Occam's Razor" appeal, which is how wikipedia should have stated it.

Forum List

Back