NJ Gov. John Corzine seriously injured in car crash

Dirt McGirt

Bad Mother****er
Dec 19, 2006
N.J. governor critical after SUV crash

By GEOFF MULVIHILL, Associated Press Writer 25 minutes ago

CAMDEN, N.J. - New Jersey Gov. Jon S. Corzine was in critical condition Friday but expected to recover after his motorcade was hit on the Garden State Parkway and crashed into a guardrail, breaking his leg, six ribs, his sternum and fracturing a vertebrae.

Authorities were searching for a pickup truck driver whose actions were blamed for the crash.

Corzine, 60, won't be able to resume his duties as governor for several days, if not weeks, and he won't walk normally for months, his doctor said. Fortunately, he did not suffer any brain damage in the crash, said Dr. Robert Ostrum, who performed two hours of surgery on the governor Thursday night at Cooper University Hospital.

"He's in serious shape, but he's alive and going to survive. Hopefully, he'll be back to work in a few weeks," said state Senate President Richard Codey, who took over as acting governor, speaking Friday on WNBC-TV.

Corzine was in the front passenger's seat of a sport utility vehicle driven by a state trooper when a white pickup truck swerved to avoid a red pickup truck that had moved onto the highway from the shoulder, State Police Superintendent Rick Fuentes said. The white pickup hit the passenger side of the SUV, sending it skidding into a guardrail. The red pickup left the scene.

The crash occurred around 6 p.m. while Corzine was en route from Atlantic City to the governor's mansion in Princeton to moderate a meeting between the Rutgers women's basketball team and radio personality Don Imus.

Imus was fired from his CBS radio program Thursday amid furor about racially charged comments he made about the team on air. The closed-door meeting went on without Corzine, and lasted for about three hours.

Fuentes said it was unclear whether the governor was wearing his seat belt at the time of the crash.

Troopers in a vehicle following Corzine's administered first aid and called for help. Corzine, Trooper Robert Rasinski and a gubernatorial aide were flown by helicopter to the hospital.

When Corzine arrived at the hospital, doctors said he was conscious but had several injuries: a femur bone broken in two places that had lacerated his skin, a broken sternum, six broken ribs on each side, a head laceration and a minor fracture on a lower vertebrae. Rasinski had minor injuries and the aide was fine.

The governor was moved to the hospital's trauma intensive care unit after surgery and was listed in critical but stable condition early Friday. He was sedated and receiving pain medication.

Ostrum said a rod was inserted in Corzine's leg, and additional operations were scheduled for Saturday and Monday. The injuries were not considered life-threatening, but it would be at least three to six months before Corzine could walk normally, he said.

"He's got a pretty significant rehab in front of him," Ostrum said.

Corzine, a Democrat who gave up his seat in the U.S. Senate to become governor, went into politics after being ousted from Goldman Sachs, where he had been CEO, in a power dispute in 1999. He was elected to the Senate the following year.

The acting governor, Codey, also served as acting governor for about 14 months before Corzine took office last year following former Gov. James McGreevey's resigning over an extramarital affair with a man.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070413/ap_on_re_us/corzine_crash

The crash occurred around 6 p.m. while Corzine was en route from Atlantic City to the governor's mansion in Princeton to moderate a meeting between the Rutgers women's basketball team and radio personality Don Imus.
This whole Imus thing gets crazier and crazier.

That's what he gets for riding in a Fossil Fuel Belching SUV.

I wonder if he ever voted for any mandatory seatbelt laws.

Good question. The article I read stated that he never wears a seatbelt. Go figure.

You know, when the mandatory seatbelt law went into affect here in California, I was in the early stages of my driving experience, I thought it infringed on my freedom of choice and I still do, I feel the same way about helmet laws for motorcyclists. These sorts of laws, I feel, are good for kids, but after the age of 18, if you want to be foolish, that is your right. I don't need the government acting as my babysitter.

In the long run, however, it takes mere seconds to put on a seatbelt or a helmet, and either device could potentially limit bodily injury and maybe save your life. Seems like a small price to pay if you ask me.

End this. A gov. that was hoping for some air time. Unfortunate accident, I hope he's alright, but that does not mitigate the fact that he was hoping for national coverage via Imas of all things. Gag.

The weirdness just compounds itself. I'm no fan of rich Democrats who'd nail the rest of us for not wearing seatbelts but clearly don't think they need bother with the same bothers, but man, that is awful. Hope he mends.

Forum List

Back