Night Sky

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
This is one of a few sci-fi series I recommend. While most sci-fi series depend on unanswered questions and things that go boo in the night to keep you coming back, this series adds good acting and character development by Sissy Spacek and J.K. Simmons, both academy award winners. They play Irene and Franklin York who have kept a secret chamber for many years that leads to a deserted planet.

It is on Prime. You might want to give it a try.

Last edited:
We have watched the first 4.
The first two episodes I would give a solid A. Interesting, good characters and two outstanding actors to play them.
Episode 3 concentrates on more on the Argentina side of the story, which isn't all that interesting to me. Not nearly as much as Irene and Franklin.
Episode 4 concentrates on "Jude", which honestly half way through the first season they should have provided at least a semblance of who this guy is and how did he show up when Irene was just getting ready to commit suicide.
We don't have the faintest idea, if Jude is a good guy or a bad guy.
I am afraid, once again, we are seeing yet another show do what I would call "episode bait". (Think click bait on the internet)
Keep introducing new questions while never answering old ones. A tactic designed not to tell the story well... but just hopefully keep people watching because they want to know what is happening.
Lazy writing is what it is.
In far better series like Breaking Bad, Boardwalk, Ozark... yes new questions and characters appear... of course... but they answer and resolve conflicts and questions before and during the process of introducing new ones.

We have watched the first 4.
The first two episodes I would give a solid A. Interesting, good characters and two outstanding actors to play them.
Episode 3 concentrates on more on the Argentina side of the story, which isn't all that interesting to me. Not nearly as much as Irene and Franklin.
Episode 4 concentrates on "Jude", which honestly half way through the first season they should have provided at least a semblance of who this guy is and how did he show up when Irene was just getting ready to commit suicide.
We don't have the faintest idea, if Jude is a good guy or a bad guy.
I am afraid, once again, we are seeing yet another show do what I would call "episode bait". (Think click bait on the internet)
Keep introducing new questions while never answering old ones. A tactic designed not to tell the story well... but just hopefully keep people watching because they want to know what is happening.
Lazy writing is what it is.
In far better series like Breaking Bad, Boardwalk, Ozark... yes new questions and characters appear... of course... but they answer and resolve conflicts and questions before and during the process of introducing new ones.
I agree with you about episode bait but it works. I've watch all of season 1. I found it worth watching because of the fine performance by the lead actors and the script. The End of season 1 is designed to make audiences crave more. However, Amazon has not committed to a 2nd season. I would suggest holding off watching the last episode until Amazon commits.

We already have too many orphan series where viewers are left waiting for season 2 that will never happen. I use to think most of these orphans were not worth watching but that is not the case. Many good series die for reasons that have nothing to do with quality of the production. Netflix has a category called limited series. So you know the series will have a concluding episode. I don't think Amazon does that.

Last edited:
I agree with you about episode bait but it works. I've watch all of season 1. I found it worth watching because of the fine performance by the lead actors and the script. The End of season 1 is designed to make audiences crave more. However, Amazon has not committed to a 2nd season. I would suggest holding off watching the last episode until Amazon commits. We already have too many orphan series where viewers are left waiting for season 2 that will never happen. I use to think most of these orphans were not worth watching but that is not the case. Many good series die for reasons that have nothing to do with quality of the production.
If Amazon Prime video wasn't a "free" perk for having Prime Shipping - I would not subscribe.
They are famous for 2 things -
1) Orphaning a series. Even when reasonably popular. They have no staying power.
2) The first season is free, then subsequent episodes are pay per view.
I very much do not like Amazon for these two reasons.

Back to the this series... elaborating on the "Argentina" part of the story - seems to me the only reason they included this was to include a teen character, attempting to get kids interested also.
Which again, is lazy writing. Instead of depending on a good story, written well to entertain - they resort to tactics to try and maintain an audience.

If Amazon Prime video wasn't a "free" perk for having Prime Shipping - I would not subscribe.
They are famous for 2 things -
1) Orphaning a series. Even when reasonably popular. They have no staying power.
2) The first season is free, then subsequent episodes are pay per view.
I very much do not like Amazon for these two reasons.

Back to the this series... elaborating on the "Argentina" part of the story - seems to me the only reason they included this was to include a teen character, attempting to get kids interested also.
Which again, is lazy writing. Instead of depending on a good story, written well to entertain - they resort to tactics to try and maintain an audience.
I agree, Amazon is one of the worst streaming services but as you said it's free when you sign up for free Amazon shipping.

Stella's part in the story is revealed in subsequent episodes.

The screenwriter often does not create the story today. The story may come books, short stories, or previous productions. In a series, the storyline which is a synopsis of the story is created and often a storyboard which is a graphic representation of how the video will unfold, shot by shot. These are used to sell the series, hire the director, screenwriter and select the cast. The screenwriter writes the script for actors but stays pretty close to the storyline.

Last edited:
I just read that Prime decided that there would be no 2nd season for Night Sky. Finally we get an intelligent original sci-fi series with a fine script and good acting and Prime says no to further episodes.

Forum List

Back