Nigeria bans Twitter for deleting a post from the president

You bring up a lot of things to managing a website but are definitely not the same. Advertising is nice, but you have no right to advertising. I

It's not a "right to advertising" -- its a virtual MONOPOLY on advertising that is being exploited to CONTROL CONTENT.. Needs to get fixed.. No one competes with Google on advertising BECAUSE Google is now as POWERFUL as the NSA in spying on internet users... Advertisers LOVE those capabilities. I couldn't get a Silicon Valley start-up off the ground to OFFER "alternative ad serving" without 10 years and $BILLs in funding to compete with that. Bet you love that..

Alexa from Amazon is the same deal and folks WILLINGLY GIVE IT ACESS to EVERYTHING in their lives. And Bezos thanks them by creating the "Sidewalk" system that STEALS data from your Ring and Alexa and other Inet appliances to create a NEIGHBORHOOD watch program that WATCHES YOU...

I know leftists dont understand how thing work.. That's just a handicap in life.. But beyond that -- NOT having a sense of personal preservation is a DEADLY mistake that you are making by IGNORING the realities of growing techno-fascism and its COLLUSION with leftist governance...

Leftists are no longer my buds in preserving Civil Liberties.. Freedom and liberty are nowhere on their list of concerns.. So it's a SERIOUS situation for them to start loving themselves having the POWER of "big tech" as their brownshirts and East German Stasi....
Google's advertisers like their product because it's very effective. The horror.

The amount of condescension in your posts is ridiculous given you repeat the same nonsense tropes as other brain dead right wingers.

You're not out there defending civil liberties. You're out there creating new civil liberties out of convenience. This is a thread where Nigeria removed Twitter from the internet because their president got pissed at them for removing his content. Now anyone in Nigeria is subject to criminal prosecution for using Twitter. Is that the sort of liberty that we should emulate?

Like I said, you're expending way too much energy defending despicable wanna-bee despots and oligarchs who wont rest until they can sell the number of times a day you flush the toilet..

Tell ya what.. How about USMB just starts DELETING threads with links to certain sites and doesn't TELL you what the "algorithm" is??? Or bans you for wanting to discussing certain topics of the day and doesn't explain why?

Oh and we do these things to YOU in particular because -- you're the problem with world and this county and we want to crush you....

Not too far from this.. Keep on just supporting those corporations that can be MORE abrasive to your Civil Liberties that revolutionaries ever DREAMED of being.. A corporate oligarchy REPLACING partisan control by democratic representation aint a pretty future...
You probably have an over-inflated judgement about the quality of moderation on this site. USMB moves threads, merges threads, ends threads, closes threads. They ban posters from threads, delete their posts and sometimes don't even follow their own rules. That has to do with your moderators being people who are inconsistent, imperfect and occasionally being assholes.

It annoys me, no doubt.

But the remedy is not to bitch and moan about "civil liberties" because that has nothing to do with it. If I think all the moderates on this site are assholes, I'd find a different site. I wouldn't go to big daddy government and have them pass laws which force your moderation team to stop taking down trolling content or move threads. That would actually be interfering with civil liberties.

You probably have an over-inflated judgement about the quality of moderation on this site. USMB moves threads, merges threads, ends threads, closes threads.

If over-inflated means EVERY MEMBER knows the rules and red lines -- than I guess I do have a higher opinion of USMB and freedom of expression.. It's actually obvious that's why we are still here.

Moving and merging is just janitorial -- NOT editorial.. And if any brand new thread is closed, it's not because one of us got politically triggered or were instructed by political operatives to BORK it..

You didn't answer the question. If we started invisibly and without posted notice closing discussion based on SOURCES and group think, would you DEFEND our right to do that? Especially if we were aligned with one of "brand name" parties?

Jig is up.. Facebook exec cops to blaming HIS PEOPLE and not "the algorithms"... Evidently, any Facebook "fact checker" could be an agent for a political/religious agenda and get away with being CLOTHED in the title of "fact checker"... USMB doesn't fact check.. We DO bump threads to Conspiracy forum that dont have ANY links to support the allegations. But never apply this to even crap sourcing like the NYTimes or WashPoo...

“The document shows that Mr Clegg and Vera Jourova, vice-president of the European Commission, discussed how Facebook countered disinformation during the 2020 US Presidential election two weeks earlier,” the Mail detailed.

The news outlet then observed, “However, the minutes add: ‘He [Mr Clegg] also stressed that independent fact-checkers are not necessarily objective because they have their own agenda.”

Any company HIDING behind rogue fact-checkers, doesn;t DESERVE IMMUNITY if they BORK stories that easily...

You probably have an over-inflated judgement about the quality of moderation on this site. USMB moves threads, merges threads, ends threads, closes threads.

If over-inflated means EVERY MEMBER knows the rules and red lines -- than I guess I do have a higher opinion of USMB and freedom of expression.. It's actually obvious that's why we are still here.

Moving and merging is just janitorial -- NOT editorial.. And if any brand new thread is closed, it's not because one of us got politically triggered or were instructed by political operatives to BORK it..

You didn't answer the question. If we started invisibly and without posted notice closing discussion based on SOURCES and group think, would you DEFEND our right to do that? Especially if we were aligned with one of "brand name" parties?

Jig is up.. Facebook exec cops to blaming HIS PEOPLE and not "the algorithms"... Evidently, any Facebook "fact checker" could be an agent for a political/religious agenda and get away with being CLOTHED in the title of "fact checker"... USMB doesn't fact check.. We DO bump threads to Conspiracy forum that dont have ANY links to support the allegations. But never apply this to even crap sourcing like the NYTimes or WashPoo...

“The document shows that Mr Clegg and Vera Jourova, vice-president of the European Commission, discussed how Facebook countered disinformation during the 2020 US Presidential election two weeks earlier,” the Mail detailed.

The news outlet then observed, “However, the minutes add: ‘He [Mr Clegg] also stressed that independent fact-checkers are not necessarily objective because they have their own agenda.”

Any company HIDING behind rogue fact-checkers, doesn;t DESERVE IMMUNITY if they BORK stories that easily...

SO why are u exerting so much energy DEFENDING these frauds??? Is it because they HELP "your cause"???

I think you guys already moderate arbitrarily and based on political and personal bias.

And I don't think that the government has a role in telling you that you shouldn't do so.

So will I defend you? Not as a person, but I will defend you from government intervention into doing so.

Moving and merging is not "janitorial". Sending a thread to another forum where it won't be seen is akin to down grading algorithmically. Ending threads arbitrarily is silencing. Kicking posters out is silencing. Deleting posts as "trolling" when similarly trolling posts are left up is editorial. As your own rules state, you can do whatever you want for whatever reason you want. So don't give me this line of bullshit that you are somehow above it all. You aren't. You're humans with inconsistency. That's life. I'm not going to bitch loud enough to involve the damn government.

I left facebook years ago, and have never regretted it.

I left facebook years ago, and have never regretted it.
This is important. Facebook is not the center of the universe. It is not essential to American life. It does not control discourse.

People over-inflate it’s importance in order to justify authoritarian control of it. It’s hard to support overreach or government power into something that isn’t all that important.

New Topics

Forum List

Back