NFL commentators

Cosell was pretty tremendous. His performances on Monday Night Football both elevated the NFL to new heights of popularity by introducing the sport to prime time audiences, as well as introducing a new kind of analytical kind of commentating that just wasn't done much before 1970.

Cosell.

Madden & Summerall.
Madden and Summerall were the best I ever saw

Cosell was poorly prepared and added little insight to the broadcast

Maybe, but Gawd he could be funny.

"Look at that little monkey run!"

"Joe Gibbs wanted to get this kid and that little monkey gets loose doesn't he?"

- Cosell commenting on Alvin Garrett's athletic skills.

Last edited:
Cosell.

Madden & Summerall.

Cosell was there for part entertainment also. MNF made him extremely popular. Played off of the Danderoo to perfection.
Cosell envisioned himself to be an expert on sports and journalism and others were just dumb jocks.

But Cosell had no idea why a play worked or what made a player good. He substituted obscure sports minutia for understanding of the sport

Cosell.

Madden & Summerall.

Cosell was there for part entertainment also. MNF made him extremely popular. Played off of the Danderoo to perfection.
Cosell envisioned himself to be an expert on sports and journalism and others were just dumb jocks.

But Cosell had no idea why a play worked or what made a player good. He substituted obscure sports minutia for understanding of the sport
You may be correct. However Cosell helped MNF to become an institution. When we watch football or shows telling us about the plays and players, we usually get the same commentary over and over. Only the names change. Football is a simple but brutal sport that has been made complicated by excessive rules. And the men who play it or tough. The ones who are not as tough who play are still tough.

My dad was at the Michigan game in 1984 where Jim Harbaugh broke his arm. Now that was pure Michigan

i like the commentator from that game

Cosell.

Madden & Summerall.
Could not have said it better myself :thankusmile: :thankusmile::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: I especially loved hearing madden and summerall when I would tune in ad watch the rams games in the 90,s. For this generation I would say al michaels and Chris Collins are the best.

Forum List

Back