Newt For President?

red states rule

May 30, 2006
This is a great article on Newt

Here comes Newt
To echo the famous Negro League pitcher Satchel Paige: “Don’t look back, Newt Gingrich might be gaining on you.” Newt, consigned by many observers to Elizabeth Dole or Dan Quayle status in this GOP nominating process, appears to be moving up into contention, overtaking former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and battling to be the conservative alternative to either former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani or Arizona Sen. John McCain.

To grasp what’s happening, don’t think of states like New Hampshire or Iowa or worry whether it’s too early or too late. The key to following the Republican presidential nominating process this year is to recognize its essential similarity to the tennis’s U.S. Open at Forest Hills. There are quarter-finals, semi-finals, and finals.

In the quarter-finals, the center and the right each sort out the nominees to choose their candidate. On center court, Giuliani seems to be gaining a decisive lead over McCain’s impoverished presidential campaign. But on the right-hand court, unnoticed by most pundits, Gingrich seems to be building a lead over Romney and a host of conservative wannabes. The ultimate winner of the Giuliani/McCain quarter-final will face the winner of the Gingrich/Romney match-up in the semi-finals.

As McCain drops in the polls — he’s down to 22 percent while Rudy is up at 34 percent in the latest Fox News poll — some conservatives seem eager for a “real Republican” to challenge for the nomination. Their first choice, former Virginia Sen. George Allen, lies a-moldering in the grave and his runner-up, former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, has gone home to Tennessee.

Most observers assumed that Romney would fill the void. But he doesn’t seem to have been able to do so. It may be a racist refusal to vote for a Mormon or, more charitably, Romney’s flip-flop-flip from pro-life to pro-choice to pro-life, or it may have been his inconsistency on gay issues, but Mitt seems to be going the way of his father — out of contention. The Fox News poll, which recorded a surge to up to 8 percent of the GOP vote in its Dec. 5-6 tally, now has Romney dropping back to only 3 percent of the vote.

Enter Newt. Hungry for new ideas and desperate after losing Congress, Republican voters seem to be rallying to the only real genius in the race — the former Speaker. The statute of limitations seems to have expired on his personal scandals and Gingrich is striking a responsive chord among conservatives.

Fox News’s Jan. 30-31 survey had Newt leaving Romney way behind and challenging McCain for second place. The former Speaker’s vote share was 15 percent, giving him third place in the current standings.

Episodically, I just addressed a 450-person Lincoln Day dinner of the Lane County Republican Party in Eugene, Ore. A show of hands brought these results: Giuliani, 50 percent; Gingrich, 30 percent; McCain, 6 percent; Romney, 4 percent. A few days before, a speech to an Orlando investors group produced similar results.

But, as the slogan of the New York State Lottery goes: “You can’t win if you don’t play.” Newt’s current posture of waiting until the fall of 2007 to see how the process sorts itself out won’t work. The process abhors a vacuum. If Gingrich doesn’t move out to respond to the affection of the GOP base, one of the minor-leaguers — Huckabee, Brownback, Gilmore, Thompson, Hunter or Tancredo — will.

The irony of the GOP field at the moment is that while most Republicans are conservatives, the two frontrunners — Rudy and McCain — are moderates. And this isn’t Nelson Rockefeller’s Republican Party anymore! Gingrich is filling a real political need and if he moves out smartly and files his paperwork, takes his announcement bows, and journeys to Iowa and New Hampshire as a candidate, he might well be a contender.

Morris, a former political adviser to Sen. Trent Lott (R-Miss.) and President Bill Clinton, is the author of “Condi vs. Hillary: The Next Great Presidential Race.” To get all of Dick Morris’s and Eileen McGann’s columns for free by email, go to www.dickmorris.com.

http://thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/Comment/DickMorris/021407.html

you mean your nightmare. Newt would squash any Dem the libs would throw up against him

no...really...I want so much for your party to put a serial adulterer and a guy who had an "intern problem" (as in sleeping with them while they were his employees and WE, the tax payer were paying them) up for president. the irony! the HYPOCRISY! The party of family values? LOL

no...really...I want so much for your party to put a serial adulterer and a guy who had an "intern problem" (as in sleeping with them while they were his employees and WE, the tax payer were paying them) up for president. the irony! the HYPOCRISY! The party of family values? LOL

If what you say is true, Newt could switch parties and all that would be a resume enhancement

Personally, I’d rather have the amphibian for president - at least it would have a legitimate reason for slithering on its belly. Put that in your ‘Contract with America’.

If what you say is true, Newt could switch parties and all that would be a resume enhancement

if what I say is true? do you mean to tell me you would endorse the candidacy of a man whose history you know so little of?

are you suggesting that he wasn't screwing his first mistress while his first wife was being treated for cancer and then, later, screwed around on his second wife with his intern, who he later married?

I am sure that the party of family values would LOVE to endorse a man with such a wonderful regard for the institution of matrimony and the concept of fidelity.

please.... stay this uninformed about all things political.... that's just how your party needs you to be!

if what I say is true? do you mean to tell me you would endorse the candidacy of a man whose history you know so little of?

are you suggesting that he wasn't screwing his first mistress while his first wife was being treated for cancer and then, later, screwed around on his second wife with his intern, who he later married?

I am sure that the party of family values would LOVE to endorse a man with such a wonderful regard for the institution of matrimony and the concept of fidelity.

please.... stay this uninformed about all things political.... that's just how your party needs you to be!

Are we talking about Newt or Bill Clinton. It is funny to watch libs talk about fidility and then defend Clinton

Newt would destroy any Dem in a one on one debate

I should really correct the above...I have no idea whether the mistress he was screwing while his first wife was in the hospital with cancer was, in fact, his FIRST mistress of his first marriage...only that she was, most likely, his last mistress of his FIRST marraige as he married that tart soon after divorcing his cancer-ridden first wife.... I also have no idea how many mistresses he had during that second marriage...only that the intern was apparently the last as he married her soon after he dumped the slut.

Are we talking about Newt or Bill Clinton. It is funny to watch libs talk about fidility and then defend Clinton

Newt would destroy any Dem in a one on one debate

no ...we are talking about Newt.... and democrats would have no problem with newtie boy.... methinks that the religious right might have more of a problem with his "intern problem" than anyone else would....and regardless...for a party that was so appalled at Clinton's behavior, to turn around and even consider nominating someone with such a similar moral deficiency is hypocrisy in the extreme.

you mean your nightmare. Newt would squash any Dem the libs would throw up against him
For once, I have to agree with Maineboy. As much as I love the NewtMeister, he'd be crushed by Hillary.

There is absolutely no question in my mind that Hillary will be the next Damnocrat nominee.

The GOP has to field a candidate to beat Hillary, and unfortunately, the only candidate that I can see doing that is Giuliani.

For once, I have to agree with Maineboy. As much as I love the NewtMeister, he'd be crushed by Hillary.

There is absolutely no question in my mind that Hillary will be the next Damnocrat nominee.

The GOP has to field a candidate to beat Hillary, and unfortunately, the only candidate that I can see doing that is Giuliani.

Rudy and Newt would be the unbeatable ticket

and I have to say, regardless of what glock-shemale has to say, I still hope that the republican party nominates the serial adulterer intern fucking Newt Gingrich for president in '08. It would be a dream come true for me. I don't CARE what kind of a "debater" he might be....the fact is, he would be a serial adulterer intern fucking nominee from the party that impeached an otherwise successful president for serial adultery and intern fucking. That fact would resonate with voters more than any intimate grasp of issues he might demonstrate in any damned debate.

and I have to say, regardless of what glock-shemale has to say, I still hope that the republican party nominates the serial adulterer intern fucking Newt Gingrich for president in '08. It would be a dream come true for me. I don't CARE what kind of a "debater" he might be....the fact is, he would be a serial adulterer intern fucking nominee from the party that impeached an otherwise successful president for serial adultery and intern fucking. That fact would resonate with voters more than any intimate grasp of issues he might demonstrate in any damned debate.

You MUST be serious, as I've found you less prone to vulgar words than most, but you go whole hog here. You really want Gingrich, I hear you!

You MUST be serious, as I've found you less prone to vulgar words than most, but you go whole hog here. You really want Gingrich, I hear you!
oh...I really do. I think that Newt brings all the hypocrisy of going after Clinton in stark focus...I think if the republicans nominate Newt, they will irrevocably abandon any semblance of ever owning the moral high ground.

serial adulterer and intern fucker.....

Newt "08!

I dream and hope and pray that your party is that stupid.

and I have to say, regardless of what glock[mail] has to say, I still hope that the republican party nominates the serial adulterer intern f...ing Newt Gingrich for president in '08. It would be a dream come true for me. I don't CARE what kind of a "debater" he might be....the fact is, he would be a serial adulterer intern f...ing nominee from the party that impeached an otherwise successful president for serial adultery and intern f...ing. That fact would resonate with voters more than any intimate grasp of issues he might demonstrate in any damned debate.

I thought Bill Bob just got partial blow jobs, and actually pleasured himself to finish off?

oh...I really do. I think that Newt brings all the hypocrisy of going after Clinton in stark focus...I think if the republicans nominate Newt, they will irrevocably abandon any semblance of ever owning the moral high ground.

serial adulterer and intern fucker.....

Newt "08!

I dream and hope and pray that your party is that stupid.
Likewise either Hillary or Obama. :smack: Happy Valentine's Day!

I thought Bill Bob just got partial blow jobs, and actually pleasured himself to finish off?

your point? or was it only another effort to polish up the standup routine?

If so, please feel free to leave me out of the process.... I really would not be an appropriate judge for what would work at geek's night at the local neocon comedy club

Forum List

Back