Newest Medal of Honor Merged With Jason Dunham

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
From the LA Times:

Los Angeles Times
January 12, 2007

Bush Awards Medal Of Honor To Marine Killed In Iraq

Cpl. Jason Dunham is recognized for saving two servicemen's lives by throwing himself on an insurgent's grenade.

By Johanna Neuman, Times Staff Writer

WASHINGTON — President Bush awarded the Medal of Honor on Thursday to Marine Cpl. Jason L. Dunham, who on a dusty road in western Iraq in 2004 threw his Kevlar helmet and his body on an insurgent's grenade, saving the lives of two Marines while sacrificing his own.

Established by a joint resolution of Congress during the Civil War and presented 3,462 times, the Medal of Honor is awarded for gallantry in the face of enemy attack that is beyond the call of duty.

Dunham, who was 22 when he died, is the first Marine to earn the medal since 1970 and the second service member, after Army Sgt. 1st Class Paul Ray Smith, to receive it for bravery in Iraq.

I dont have a link because I get this sort of news from the Early Bird.

I thought I had posted this 1/11 when the medal was presented, but it slipped my mind. Here is a beautifully written account of what happened:

http://online.wsj.com/public/articl...GBdEJyZbqeokmeSrfQFds_20070115.html?mod=blogs

WSJ has made it available w/o cost:

In Combat, Marine
Put Theory to Test,
Comrades Believe
Cpl. Dunham's Quick Action
In Face of a Grenade
Saved 2 Lives, They Say
'No, No -- Watch His Hand!'
By MICHAEL M. PHILLIPS
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
May 25, 2004

AL QA'IM, Iraq -- Early this spring, Cpl. Jason Dunham and two other Marines sat in an outpost in Iraq and traded theories on surviving a hand-grenade attack.

Second Lt. Brian "Bull" Robinson suggested that if a Marine lay face down on the grenade and held it between his forearms, the ceramic bulletproof plate in his flak vest might be strong enough to protect his vital organs. His arms would shatter, but he might live.

Cpl. Dunham had another idea: A Marine's Kevlar helmet held over the grenade might contain the blast. "I'll bet a Kevlar would stop it," he said, according to Second Lt. Robinson.

"No, it'll still mess you up," Staff Sgt. John Ferguson recalls saying.

It was a conversation the men would remember vividly a few weeks later, when they saw the shredded remains of Cpl. Dunham's helmet, apparently blown apart from the inside by a grenade. Fellow Marines believe Cpl. Dunham's actions saved the lives of two men and have recommended him for the Medal of Honor, an award that no act of heroism since 1993 has garnered...
There are some very nice pics and information at the site ran by his family, here:

www.jasonsmemorial.org

and this article about one of the marines whose life was saved and survivor's guilt:

http://www.jasonsmemorial.org/news_miller.html

I'd just like to keep this thread going for a bit longer.

Never been in this young Hero's shoe's, and thanks to HIM, will never find myself there.

After visiting his website, I'm humbled, and proud that I can call myself an American.

I'd just like to keep this thread going for a bit longer.

Never been in this young Hero's shoe's, and thanks to HIM, will never find myself there.

After visiting his website, I'm humbled, and proud that I can call myself an American.

I'm with you! This kid and his family deserve our respect. If you get a chance, sign the guestbook at family site.

Forum List

Back