Newark School Hires "Recess Coach"

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
NEWARK -- An elementary school here has hired a $14-an-hour recess coach to deal with behavior problems during what had been free time for the students, according to a report in The New York Times.

The report said Broadway Elementary School Principal Alejandro Echevarria hired Brandi Parker to run organized games for students during recess. Concerns about obesity, bullying and a lack of socials skills have led a growing number of schools across the nation to try different approaches to recess.

Newark school hires recess coach | - NJ.com

And people wonder why NJ is broke...

Unbelievable. :cuckoo:

Really? In a perfect world, maybe. The cost of educating students in Newark, NJ is over $20K. Many schools will be losing teachers next year, not to mention books, computers, etc.

How about if some out of work parents volunteer to "organize the children" and break up fights on the playground? How about if the teachers took turns? How about if the kids figure it out for themselves like every generation before them? Imagine that...

Really? In a perfect world, maybe. The cost of educating students in Newark, NJ is over $20K. Many schools will be losing teachers next year, not to mention books, computers, etc.

How about if some out of work parents volunteer to "organize the children" and break up fights on the playground? How about if the teachers took turns? How about if the kids figure it out for themselves like every generation before them? Imagine that...

Those are also good alternatives.

I do not think that there should be a recess coach if other employees have to lose jobs or if it puts the school over budget.

But in lieu of this, I think an individual who specializes in dealing with recess behavior (maybe someone who deals with pitbulls) would be more than appropriate.

i don't see any problem with it either. And it probably costs less to intervene at this level for $14 an hour than it costs to deal with the problems as they worsen.

Sometimes when you deal with difficult situations, you have to think outside the box.

When I was a kid the teachers took turns at being recess monitor (recess coach? puleeze) and it worked out just fine. Of course my school was small and not nearly as many kids to keep an eye on. Our local elementary school hires people, usually parents, to monitor recess.

NEWARK -- An elementary school here has hired a $14-an-hour recess coach to deal with behavior problems during what had been free time for the students, according to a report in The New York Times.

The report said Broadway Elementary School Principal Alejandro Echevarria hired Brandi Parker to run organized games for students during recess. Concerns about obesity, bullying and a lack of socials skills have led a growing number of schools across the nation to try different approaches to recess.

Newark school hires recess coach | - NJ.com

And people wonder why NJ is broke...

Unbelievable. :cuckoo:

Newark is an Abbott district. They have money to burn

That's my point rightwinger. While every other district is currently operating at half the cost of Abbotts, they are ADDING programs. Every non tenured teacher in our district got a pink slip today.

The coach can monitor the situation. Make sure both kids have equal weapons in a fight, etc.
It is NJ after all.

Forum List

Back