New York’s new restrictions on handguns start Thursday: Uncertainty and confusion reign

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Syracuse, NY – Starting Thursday, New York is poised to become the first state to criminalize the carry of handguns on all private property without explicit permission – a felony that could carry prison time.

The new gun-control law will also increase training requirements and require disclosure of social media accounts for new gun applicants.

If all goes as planned, the new restrictions will impact nearly every gun owner and anyone with an interest in guns in society.

But there’s more confusion than clarity over how the law will be rolled out. Some counties, such as Onondaga, say they’re still waiting for state guidance on how to proceed. In Oswego County, applicants will face a live interview for a first time, but no one’s sure who’s going to conduct those. It’s likely that the infrastructure needed to implement the new requirements won’t all be ready by Thursday.

The state court system has not provided direction to local judges – who ultimately decide who gets a permit and who doesn’t (outside of New York City). And there are also court challenges to the new law that could impact whether it actually goes into effect Thursday or not.

If the law takes effect, it will impact existing gun-owners the most. There are more than 70,000 licensed gun-owners in Onondaga, Oswego and Madison counties alone, according to local officials.

Overnight, gun possession will become illegal on all private property without permission (written, if possible) and will be banned outright in certain locations under any circumstances, such as in parks, places of worship and during public gatherings and protests.

That means that gun owners will need to unholster their concealed weapons and secure them before pumping gas, walking into church or attending a pro-gun or other rally. It remains to be seen whether walking through a public gathering place, such as Clinton Square in Syracuse, or carrying a gun in a private parking lot, will be considered against the law. (The Adirondacks and Catskills Parks are officially considered forest preserves, not parks, so concealed guns are allowed within their borders, but subject to the new rules.)

Jeez....And people wonder why I'd like to see the dems exiled to W. Africa.

Syracuse, NY – Starting Thursday, New York is poised to become the first state to criminalize the carry of handguns on all private property without explicit permission – a felony that could carry prison time.

The new gun-control law will also increase training requirements and require disclosure of social media accounts for new gun applicants.

If all goes as planned, the new restrictions will impact nearly every gun owner and anyone with an interest in guns in society.

But there’s more confusion than clarity over how the law will be rolled out. Some counties, such as Onondaga, say they’re still waiting for state guidance on how to proceed. In Oswego County, applicants will face a live interview for a first time, but no one’s sure who’s going to conduct those. It’s likely that the infrastructure needed to implement the new requirements won’t all be ready by Thursday.

The state court system has not provided direction to local judges – who ultimately decide who gets a permit and who doesn’t (outside of New York City). And there are also court challenges to the new law that could impact whether it actually goes into effect Thursday or not.

If the law takes effect, it will impact existing gun-owners the most. There are more than 70,000 licensed gun-owners in Onondaga, Oswego and Madison counties alone, according to local officials.

Overnight, gun possession will become illegal on all private property without permission (written, if possible) and will be banned outright in certain locations under any circumstances, such as in parks, places of worship and during public gatherings and protests.

That means that gun owners will need to unholster their concealed weapons and secure them before pumping gas, walking into church or attending a pro-gun or other rally. It remains to be seen whether walking through a public gathering place, such as Clinton Square in Syracuse, or carrying a gun in a private parking lot, will be considered against the law. (The Adirondacks and Catskills Parks are officially considered forest preserves, not parks, so concealed guns are allowed within their borders, but subject to the new rules.)

Of course the bad guys will still carry gyns and now will not have to worry about honest people with concealed carry permits.

The Dems love their thugs.

If I lived in New York State I would be packing to leave for Florida or Texas.

I would be surprised if that thing about weapons banned on all private property without explicit permission of property own will fly on constitutional grounds. I thought the Supreme Court overruled one of their draconian measures, earlier this year.
When you said 70,000 licensed owners in those three counties, were you talking licensed to own or are you saying permits carry?
Sounds like they will turn churches back into gun free zones for the benefit of terrorist criminals.

I would be surprised if that thing about weapons banned on all private property without explicit permission of property own will fly on constitutional grounds. I thought the Supreme Court overruled one of their draconian measures, earlier this year.
When you said 70,000 licensed owners in those three counties, were you talking licensed to own or are you saying permits carry?
Sounds like they will turn churches back into gun free zones for the benefit of terrorist criminals.
I'm not be flippant when I say that (as best as I can tell) the whole of the state is now a "gun free zone" as far as CC goes.

I'm not be flippant when I say that (as best as I can tell) the whole of the state is now a "gun free zone" as far as CC goes.
I thought, that was what the Supreme Court ruled against New York on. Am I remembering something incorrectly? I could be, as you probably know my feelings on states like NY and CA, so I don't pay that much close attention them, but just get the general drift and highlights.

And Leftists try to say they aren't fucking communists...lol

I thought, that was what the Supreme Court ruled against New York on. Am I remembering something incorrectly? I could be, as you probably know my feelings on states like NY and CA, so I don't pay that much close attention them, but just get the general drift and highlights.
SCOTUS ruled on permits, not gun free zones. So, Hoschul is going to just outright wipe her ass with the Constitution.

Forum List

Back