New York University Professor Fired After Students Complain His Tests Are Too Hard

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
I would never hire a college grad under 35 unless I personally knew them.

• Maitland Jones Jr., 84, was fired from New York University after 82 of his 350 students signed a petition against him
  • Students claimed course materials for his organic chemistry class were too hard and blamed Jones for their poor test scores
  • Jones previously taught at Princeton before moving to a yearly contract teaching at NYU, and later wrote a 1,300-page textbook on the subject he taught
  • Jones said he noticed students struggling to reintegrate to in-person classes post-COVID-19 - a decade after he noticed a loss of focus among his students
  • Former students and NYU faculty defended Jones, citing poor conduct from students

• Maitland Jones Jr., 84, was fired from New York University after 82 of his 350 students signed a petition against him
  • Students claimed course materials for his organic chemistry class were too hard and blamed Jones for their poor test scores
  • Jones previously taught at Princeton before moving to a yearly contract teaching at NYU, and later wrote a 1,300-page textbook on the subject he taught
  • Jones said he noticed students struggling to reintegrate to in-person classes post-COVID-19 - a decade after he noticed a loss of focus among his students
  • Former students and NYU faculty defended Jones, citing poor conduct from students

If this was Organic Chemistry 101 then it isn't even that hard. That level of Organic is memorization mostly, of basic forms, reactions, and testing methods.

I wonder how many of them would stand up in Physical Chemistry, which is Chemistry + Calculus.

We are so fucked
OIP.cq5rMVbN4IQwVB8RodenogHaKJ

I recall a particularly tough British prof who held some challenging tests for which I studied hard but still only achieved a C+ grade. I was quite happy the course was over, my grade was in the top 25%, he was strict.

Fairly early on I was going to drop it and take another course until I saw him reject with a rather insulted air of annoyance the clear ass kissing of a student in the first row. I figured, "this guy will be straight and entertaining at least".

The second worst course I took in university but you only improve through challenges. These blue ribbon students will not be prepared for the real world when it hits them.

If this was Organic Chemistry 101 then it isn't even that hard. That level of Organic is memorization mostly, of basic forms, reactions, and testing methods.

I wonder how many of them would stand up in Physical Chemistry, which is Chemistry + Calculus.
Organic was the most difficult class I took in Pharmacy School, but the first semester, as you say, was a lot of memorization. The labs and further semesters were tough but by studying, often in small groups, you make it through.

Organic was the most difficult class I took in Pharmacy School, but the first semester, as you say, was a lot of memorization. The labs and further semesters were tough but by studying, often in small groups, you make it through.

As a Chemical Engineer we got up to Organic II only, but we also had to take Physical Chemistry, two semesters.

2nd semester was definitely harder.

I took Organic Chemistry in college. It's a damn hard course because it's a complex subject. I'm sure an 84 year old professor hasn't changed how he's taught the subject. Today's college students are a bunch of entitled babies.

Forum List

Back