New york train crash

Peach

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2009
I cannot find a thread on this; if I missed it, I would appreciate a redirect.

What do you have to say about it? It sounds to me like the guy fell asleep...it was an accident.

Should Metro North require more down time? A nine hour shift, soon after a shift change, seems risky.

True, there will never be "perfect, fail safe" transportation.

What do you have to say about it? It sounds to me like the guy fell asleep...it was an accident.

Should Metro North require more down time? A nine hour shift, soon after a shift change, seems risky.

I worked for the railroad in freight service, back in the 70s, and we often worked 16 hours on duty with 8 hours off. That 8 hours off included driving back and forth to work.

I worked for the railroad in freight service, back in the 70s, and we often worked 16 hours on duty with 8 hours off. That 8 hours off included driving back and forth to work.

OK...that might be a problem.

Trains are a fairly safe mode of transportation.

I love trains period, took the Silver Meteor & Silver Star many times. For me, a fantastic way to see the country.

OK...that might be a problem.

It was cut down to 14 hours on, do not know what it is now.

Inital reports state that he wasnt on an extended shift, however he had just switched from running trains in the late evening to running them in the early morning.

He said his client had had a full night's sleep before the crash, and had no disciplinary record.

NTSB kicks train union out of crash investigation - CNN.com

Nine hours in control of hundreds of lives...I do not believe pilots handle that many hours.

Transatlantic pilots handle around that all the time, there are two of them, to be fair.

The train in question was one of the first leaving in the morning, Metro North does not run 24 hours a day, there is a gap between 2 AM or so and 5 AM or so.

Forum List

Back