New York Investigates Skating Rink For.....

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Not drug dealing. Not prostitution. Not selling alcohol to minors.

They are investigating the skating rink for....(I can barely bring myself to say this)....for....

Playing Christian Music.

You can't tell me that Christians and their beliefs aren't under attack.

-----

Washington, DC – The Traditional Values Coalition asked New York Governor George Pataki to rein in a state agency which is threatening legal action against an Accord, New York skating rink because it plays Christian music during a “Christian Music Skate” party.

The New York Division of Human Rights threatened Len and Terry Bernardo, owners of the Skate Time 209 rink in Accord, with an investigation because the rink plays Christian music during certain hours. The agency also threatened to charge a local newspaper which advertised the event for “aiding and abetting” unlawful discrimination.

“This is crazy,” said TVC Chairman Rev. Louis P. Sheldon. “These people are exercising basic Constitutional rights on private property to the exclusion of no one and the state government is treating them like dangerous criminals.

“Aiding and abetting? It is the responsibility of every citizen to aid and abet the free exercise of religion, free speech, the right to assemble and private property rights.

“New Yorkers have never been intimidated by international thugs and terrorists and they should not tolerate this bureaucratic attempt to violate their most basic civil rights.

“I have asked Governor Pataki to take authority over this illegal attempt to manipulate the law to accomplish a violation of basic civil rights. I will be watching closely to see that the Bernardos’ rights are protected.”

-----

Copy of letter:

June 21, 2006

Transmitted by Fax

Governor George E. Pataki
State Capitol
Albany, NY 12224

Dear Governor Pataki:

I was shocked to learn that a business operated by supporters of our Coalition has been threatened with legal action by the State of New York Executive Department, Division of Human Rights for holding a “Christian Music Skate” party at a private roller rink they operate in Accord, New York.

Sir, I cannot believe that any reasonable person would feel that the mere act of playing Christian music during certain hours when the Skate Time 209 skating rink is open for business amounts to some form of discrimination.

The section of the New York State law cited by Division of Human Rights General Counsel Gina M. Lopez Summa deals with those who “refuse, withhold from or deny” access to someone.

The rink’s proprietors Len and Terry Bernardo assure me that no one has ever been denied entrance to their privately-owned skating rink nor have they discouraged anyone from patronizing their rink because of their religious beliefs.

The only difference between the Christian Music Skate Time and all other times at the rink is that the former involves the playing of Christian contemporary music. There are no special discounts for Christian skaters and no one is denied access to the rink if they are not Christian.

Governor, please take action immediately to halt this action against the Bernardo’s and to reassure all New Yorkers that their First Amendment right to the free exercise of their religious beliefs and other rights related to private property and the right to assemble are not in jeopardy.

New Yorkers have demonstrated such courage and tenacity in dealing with international threats to their freedom. There is a reason why the amendment which guaranteed religious liberty and freedom of expression was the First Amendment.

Please halt this harassment immediately.

Sincerely,

Rev. Louis Sheldon
Chairman

http://www.traditionalvalues.org/modules.php?sid=2756

Next on their list is "Christian Bookstores" for their playing of christian music AND their VERY intimidating selection of christian-only books. I mean, it's not very INCLUSIVE for a business selling christian books to FORCE those books upon the shoppers..

:-/

They will deliver you to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors, and all on account of my name.

You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death. All men will hate you because of me.
---Luke 21

theHawk said:
They will deliver you to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors, and all on account of my name.

You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death. All men will hate you because of me.
---Luke 21

I always believed such things would come to pass, but never in America, or at least not so quickly. I have even volunteered to risk life and limb ministering to Red China once I have a college degree, but I never thought I'd be threatened on my home turf. Whatever happened to the Constitutional right to freely exercise religion?

theHawk said:

---Luke 21

Exactly right. Our faith will surely be tested.

GotZoom said:
....They are investigating the skating rink for....(I can barely bring myself to say this)....for....Playing Christian Music.
I don't know if any of you shop at Hobby Lobby, a craft chain store. They play Christian music over their system. It sounds typical store/elevator music, but can get your toe tappin' a bit too. I was floored when I realized the music I was tappin' to was a hymn I'd sung in church! I've never heard a secular song while in there.

I'm just waiting for something with this. And the store is closed on Sunday.

The silver lining of this threatened lawsuit is that it clearly exposes the true agenda of the "Separation of Church and State" crowd: the ultimate erasure any public expression of Christianity in this country.

It's coming.

But luckily, so is our Saviour.

("u" added for Darin :) )

Forum List

Back