New York declares war on Deer -bout time

jon_berzerk

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2013
to stop the over population of deer in populated areas

the state set up a dopey plan to offer birth control for the deer at the tune

of $2980 a head

today the state changed course

A New NYSDEC Press Release Has Been Issued:Special Deer Hunting Season in Central Tompkins County to Help Control Local Deer Population
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation sent this bulletin on 01/15/2014 12:59 PM EST
Hello,
The NYS Department of Environmental Conservation has issued the following press release:

Special Deer Hunting Season in Central Tompkins County to Help Control Local Deer Population
Deer Management Focus Area Open Until January 31, 2014
A special deer hunting season to help control the deer population in and around the city of Ithaca, Tompkins County, will be open until January 31, 2014, State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Regional Director Ken Lynch announced today.

The Deer Management Focus Area (DMFA) program was initiated in 2012 in the Ithaca area to expand the use of hunting to assist local communities burdened with overabundant deer populations. The DMFA encompasses 60,000 acres of land in and around the city of Ithaca, including the city and town of Ithaca, the villages of Cayuga Heights and Lansing, and parts of the towns of Danby, Caroline, Dryden, Lansing, Enfield, Newfield and Ulysses.

During the special January season in the DMFA, registered hunters are authorized to shoot two antlerless deer per day using a shotgun, muzzleloader, handgun, or bow (if they have bowhunting eligibility). Hunters must still comply with all state trespassing laws, as well as all applicable local ordinances governing the discharge of firearms.

A New NYSDEC Press Release Has Been Issued:Special Deer Hunting Season in Central Tompkins County to Help Control Local Deer Population

Why "antlerless"? BTW I'm not a deer hunter. I do like Robert DeNiro, tho.

generally a antler less hunt reduces the number of females

and the number of young born

in a herd

which reduces the population

you can shoot 30 deer during this special hunt btw

they must have one heck a problem

I despise deer. I've long wanted just to blast them from half a mile a way to practice kill shots on moving targets. I'm not a hunter either.

I despise deer. I've long wanted just to blast them from half a mile a way to practice kill shots on moving targets. I'm not a hunter either.

you would like my brother

a few years ago

the State of Minnesota hired him

to take out 50 deer one winter from a certain over populated area

that the deer was destroying the way of life for some apple producers

Deer populations get out of hand quickly. Alabama has a whitetail population of around 1.5 million head. Wildlife biologists say roughly 500,000 need to be culled annually to maintain a healthy, stable herd.

The difference is, with the extra taxes and fees that hunters pay, Alabama makes money off the population control. The same with most other states.

$3k a head for birth control?? LMAO!

I like deer :)

I have a whole freezer full of deer I like :)

I'm a big fan too! I like them so much I bring a few home to dinner every year.

Venison tenderloin, wrapped in apple-smoked bacon, and cooked on a smoker? Mmm

I've got several tenderloins and packages of deer steaks, and a lot of ground - am finishing off some chili I made. I think deer makes the best chili. I haven't cooked a tenderloin yet, that will be new for me. :)

I've got several tenderloins and packages of deer steaks, and a lot of ground - am finishing off some chili I made. I think deer makes the best chili. I haven't cooked a tenderloin yet, that will be new for me. :)

The best meal of my entire life was a venison stew.

Ground venison makes the BEST chili. Besides being better tasting, we don't get all the antibiotics, steroids and other chemicals pumped into beef.

Venison makes delicious jerky too.

The best meal of my entire life was a venison stew.

I love venison stew...

I am lucky - I don't hunt, but my coworker's father loves to hunt. Unfortunately, his family isn't that crazy about deer meat - so, he offered to hunt one for me and I pay the processing fee. :)

Ground venison makes the BEST chili. Besides being better tasting, we don't get all the antibiotics, steroids and other chemicals pumped into beef.

Venison makes delicious jerky too.

Haven't had the jerkie but I've had venison salami (I think that's what it is) - very good also.

Forum List

Back