New York declares war on Deer -bout time

That seems like a lot of $$ for a deer.

Are these deer edible?

Kill two birds with one stone -- so to speak.

If properly prepared they are delicious!

Many hunters donate meat to various food banks and the like. Safari Club International, for one, donates hundreds of thousands of pounds of low-fat, low-cholesterol, preservative-free, high-protein meat every year.

We have a program where hunters donate deer to foodbanks - I think it's fantastic. I'm very much an animal welfare person, but I also think ethical hunting has a place in the overall scheme of things.

Plus, deer are tasty ;)

Notice no rifle hunters need apply? You have to download a permit and freaking submit a "hunting log" of your activities even if you didn't get a deer. How are they going to enforce that one?

i have been on a few within the city limit deer hunts

high powered rifles were not allowed in those areas too populated

the log is to help the state figure the herd out i guess

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/dmfalogextra.pdf

In my area of WV, we've had a few deer hunts in more populated areas but it's strictly bow.

It seems to work well :)

yes most are bow with in the city limits

some state parks and such allow bow and muzzle loader on special hunts

I despise deer. I've long wanted just to blast them from half a mile a way to practice kill shots on moving targets. I'm not a hunter either.

I knew this thread would make you smile when I saw what it was about. :)

Difference between and man and a woman on deer.

Man: Wants to blast them from a half mile away to practice kill shots on moving targets.

Woman: Deer runs into her car denting it, gets out and looks for injured deer, calls Police about injured deer and wants to cry cause Bambi's mother must be hurt because she left fur in crack of panel of door. Is angry at cop for having silly smirk on his face when she reports the horrible tragedy.

Last edited:
I despise deer. I've long wanted just to blast them from half a mile a way to practice kill shots on moving targets. I'm not a hunter either.

I knew this thread would make you smile when I saw what it was about. :)

Difference between and man and a woman on deer.

Man: Wants to blast them from a half mile away to practice kill shots on moving targets.

Woman: Deer runs into her car denting it, gets out and looks for injured deer, calls Police about injured deer and wants to cry cause Bambi's mother must be hurt because she left fur in crack of panel of door. Is angry at cop for having silly smirk on his face when she reports the horrible tragedy.

Don't know what the woman in your life are like, but the one's in mine are just as capable as a man of using a gun to put meat on the table. The differance is that it is not an ego thing for them, it is meat on the table.

When deer invade the backyards of the suburbs (including over populous raccoons desecrating garbage cans), most people:

Shoot
Shovel
Shutup

OK. And when the neighbors report gunfire in those suburbs, the police do what? Or when the neighbors house has a .30 caliber hole, front to back, you think said neighbor is going to think kindly of your actions and sanity, especially if there are children is said house?

In this setting, bow hunting is the only sane way to handle the problem, and the bow hunters had damned well better be real careful of their shots.

Sorry to burst all of you all's ideas of deer population control, but...

Hunting actually spurs the growth of the herds. By removing competition for food sources Mother Nature concludes there is ample food for increased numbers and she sends the message to all the would-be deer parents that the green light is lit to GO forth and re-populate.

Therefore, hunting increases deer numbers.

The best way to reduce the herd is to let Mother Nature do it.

It might take a season or two for their numbers to diminish naturally, but that's the only sure way to do it.

And the funny thing is that the game wardens and those folks understand this dynamic.

Maybe they are trying to just get hunting introduced in that county. It is a great thing for those hunters living in and around that area. They won't have to drive as far to get some meat and their hunting groove on.

Here, I found this to substantiate my, admittedly, counter-intuitive claim.

A text titled "Wildlife Ecology and Management" by William Robinson states quite clearly:

"The general theory of harvesting animals is based on the premise that when animals are not harvested at all, growth and recruitment are balanced by natural mortality and that the average growth rate of a population at its carrying capacity is zero. Harvesting reduces the population size, but the reduction results in an increase in the growth rate of the population. This increase in growth rate is brought about because of higher birth rates and lower death rates resulting from decreased competition for resources. This increased growth rate provides a surplus of individuals above the number required to replace the population, and this surplus can be harvested."​

Hunting only lowers deer numbers on a temporary basis. A study by Richter & Labisky, "Reproductive Dynamics and Disjunct White-tailed Deer Herds in Florida," in The Journal of Wildlife Management, determined that the "incidence of twinning was 38% on hunted herds and 14% on nonhunted sites."

Hunting serves no purpose other than to provide hunters with game, the DEP with funding, and residents with a feeling that "something" is being done about deer numbers, while ensuring that those numbers will replenish by the next hunting season, ad infinitum.

That's why, according to the FCMDMA, even after a concerted effort of killing deer for so many years, populations have not decreased. Their solution would be to hire sharpshooters who are more efficient than recreational hunters, erroneously citing Harvard's Andrew Spielman as supporting a 10-12 deer population per square mile, claiming that Lyme disease would be eliminated.

Hunting has increased deer population, not reduced it - GreenwichTime

And in this particular instance, being that I have a lot of knowledge of the Ithaca area, morons are FEEDING the deer. Which is causing them to move into areas off limits to hunters. Affording additional food sources and ultimately, increasing ther population od deer to the point of it being a problem. Hunting IS a solution to overpopulation of these animals, and putting city limits, etc on where hunters may go only exacerbates the problem.

And you have this also,feeding them is illegal,but still happens,drive trough Cayuga heights,they are every wheres its a hoot.

Forum List

Back