New study shows welfare prevents crime, quite dramatically

Not true at all in my small Southern town where we have higher than average educational levels, fantastic medical options and job opportunities, far higher than average income, far LESS violence and crime and very little welfare. Granted, in other parts of the state, that is not the case. What I am telling you is that my town is heavily Republican. Some other parts of the state, particularly the ones that are poor, are heavily Democratic.
Great you have a small example. The data is overwhelming dude. My neighborhood and school blows yours away yet that means nothing. That’s why you aggregate all the data and don’t just throw out some random experience. Red states are behind in all metrics for the most part.

Giving people free money for doing nothing is a bad idea. Any notion that it helps people doesn't take into consideration the fact that idle people get into trouble.
Kind of like trump's family right? This link is before Kushner hit the big time with the saudis.

Not surprising to human beings but this study found that public welfare programs in the US prevent crime and create better outcomes for people.

A new paper in the Quarterly Journal of Economics, published by Oxford University Press, indicates that removing cash welfare from children when they reach age 18 greatly increases the chances that they will face criminal justice charges in subsequent years.

Supplemental Security Income is a United States program that provides payments to people with disabilities who have low incomes. Children qualify for the program based on their disability status and their parents' low income and assets. Until 1996 children automatically continued to qualify for the adult program when they reached 18 years old unless their incomes increased.

As part of changes made to US social welfare programs in 1996 the US Social Security Administration began to reevaluate children receiving SSI when they turned 18 using different, adult, medical eligibility criteria. The Social Security Administration began removing about 40% of children receiving benefits when they turned 18. This process disproportionately removes children with mental and behavioral conditions such as attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.

Using data from the Social Security Administration and the Criminal Justice Administrative Records System researchers estimated the effect of losing Supplemental Security Income benefits at age 18 on criminal justice and employment outcomes over the next two decades. By comparing records of children with an 18th birthday after the date of welfare reform enactment on August 22, 1996, and those born earlier (who were allowed onto the adult program without review) the researchers were able to estimate the effect of losing benefits on the lives of the affected youth.

This must be one of the most uneducated posts I have ever seen here. It's not the removal of the free stuff when a child turns 18 years old that leads to crime; it's the giving of free stuff starting from birth that led to the crime. Children who do not learn personal responsibility and accountability, from parents who also do not understand personal responsibility and accountability, who have learned to believe that they're entitled to the fruits of the labors of strangers, when those handouts stop, take the fruits of the labors of others by force and then you feign surprise at that? Idiot.

I’m for forcing people out of the welfare system as fast as possible. It’s there to help you for a short while but it ends and you need to do something. Your post was complaining 18 year olds are getting cut off. Of course they are. Get your ass out there and take care of yourself. Why is this even a question? What age do you think it should stop?
I'm for forcing people out of the welfare system before they get in it. No welfare. No transfer of cash or material from the government to any person or organization except for services provided.

Great you have a small example. The data is overwhelming dude. My neighborhood and school blows yours away yet that means nothing. That’s why you aggregate all the data and don’t just throw out some random experience. Red states are behind in all metrics for the most part.

And that is because of the lower than average income of DEMOCRATS in these states. Republicans in red states are more affluent. That is not debateable.

I'm for forcing people out of the welfare system before they get in it. No welfare. No transfer of cash or material from the government to any person or organization except for services provided.
I agree, because there has to be a small amount of shaming involved for those who are choosing welfare as a lifestyle while laughing in the faces of those of us who are being forced to pay for it. Democrat's use these system's to bribe the vote, and they are using our money to get it done. It should be illegal for the government to involve itself in social engineering like this, and everything should go back to charities helping the poor, not corrupt politician's making themselves god's to those in which they are making them think that they are god's when handing them our money in exchange for their power. Then they take that power and rob us blind as taxpayer's in order to keep the skid's greased.

Not surprising to human beings but this study found that public welfare programs in the US prevent crime and create better outcomes for people.

A new paper in the Quarterly Journal of Economics, published by Oxford University Press, indicates that removing cash welfare from children when they reach age 18 greatly increases the chances that they will face criminal justice charges in subsequent years.

Supplemental Security Income is a United States program that provides payments to people with disabilities who have low incomes. Children qualify for the program based on their disability status and their parents' low income and assets. Until 1996 children automatically continued to qualify for the adult program when they reached 18 years old unless their incomes increased.

As part of changes made to US social welfare programs in 1996 the US Social Security Administration began to reevaluate children receiving SSI when they turned 18 using different, adult, medical eligibility criteria. The Social Security Administration began removing about 40% of children receiving benefits when they turned 18. This process disproportionately removes children with mental and behavioral conditions such as attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.

Using data from the Social Security Administration and the Criminal Justice Administrative Records System researchers estimated the effect of losing Supplemental Security Income benefits at age 18 on criminal justice and employment outcomes over the next two decades. By comparing records of children with an 18th birthday after the date of welfare reform enactment on August 22, 1996, and those born earlier (who were allowed onto the adult program without review) the researchers were able to estimate the effect of losing benefits on the lives of the affected youth.
My first thought was they are blackmailing us, demanding money in exchange for less violence and we comply.

Forum List

Back