New Model Kit ...

fncceo

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2016
Just delivered today ... my next model kit build ...

eduard8494reviewme_1.jpg

Packed away somewhere in my garage are 5 Estes model rocket kits and 200 Estes model rocket engines. I was taping the engines to a stick and launching them out of a glass gallon jug a couple years ago, but someday I might drag them out, put them together, and launch them.

Problem is, we live in a wooded area and I'd probably never find them again. One Christmas a few years ago, Walmart had a closeout on some cheap toy drones with video capability. I bought five of them and every one of them ended up getting snagged in the trees, or flying off to God knows where.

:laughing0301:

Building model airplanes was a lot more fun before they started putting garlic in the glue.

Packed away somewhere in my garage are 5 Estes model rocket kits and 200 Estes model rocket engines. I was taping the engines to a stick and launching them out of a glass gallon jug a couple years ago, but someday I might drag them out, put them together, and launch them.

Problem is, we live in a wooded area and I'd probably never find them again. One Christmas a few years ago, Walmart had a closeout on some cheap toy drones with video capability. I bought five of them and every one of them ended up getting snagged in the trees, or flying off to God knows where.

:laughing0301:
I lost all the ones I had to. The ONLY way to get around that is to pay 600 dollars for one with GPS and good electronics. My son has one and it takes rock solid video and comes right back when you push the button!

I lost all the ones I had to. The ONLY way to get around that is to pay 600 dollars for one with GPS and good electronics. My son has one and it takes rock solid video and comes right back when you push the button!

We just have too many trees here.

I've still got these waiting to be put together. Maybe one day.

1626883728075.png

1626883868369.png

1626883962825.png

1626884042842.png

Every couple of years I'll get the urge to work on some models. I'll go out and buy a few; mostly cars, but ships, too. I'll buy all the paints and cements I'll need, brushes, sand papers, etc.

I'll get home and get to work on one almost immediately. The first one is usually completed in a day or two. As I progress through the kits, though, the time to build them usually gets extended somewhat (due to things like sleep and meals).

Right now I'm looking for models of each class of ship I was on while in the Navy. Recent cruisers and destroyers are pretty easy to find, but I also served on both Pigeon class submarine rescue ships and an Acme class minesweeper built back in the '50s. Those aren't easy models to come by...

Is it just me, or have the prices on some of the model kits gone through the roof?

I can remember when an expensive model kit was eight or nine bucks. Now the really fine kits can be over $100...

Well, this is something new to me.

What the Hell is an "aftermarket embellishment kit"??
Photo etched metal detail kits for cockpits, wheel wells, engine compartments, gun bays, you name it....Then there are super-detailed plastic resin cockpit sets that are really awesome...Though all at a price.

Here's an example of the stuff that's available for the kit fncceo has...

Forum List

Back