New format feedback

Just in case you haven't noticed..

The "skin" colors have been tweaked.. Now easier to read time/date and post numbers and such...
Big improvement.. Got rid of a LOT of "light blue" text...

There are lots of improvements since last week. Releasing a new S/W like this will take time to de bug everything. Especially like my other post I’ve been using the very old format for many years.

Something I just noticed. We have unlimited editing time now.
You can go back as far as you want and edit anything you've ever posted from what I can see. Cool !
You can go back as far as you want and edit anything you've ever posted from what I can see. Cool !

I did it in a long thread then it gave me everything I posted in that thread. Just like how you mentioned. Then I have to search which post I need to edit.

My 2c is it should just bring up the post you want to edit. Not the whole enchilada.

The other problem I have earlier this week was ....... When I reply or quote ...... I can’t see the first sentence. then I have to hit return several times to see what I’m typing. This solved.

i would like the gold star back. the little smiley with hearts is gay & sometimes a 'like' just doesn't cut it. otherwise it's alright & it's easier to post memes.

Confusing terminology......like when you want to make a post......you have to click a button that says post thread when it should say created a thread.

The button to 'post thread' comes later after you have created the thread.

The "skin" colors have been tweaked.. Now easier to read time/date and post numbers and such...

I just noticed the posts-per-page has been reset to 20. At least that's what I'm seeing. That could be because that's what my setting was, or because everybody's is set to 20.

I liked vBulletin as well EXCEPT for the long lined multi quotes, which is what this new format is giving us.

Yeah, but multiquotes are just lazy. Its not the software's fault people don't wanna take time to only quote the person they're actually talking to.

It's not, but it COULD be governed. The software we just moved from had an experimental period on the same thing. I remember participating in a test thread to see how unwieldy the post would look with 40 or so nested quotes. After that USMB set a limit to like 6 or 7 whatever it was. That was a practical setting and a good target for the new format.

IT seems to think there are no controls AVAILABLE to limit depth of quotes in this versions.. So for NOW - why don't you hooligans stop trying to BREAK IT??? :icon_rolleyes:

You are correct sir. Who knew there were post numbers, without pressing one's nose to the screen. That's much better.

Did anyone ever figure out what became of the photo gallery?

Still happening, nothing lost.. They are keeping the ACTIVE version "light" so that tuning goes faster.. The more you ADD from database, the longer each test takes...

I just noticed the posts-per-page has been reset to 20. At least that's what I'm seeing. That could be because that's what my setting was, or because everybody's is set to 20.

Just a pro tip here.. If you CHANGE that default, and you give folks the "browser" link to USMB content, your "post per page" setting will screw that up.. You'll be pointing them to something that is PAGES away from where you intended to point them.. Has to do with "page relative" links versus "absolute" post links...

The "posts per page" that the browser uses is the Default..

Moderation was constantly telling members NOT to give us 'browser links" but to go and click on the POST # and copy THAT link.. That is an ABSOLUTE link that doesn't rely on paging...

Thanks for that.. Hadn't noticed....
That does bring up my question Kat never answered...
What happened to our post histories ?
Don't tell me you have to scroll through one page at a time now.
I was able to save mine (below) from the old format .

I don't see any way to look back at any other members' histories
that used to go all the way back to 2008 and before.

Since the new format thread is closed.

Overall it's OK but one thing that really bugs me is the automatic page refresh.

The screen jumps to the top and it's really annoying

Yes I know you can change it but then your selection should be saved in your profile so you don't have change the refresh rate every time you log in.

Or better yet just get rid of that feature

I just turned it off.

I did too!

I turned the refresh off....it's cool! it's great! :up:

I liked vBulletin as well EXCEPT for the long lined multi quotes, which is what this new format is giving us.

Yeah, but multiquotes are just lazy. Its not the software's fault people don't wanna take time to only quote the person they're actually talking to.

It's not, but it COULD be governed. The software we just moved from had an experimental period on the same thing. I remember participating in a test thread to see how unwieldy the post would look with 40 or so nested quotes. After that USMB set a limit to like 6 or 7 whatever it was. That was a practical setting and a good target for the new format.

IT seems to think there are no controls AVAILABLE to limit depth of quotes in this versions.. So for NOW - why don't you hooligans stop trying to BREAK IT??? :icon_rolleyes:
Actually I think administrators can set a limit to nesting numbers in the Admin board.

i would like the gold star back. the little smiley with hearts is gay & sometimes a 'like' just doesn't cut it. otherwise it's alright & it's easier to post memes.

Yeah.. Mod staff is gonna discuss another "set" of ratings... Something less "MySpace" would be better for a SERIOUS "message board"... :auiqs.jpg:

Overall it's OK but one thing that really bugs me is the automatic page refresh.

Yes I know you can change it but then your selection should be saved in your profile so you don't have change the refresh rate every time you log in.

I just turned it off.

I did too!

Thanks blues and skye, I have that stupid refresh thing turned off now. What a relief. I almost went back to my old forum because of the auto refresh feature. That feature should be set to off as the default, since it really screws up a nice forum.

Actually I think administrators can set a limit to nesting numbers in the Admin board.

Seems I remember on the initial install of Xenforo (3 yrs ago?) that there was some tuning done to depth of quotes... But Admin just told me "its not there" today.. If I was developing something like this -- I'd make it a user setting...

I just turned it off.

I did too!

Thanks blues and skye, I have that stupid refresh thing turned off now. What a relief. I almost went back to my old forum because of the auto refresh feature. That feature should be set to off as the default, since it really screws up a nice forum.

I'm a bit confused, because I see no annoying page refreshes.. Maybe has to do with moderation settings? Don't know...

I just turned it off.

I did too!

Skye, I have just spent 30 minutes trying to find where to turn the refresh off. Nothing under preferences. Please tell me where we go to do that? ;)

Yeah.. Mod staff is gonna discuss another "set" of ratings... Something less "MySpace" would be better for a SERIOUS "message board"... :auiqs.jpg:
Last two remaining MySpace members.
1585363484586.png

1585363427101.png

I just turned it off.

I did too!

Skye, I have just spent 30 minutes trying to find where to turn the refresh off. Nothing under preferences. Please tell me where we go to do that? ;)

When you click on "New Posts" look under the words "New Posts" and you'll see two arrows making a circle, next to that is a circle with a square in the center, next to that it says "This page will refresh in X seconds." Click on the circle with the square in the center, that's "stop."

Forum List

Back