New duct work for the house.

We've known for a while that the duct work in the house had some holes by the constant need for dusting and the $1200 to $1400 dollar electric bills in the heat of summer.
Welp we finally got an estimate and HOLY SHIT!!

$16'875 bucks!!!! Keep in mind this includes a new furnace. We've replaced all three A/C units and two of the furnaces so this is the last one.
They're also installing the 4 inch thick filters in each unit and adding the UV lights that kill mold and bacteria which can be a problem in the humid south.

Damn I hate spending money like this on the house!!!!
This would have paid for a new blower for my truck with a bit left over....aaaah the joys of homeownership.

But houses go up in value, and trucks, with or without a blower, go down in value. So you are making the better choice.

That said... please tell me you got 3 estimates. The biggest mistake is that people often go with the first estimate they get, and most companies know this. This is why if you get 3 estimates, usually the first one is the highest. The next two, know they are competing for business.

I would also ask your friends and neighbors. For some reason $17K seems high to me. But that might be normal in your area, I don't know.

I went with the same people who've done all my A/C work over the last 12 years.
They've installed three A/C units and 2 furnaces and I got multiple quotes at the time back then.
They are a bit more expensive but they always stand by their work and it's quality.

The house is just shy of 5k square feet and has three units so it really didnt surprise me when they quoted their price.
I've found that as I've gotten older I usually miss the mark by 25%. That rule held true yet again.

I see. Yeah, you live in a different world than me. 900 sq ft is huge in my world. Can't imagine why I would ever need or want a larger place.

So, never mind then. That price seems logical for the size of house you have.

You can count on one thing.......never again!!!
The Wife really wanted the house but I wanted to move further out to get some land but she didnt want the extra miles to work.
She's now in my court and wants land and a Barndominium.
I figure 2k living space and 5k garage space to keep all my toys and tools in with around 30 acres to play on.

Forum List

Back