New CNN Poll: Majority Now Against Impeaching Trump

The reason for this result is because the vast majority of Americans know the House by it's self can not remove a President from office so even if the Democrats in the House are dumb enough to try this it dies in the Senate just like it did with Bill Clinton in the 90s. I remind people in both parties to think long and hard about the precedents they set because sooner or later they will be used against you. Harry Reid and the Democrats set the precedent of changing the Senate rules to get cabinet nominees and lower court judges confirmed with just a simple majority vote instead of the 60 it had been that came back to bite them Mitch McConnell and the Republicans did the same thing with Supreme Court nominees that will bite them as well.
agree!

but no one will impeach Trump like repubs impeached Clinton for lying about Monica....

the Democrats in the house, will only impeach him if it is some thing or things that are CRIMINAL, indictable offenses, and only if there is bi-partisan support for it.... so that the Senate will remove him....

most of this talk about impeachment is simply shooting blanks, by both the far right and far left.... just talking trash, so to say...

Someone is going to be fired at CNN for letting the cat out of the bag!

A new CNN poll shows a majority of Americans are opposed to impeaching Donald Trump. In September, a plurality of 47 percent supported impeaching the president. Today, 50 percent say Trump shouldn't be removed from office.

Americans break against that idea, according to a new CNN poll conducted by SSRS. Half, 50%, say they don't feel that Trump ought to be impeached and removed from office, while 43% say he should be. Support for impeachment has dipped some since September, when 47% favored it, and is about the same as in a June poll (42% favored it then). Support for impeachment of Trump remains higher than it was for each of the last three presidents at any time it was asked. It's on par with President Richard Nixon, who 43% of Americans said should be impeached and removed from office in a March 1974 Harris poll.

The shift on impeachment comes mostly from political independents. In September, they were evenly split on the question, with 48% behind impeachment and 47% opposed. Now, 36% favor impeachment and 55% are opposed.

There's also been a meaningful shift on the question among younger adults (53% of those under age 45 backed impeachment in September, now that's down to 45%) and racial and ethnic minorities (66% favored it in September, 50% do now).

Is it just a coincidence that as the Russian collusion hysteria has disappeared down the rabbit hole — to be replaced by Michael Cohen hysteria — support for impeaching Trump has faded?

Just 12 percent of Democrats do not support impeaching the president. This doesn't prove polarization as much as it shows how deluded Democrats are as a party and why they are going to lose the presidency again in 2020.

This tweet is instructive:

I made this point on-air and was mocked by @JeffreyToobin. The whole animating ethos of the Dems is “resistance.” They have no agenda outside of Trump opposition, so they will absolutely impeach. Awful for our country, but inevitable. Buck Sexton on Twitter— Steve Cortes (@CortesSteve) December 12, 2018

The Democrats haven't had a serious agenda since 2008. In 2012, it was "re-elect the first black president." In 2016, it was "elect the first female president." What can they possibly offer the voters in 2020? "Medicare for all"? Faster, please. Free college tuition? Oh, yeah.
And who will be their candidate? One of the septuagenarians? Or one of the empty-headed radicals like Ocasio-Cortez or Beto?

Trying to impeach Trump will seal their fate -- much like it hurt Republicans in 1998. Ordinary Americans, unlike partisans, are very uneasy about overturning the results of an election without a slam-dunk case against the president.

Voters just aren't as stupid as Democrats think they are.
Uh, last I remembered, CNN is fake news.

when and if, the rubber hits the road, President Trump better RESIGN and not go through impeachment...

IF he goes through impeachment, it is unconstitutional to PARDON any person impeached and removed... so a pres pence COULD NOT pardon him....

this is why Nixon resigned at the 11th hour... right before being impeached
He can be impeached like Cunton but just like Cunton, can not be removed from office the Senate would need to do that and since the CommieRATS don't control that.....

You are correct and that is where the left fail to realize the House can impeach the President but without the Senate support it is meaningless ...

the whole reason the percentage went down is because the Dems will now control congress, and oversight of the executive branch can now take place.... there was no hope of the Republicans in majority, of doing their jobs.... a sigh of relief came with the blue wave.... thus the drop in impeachment favor.

You are correct and that is where the left fail to realize the House can impeach the President but without the Senate support it is meaningless ...
Very true, but if the evidence against Trump is bad enough (if), there will be moderate Senate Republicans who will be in a tough spot.

We'll see.

As you wrote " IF " and how I see it right now there is very little to impeach the moron for...

Also is it just me or impeaching Trump to put Pence in would be the biggest mistake the Democrats and left can do?

Very true, but if the evidence against Trump is bad enough (if), there will be moderate Senate Republicans who will be in a tough spot. We'll see.
As you wrote " IF " and how I see it right now there is very little to impeach the moron for...
Also is it just me or impeaching Trump to put Pence in would be the biggest mistake the Democrats and left can do?
Well, remember, both parties are controlled by their rabid bases. The Dems will be under enormous pressure as well.

They're probably going to do it anyway, but again, we'll see what the Senate Republicans have to deal with on this.

Very true, but if the evidence against Trump is bad enough (if), there will be moderate Senate Republicans who will be in a tough spot. We'll see.
Well, remember, both parties are controlled by their rabid bases. The Dems will be under enormous pressure as well.

They're probably going to do it anyway, but again, we'll see what the Senate Republicans have to deal with on this.
they won't do it unless he has committed crimes, real, crimes and only if they have bipartisan support for it....

they won't impeach in the house, unless the chances are strong that the Senate will convict....

they won't do it unless he has committed crimes, real, crimes and only if they have bipartisan support for it....

they won't impeach in the house, unless the chances are strong that the Senate will convict....
Well, my crystal ball isn't that clear.

Well, my crystal ball isn't that clear.
they've LEARNED from what the Republicans did to Clinton and how they got wiped out in the next election for it.

There's no case anyway. All they have to fly is "campaign finance violation" - which this ain't the first lassy Trump's paid into silence, rumor is there were hundreds - supposedly paid off long before Trump even thought about running for president. That ones a DOA kite on two counts. 1 if he was paying them off decades ago, this ain't campaign related, and 2 the American public already basically said they pretty much don't give a rats ass if the president is diddling pussy behind his wife's back - that's between husband and wife (*and mistresses?) not us.

Forum List

Back