New Build, more issues

I got an 10 year old "Bundle" with everything included. Installed it, and everything runs fine. 29 €.
There is a Phenom II X4 940 on the board and I have very high temps, as well. But they don´t increase when I turn on prime95. A sensor issue, I expect, es nothing happened during the 100 % stress test for several minutes.

I got an 10 year old "Bundle" with everything included. Installed it, and everything runs fine. 29 €.
There is a Phenom II X4 940 on the board and I have very high temps, as well. But they don´t increase when I turn on prime95. A sensor issue, I expect, es nothing happened during the 100 % stress test for several minutes.
What I was reading is Intel then AMD got sloppy and stayed sloppy with the CPU sensors even removing some for whatever reason.
Like I said I was using Speccy but it doesn't read CPU temps correctly and HWinFO64 is supposed to be programed to correctly read CPU temps. My readings after installing the latter dropped considerably.

What I was reading is Intel then AMD got sloppy and stayed sloppy with the CPU sensors even removing some for whatever reason.
Like I said I was using Speccy but it doesn't read CPU temps correctly and HWinFO64 is supposed to be programed to correctly read CPU temps. My readings after installing the latter dropped considerably.
I have the same high temps in Bios. Already changed the paste, not better. I am going to get another fan next.

I have the same high temps in Bios. Already changed the paste, not better. I am going to get another fan next.
Just remember you have a better than even chance it's the sensors and that the CPU is running at normal temps.

Just remember you have a better than even chance it's the sensors and that the CPU is running at normal temps.
On the other hand, the performance is not so good. Other systems with comparable hardware have signifiantly more performance.

I scored P4 209 in 3DMark 11 Performance

I figured out it must have to do with the temperatures. I am getting another cooler soon.
3f670f3b5278f0288b410c4f5f29f1ce.jpg

So the problem is solved. There is a bug in the Bios and it delivers higher voltage than displayed. So the Bios said 1,35V but in fact it was 1,46V and that resulted in the high temps. I set 1,25V and it works fine with insanely lower temps. But they are still higher than expected, the mounted cooler is also not appropriate for this CPU but for now it works.
The Phenom II is quite powerful, even V Rally 4 runs, it stutters below 50 FPS but I will get a new cooler and OC a bit, the 3 Ghz Phenom II has a good reach of play and it will be 3,4 or 3,5 Ghz without any problems or "attrition". Then I can reach constant 60+ FPS.

So, lets make a raw breakdown.

My second last CPU (I am ignoring my Q6600 PC, as it was bought as a refurbished PC) was a A10 5800K. The price was 120 € plus 50 € for the MB (both new) and although it has 4x3,8 Ghz, it is only 13 % faster than the Phenom II X4 940 (4x3Ghz), which costed 29 € (GPU and RAM was included but I don´t use them and put it on another MB). Plus I had to undervolt and underclock this thing due to heat issues. The one before that was a Phenom II X4 965 by the way. Then a Athlon X2 6000+, 4800+, Sempron 3200, ect.

My last CPU was a FX 8350 and it costed 110 € plus 100 for the MB (both second hand). Although it has 8x4 Ghz, it is only 37 % faster than the Phenom.

As I am not really obsessed with new games, I consider to make this the new PC for a while, so I can put the old MB back into the case. I only would need a new PSU, a case and some cables.

A whole PC for 29 € (32$):

pii9403bk3p.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back