New Build, more issues

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Been having multiple BSOD problems with the new build, pretty sure it's a crappy Win 10 download/install. I find corrupted files, fix em then a little while later I start having BSODs again. Testing components, removed the M.2 drive and hooked up the old HDD which used the same Media Creation Tool ISO thumb drive I created, all appeared to be running well until I woke it up this morning and immediately had a BSOD. Okay, switched out the RAM with some (better) RAM I had to test that, saw nothing yet but there's still time until I had an epiphany, re-install the M.2 drive, load Linux on the M.2 drive, the let it run for days. If I still get failures then there's a hardware issue, if not then my suspicions are confirmed and I have a bad Windows install.
Oh and I've already tried a fresh Windows install, same thumb drive, didn't help. Made sure ALL of my drivers were up to date, nope, no help there either.

Been having multiple BSOD problems with the new build, pretty sure it's a crappy Win 10 download/install. I find corrupted files, fix em then a little while later I start having BSODs again. Testing components, removed the M.2 drive and hooked up the old HDD which used the same Media Creation Tool ISO thumb drive I created, all appeared to be running well until I woke it up this morning and immediately had a BSOD. Okay, switched out the RAM with some (better) RAM I had to test that, saw nothing yet but there's still time until I had an epiphany, re-install the M.2 drive, load Linux on the M.2 drive, the let it run for days. If I still get failures then there's a hardware issue, if not then my suspicions are confirmed and I have a bad Windows install.
Oh and I've already tried a fresh Windows install, same thumb drive, didn't help. Made sure ALL of my drivers were up to date, nope, no help there either.

This is a custom built PC? What power supply are you running? What version of Win 10? Do you have a power hungry video card? Motherboard, CPU and the like all compatible? Have you tried different monitors?

This is a custom built PC? What power supply are you running? What version of Win 10? Do you have a power hungry video card? Motherboard, CPU and the like all compatible? Have you tried different monitors?
Custom build, all my components are specifically matched for the build and while not high end are at least mid range components. I've already tried two different GPUs, one Radeon, one EVGA gForce so I know it's not them. The Roswill HIVE 850 PSU could power a Abrams tank......... And it's working fine.
Basically it's at the point where it's either the mobo or a crappy Windows install, so far it's looking like a crappy Windows install but I want to make absolutely sure so the Linux will run for a few days, if it doesn't crap out then I know it's a software problem with Windows.

Making a few assumptions.
Power supply has been checked and is supplying the proper power. Checked with volt meter.
Memory has been run and checked just not replaced.
Cooling for cpu appropriate.
I would jump to a bad copy of Wnidows. Windows at its best is problematic. One small portion not perfect can cause crashes.

Power supply has been checked and is supplying the proper power. Checked with volt meter.
I would jump to a bad copy of Wnidows. Windows at its best is problematic. One small portion not perfect can cause crashes.
Yup, all done, all checked. Pretty sure something is corrupting the Windows download but I'm making sure just in case which is why I'm now running Linux Mint. This has been going on for a while, first thought was GPU, that wasn't it, checked the PSU, working perfectly, then suspected the M.2 drive, again when I pulled it and ran off the old HDD (Windows installed using the same thumb drive) still having BSODs.........

Windows 10 sucks! I would say the program is defective.
If you say so......... Obviously you don't know how to configure it so it doesn't suck. Besides, try playing Windows based games on a Linux machine...... Ain't gonna work. This is my gamer.

Yup, all done, all checked. Pretty sure something is corrupting the Windows download but I'm making sure just in case which is why I'm now running Linux Mint. This has been going on for a while, first thought was GPU, that wasn't it, checked the PSU, working perfectly, then suspected the M.2 drive, again when I pulled it and ran off the old HDD (Windows installed using the same thumb drive) still having BSODs.........
When you ran your partition manager, did you do a sector check?

Yes. I even ran DISM restore health and sfc /scannow a few times. Said everything was fixed then it would start all over again.
I even tried to install my old Win 7 via the install disc, it would get to the language select and neither my mouse or keyboard would work, apparently the USB drivers weren't there.
If it turns out that the Media Creation thumb drive which I've used on about 4 different machines has corrupted then I can make a new one and try it, if the problem still persists then I'll contact MS support for a possible install disc. That is as long as the Linux I have on it doesn't crash telling me it's the mobo.

Yes. I even ran DISM restore health and sfc /scannow a few times. Said everything was fixed the it would start all over again.
I even tried to install my old Win 7 via the install disc, it would get to the language select and neither my mouse or keyboard would work, apparently the USB drivers weren't there.
If it turns out that the Media Creation thumb drive which I've used on about 4 different machines has corrupted then I can make a new one and try it, if the problem still persists then I'll contact MS support for a possible install disc. That is as long as the Linux I have on it doesn't crash telling me it's the mobo.
I'm going to assume you have opened the device manager and all the drivers are working.

You've probably also done a google search, but I'll post a link to what I found on new windows builds.

Windows 10 Blue Screen of Death – You Can Quickly Fix It

Good luck. I'd be interested in hearing what you end up with as a final solution.

I've been thinking of building a gamer system but the only real experience I have with the m.2 drive is the upgrade to my wife's Dell system.

Yes. I even ran DISM restore health and sfc /scannow a few times. Said everything was fixed the it would start all over again.
I'm going to assume you have opened the device manager and all the drivers are working.

You've probably also done a google search, but I'll post a link to what I found on new windows builds.

Windows 10 Blue Screen of Death – You Can Quickly Fix It

Good luck. I'd be interested in hearing what you end up with as a final solution.

I've been thinking of building a gamer system but the only real experience I have with the m.2 drive is the upgrade to my wife's Dell system.
Done it at least fifteen times........ and yup, been to that site and many others a few times, followed all the instructions and nope, nothing stuck, problem continued. That's why I'm thinking something in the Win 10 core is corrupted and won't fix unless I use a new Media Creation Tool or a legal MS disc.

Rebooted back to the HDD (Win 10) yesterday to check out some things I had just thought about. Ended up updating more drivers plus a couple of other maintenance items, it's been running since yesterday without a BSOD. The HDD BSOD from a few days back could have been due to out of date or bad drivers that I missed the first time also it's is entirely possible the M.2 drive is indeed bad. Might clone the HDD to the M.2 and see what happens.
In my checking there was something I hadn't done, I have Speccy loaded and ran it to check sensors, it was telling me all 6 cores were running at 80 C......... No friggin way, the fans would be going nuts and I'd have a sunburn on the right side of my face......... :eusa_whistle:
Figured Speccy wasn't reading it correctly, bad sensors or incorrect target readings, investigated online and sure enough that was the typical consensus. Loaded HWiNFO64, an obviously much better package and everything is reading correctly and well within normal parameters.
By the way, HWiNFO64 has a free version which I used and a paid Pro version if anyone is interested.

One of the things I noticed was when the HDD had the BSOD a few days back it was after playing some games on Steam, the drivers/etc that needed upgrading were all gaming related, C++ etc. I'll continue to run it in Win 10 and see what happens. With any luck I may have discovered what the problem was, more research is indicating M.2 drive controllers definitely can have some issues. Apparently the Intel controllers are fine but the Marvel controllers can be unstable, mine's probably hooked up to a Marvel controller.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back