NEVER pass up a painted porcelain bowl at a yard sale!

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge
For a mere $35.00, an item reportedly worth $300,000 to $500,000 was obtained.

AP said:
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Talk about your yard sale finds. A small porcelain bowl bought for $35 at a Connecticut yard sale turned out to be a rare, 15th century Chinese artifact worth between $300,000 and $500,000 that is about to go up for auction at Sotheby’s.

The white bowl adorned with cobalt blue paintings of flowers and other designs is about 6 inches (16 centimeters) in diameter. An antiques enthusiast came across the piece and thought it could be something special when browsing a yard sale in the New Haven area last year, according to Sotheby’s.

The piece, one of only seven such bowls known to exist in the world, will be up for auction in New York on March 17 as part of Sotheby’s Auction of Important Chinese Art.

I look forward to March 17th....

AP said:
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Talk about your yard sale finds. A small porcelain bowl bought for $35 at a Connecticut yard sale turned out to be a rare, 15th century Chinese artifact worth between $300,000 and $500,000 that is about to go up for auction at Sotheby’s.

The white bowl adorned with cobalt blue paintings of flowers and other designs is about 6 inches (16 centimeters) in diameter. An antiques enthusiast came across the piece and thought it could be something special when browsing a yard sale in the New Haven area last year, according to Sotheby’s.

The piece, one of only seven such bowls known to exist in the world, will be up for auction in New York on March 17 as part of Sotheby’s Auction of Important Chinese Art.

Me too, I get beef brisket and cabbage along with red potatoes. I don't go to yard sales..

AP said:

Yup. Heard that on the news.

A few years ago a man bought a painting at a yard sale. He paid ten bucks for it.

When he got it home he didn't like the frame. He went and bought a new one and when changing the frames he uncovered the back. In the back was the US Declaration of Independence. He had it authenticated and it sold for 11 million.

Not bad for a ten dollar investment.

I have a rare Asian bowl but fact is so rare could not find anyone to verify it thus far. Maybe eventually in time I will find someone that can. It came from an avid Asian collector's collection who'd passed years ago and I got it after his son passed. Its not a super pretty piece so everyone else ignored it. I've passively collected Oriental goodies since the 70's and I knew it had to be Tang Synasty era when I found it and after getting Internet and searching I found some similar that came from the shipwreck near Belitung Island.

I found a little bit of info on the script on it but got busy doing other things so didn't search it any further.

bowl 4.jpg

Bowl 1.jpg

Hope you can get someone to authenticate it. You might be rich. LOL
Perhaps some day. I had some painted eggs once in a delicate little cabinet with a silk background that was all faded. I'd left it at my mom's while moving around when the children were babies. She thought it was junk so she tossed it. I wouln't find out until years later those little eggs were worth thousands.

Perhaps some day. I had some painted eggs once in a delicate little cabinet with a silk background that was all faded. I'd left it at my mom's while moving around when the children were babies. She thought it was junk so she tossed it. I wouldn't find out until years later those little eggs were worth thousands.
Things like that make me a fan of Antiques Roadshow, which appropriately in found on the History channel. Perhaps you should take your bowl to be evaluated on that show should it ever occur within your travel distance limits.

Perhaps some day. I had some painted eggs once in a delicate little cabinet with a silk background that was all faded. I'd left it at my mom's while moving around when the children were babies. She thought it was junk so she tossed it. I wouldn't find out until years later those little eggs were worth thousands.
Things like that make me a fan of Antiques Roadshow, which appropriately in found on the History channel. Perhaps you should take your bowl to be evaluated on that show should it ever occur within your travel distance limits.
We live pretty remote area so anywhere where they may go would be several hours away. Not only that but I kind of doubt they would know any more about it than I do at this point. When I first acquired the piece the claim was that they did not make blue an white that early. Since then a lot more has come out about that period of ceramics. A linguist may be helpful because of the grass script on it and someone who can do a particle spectrum on it to match it to period pieces. Who knows when I pass my children will probably have a garage sale and some lucky fool will snag it and have the ability to get it to the proper experts.

I can't wait to get out of here where I am living now and going back home. Yard sales here are awful.

Best things I found at yard sale so far was one of those tin toys from the 50's...halloween house where you puch the button and ghosts pop out front and the chimney? Paid 1 buck for it, sold it on ebay for $625.

Then the map. Old chinese school map you put on the wall in a classroom. OLD. Canvas back. That was in a free box at the yard sale. Grabbed it, spread it out on the lawn to take a pic, listed it on ebay, got $4200.00 something for it.

I have a rare Asian bowl but fact is so rare could not find anyone to verify it thus far. Maybe eventually in time I will find someone that can. It came from an avid Asian collector's collection who'd passed years ago and I got it after his son passed. Its not a super pretty piece so everyone else ignored it. I've passively collected Oriental goodies since the 70's and I knew it had to be Tang Synasty era when I found it and after getting Internet and searching I found some similar that came from the shipwreck near Belitung Island.

I found a little bit of info on the script on it but got busy doing other things so didn't search it any further.

View attachment 463673

View attachment 463675
I think it's Sothebys that will let you take a pic, front, back, closeup, etc and they will tell you what it is. Not sure if that's correct name..but if you browse, there are a lot of such places that will help with online appraisals etc. One is San Fran but I forgot the name of it.

For books.....BIBLIOFIND.com.

(I used to be a power seller on ebay many moons ago when Pierre first started the website and BEFORE Meg Whitman).

I wrote a couple of them and they were not interested. Mostly due to the fact just a few years prior the claim was that there was no blue an white in the Tang dynasty era (until the Belitung shipwreck was found) and those era pieces are unmarked. Very few experts in something that was claimed to be non existent for so many years. Specialty antiques is also a very clickish bunch. Maybe at some point if I find someone who truly has studied the Gongxian kilns blue and white pottery extensively we'll get someone that can appraise it properly.

edit: The cargo Belitung shipwreck was purchased for around 32 million. When the money gets that high stake on items and it is supposed to be the only items of that kind finding someone interested in a piece you have is a bit difficult. That is what I mean about clickish unless you are in those circles.

Last edited:
Everyone's dream when they go to an auction or a garage sale.

Forum List

Back