Netflix: The Gray Man

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
If you like action movies, you will like this one. Action it has... in spades.
But it does come with the usual suspects... guns with unlimited ammo clips, 20 soldiers shooting at the main character when he has no cover, but due to amazing acrobatics - none hit him. Characters that can make a moving head shot at 200 yards... in other scenes can't hit someone in the same room.
Surviving two grenades, gas explosions, train wrecks and multiple car crashes... the usual stuff.
If you can get past all of these fantastically unreal circumstances... and more... then you will like this movie.
But for me...there is only so much I can look past. Including of course.... you know it's going to be there... the female 5'2" badass that, despite the main character being the worlds best hired gun who can literally take on a small army and not even mess his hair up - for some reason if this girl is in the scene - he is a helpless child. And so she saves him at least 7-8 times.

And then there is the ending. There isn't one. Well there is, the hero gets to be the hero, saves everyone... but the director didn't think it was important to show the audience how. You sit through two hours waiting to see how the hero does it... only to see a pretty scene of him with the girl and child he saves... leaving you with thinking... "wait, this can't be the end".

For me it is a SOLID fail. I just can't suspend the mountains of reality the movies requires of you and the ending is so dissatisfying - I give it 2 out of 5 stars.

It's quite amusing that in many movies and TV shows that a small bad ass woman that is probably not over 115 pounds can kick the asses of several full sized men that are trained for combat. Understandable if the female has some kind of superpower... but very unrealistic. Of course, do we really want realistic....not always.

It's quite amusing that in many movies and TV shows that a small bad ass woman that is probably not over 115 pounds can kick the asses of several full sized men that are trained for combat. Understandable if the female has some kind of superpower... but very unrealistic. Of course, do we really want realistic....not always.
The one that always gets me is when that little woman walks up to a bad ass man and kicks him in the balls.

As a man, I can tell you there is a natural reaction to protect your jewels. No woman is going to get a straight shot.

Any woman that tries to kick the badass in the balls and fails is going to have the shit beat out of her.

The one that always gets me is when that little woman walks up to a bad ass man and kicks him in the balls.

As a man, I can tell you there is a natural reaction to protect your jewels. No woman is going to get a straight shot.

Any woman that tries to kick the badass in the balls and fails is going to have the shit beat out of her.
But that's the stereotype that Hollywood wants to portray.
Women can avoid being brutally assaulted it the guy just lets them kick em in the nuts.
Also...Hollywood doesn't think we'll notice all of the sex-changes and ethnicity changes of many lead characters in the Marvel Universe.
I hear they want to turn Professor X into a Black Homosexual.

But it does come with the usual suspects... guns with unlimited ammo clips, 20 soldiers shooting at the main character when he has no cover, but due to amazing acrobatics - none hit him. Characters that can make a moving head shot at 200 yards... in other scenes can't hit someone in the same room.
Surviving two grenades, gas explosions, train wrecks and multiple car crashes... the usual stuff.
If you can get past all of these fantastically unreal circumstances... and more... then you will like this movie.
But for me...there is only so much I can look past. Including of course.... you know it's going to be there... the female 5'2" badass that, despite the main character being the worlds best hired gun who can literally take on a small army and not even mess his hair up - for some reason if this girl is in the scene - he is a helpless child. And so she saves him at least 7-8 times.

And then there is the ending. There isn't one. Well there is, the hero gets to be the hero, saves everyone... but the director didn't think it was important to show the audience how. You sit through two hours waiting to see how the hero does it... only to see a pretty scene of him with the girl and child he saves... leaving you with thinking... "wait, this can't be the end".

For me it is a SOLID fail. I just can't suspend the mountains of reality the movies requires of you and the ending is so dissatisfying - I give it 2 out of 5 stars.

Sounds like the director and screen writer couldn't up with a good ending.

I like action movies as long there is real character development of the central characters, otherwise they are just cardboard characters blowing things up and I have no reason to care what happens to them.

Sounds like the director and screen writer couldn't up with a good ending.

I like action movies as long there is real character development of the central characters, otherwise they are just cardboard characters blowing things up and I have no reason to care what happens to them.
It's the latter.
There is no development at all.

I just wish Netflix would produce more shows like Ozarks, Queens Gambit, Maid, or Bodyguard. Recently saw Enola Homes with Millie Bobby Brown (Eleven in Stranger Things) which I enjoyed.

I'm about an hour into this movie and there is not a single original scene so far.

This is a real stinker.

It was said this was supposed to be Netflix's new franchise along the lines of James Bond.

Nope!

I hear they want to turn Professor X into a Black Homosexual.

Still better than Stewart...

saucy-picard-meme.jpg

I'm about an hour into this movie and there is not a single original scene so far.

This is a real stinker.

It was said this was supposed to be Netflix's new franchise along the lines of James Bond.

Nope!
The directors and producer talking about making this movie....

"We gotta have explosions..."
"Oh yeah... we will blow some shit up..."
"And lots of guns and shooting"
'yeah and let's not waste time having them reload..just keep shooting and shooting and..."
'so the main character.. super dude man... he can kill anyone, takes on 20 sharpshooters and can instinctively know where every bullet is and be able to do some gymnastic moves to dodge them..."
"awesome!!... well, except when the girl is in the scene... let's make him a real dumbass when she is around... and can't fight, in fact people beat him up like a child"
"Oh hell yes... critics will eat us alive if the main girl is not smarter, tougher and has the power of Jesus saving the main character... and all he can do is sit back in wonder!!"

Yeah.... critics will love it!!"

Forum List

Back