Netflix password sharing is about to be gone.

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
“We’ve landed on a thoughtful approach to monetize account sharing and we’ll begin rolling this out more broadly starting in early 2023,” Netflix wrote in a letter to shareholders. “After listening to consumer feedback, we are going to offer the ability for borrowers to transfer their Netflix profile into their own account, and for sharers to manage their devices more easily and to create subaccounts (“extra member”), if they want to pay for family or friends.”

The strategy is similar to tests Netflix has been running in Latin America that forced subscribers to pay an extra $2.99 for each additional home-streaming Netflix.

Netflix to begin charging for account sharing. Here’s when.

LOL....The entitled whining has already started....And this comment is from a right-leaning site member.

"I'm not clear how they'll enforce this. What about a kid that splits time between parents? What if you travel a lot? What if I like to watch at work when meetings get boring?" :laughing0301:

“We’ve landed on a thoughtful approach to monetize account sharing and we’ll begin rolling this out more broadly starting in early 2023,” Netflix wrote in a letter to shareholders. “After listening to consumer feedback, we are going to offer the ability for borrowers to transfer their Netflix profile into their own account, and for sharers to manage their devices more easily and to create subaccounts (“extra member”), if they want to pay for family or friends.”

The strategy is similar to tests Netflix has been running in Latin America that forced subscribers to pay an extra $2.99 for each additional home-streaming Netflix.

LOL....The entitled whining has already started....And this comment is from a right-leaning site member.

"I'm not clear how they'll enforce this. What about a kid that splits time between parents? What if you travel a lot? What if I like to watch at work when meetings get boring?" :laughing0301:

Get a VPN.

Never subscribed to that crap....

DudeNoFuck.jpg

How exactly are they going to enforce this?

I see Netflix becoming the next MySpace. The day I can't watch Netfix on every device I own is the day I cancel Netflix.

I know a couple who has five grown children and all of those households are using the same Netflix account. I never understood why Netflix allowed it as simultaneous viewing has to be happening.
They aren't sophisticated enough to track simultaneous viewing. All they can check is IP addresses logged in from.

Netflix thinks that the way to recover all the customers they've lost is to raise prices and offer less to subscribers,

They aren't sophisticated enough to track simultaneous viewing. All they can check is IP addresses logged in from.

Netflix thinks that the way to recover all the customers they've lost is to raise prices and offer less to subscribers,
All this technology and Netflix hasn't figured out how to only allow one account access at a time? For crying out loud, my internet provider can tell me how many devices are accessing their satellites at any given time--seems the same technology could be used to limit the number of devices using a particular account.

All this technology and Netflix hasn't figured out how to only allow one account access at a time? For crying out loud, my internet provider can tell me how many devices are accessing their satellites at any given time--seems the same technology could be used to limit the number of devices using a particular account.

That's kind of the thing. Netflix built their infrastructure a decade ago. They are running on legacy code. To revamp it would require tearing out core functions and redesigning them.

My two kids watched Netflix via our account for free the whole time they went to college 90 miles away.
I always wondered how on earth did they not do anything.
I have known people that had Netflix on a Playstation etc. when they was a kid living at home, and continued to watch it for years and years long after they moved out.
Netflix has been amazingly lax about free accounts for a very long time. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with them wanting to reign in the free loaders.

And BTW - we have Disney+ on our Roku using my daughters account for when our granddaughter is here.
They also share their account with her mother and his mother. So four TVs in four different zip codes.
We never watch it, but obviously Disney must be pretty desperate to have anyone watching free or not.

And BTW - we have Disney+ on our Roku using my daughters account for when our granddaughter is here.
They also share their account with her mother and his mother. So four TVs in four different zip codes.
We never watch it, but obviously Disney must be pretty desperate to have anyone watching free or not.
They either have no technology to ascertain how many devices are using their service or their location or they are just too lazy to implement it in their business model. Cable companies have struggled with the same problem with people illegally tapping into their cables for 50 years. I don't advocate it, but the companies have themselves to blame if they don't do something about it.

Update:

Netflix has said that it will put an end to that arrangement starting in 2023, asking people who share accounts to pay to do so. The company expects to begin rolling out the change in the U.S. early in the year. -WSJ

Sigh, this is not a virtue signaling thread.....Perhaps you guys would like to chime in on the NFL too so your virtue signaling will be complete for the evening? :laughing0301:

Personally, despite the inevitable inclusion of "woke" BS, I find Netflix still has the best bang for the buck.

Far more superior movies and shows.

Amazon, Hulu and Apple all have mostly shit original content. And the rest of the services are like switching around on cable without the commercials.

As a movie buff all I need is Netflix, HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.

Most of the people who dig the other services have kids or are into reality TV or bad shows.

Just my take.

Personally, despite the inevitable inclusion of "woke" BS, I find Netflix still has the best bang for the buck.

Far more superior movies and shows.

Amazon, Hulu and Apple all have mostly shit original content. And the rest of the services are like switching around on cable without the commercials.

As a movie buff all I need is Netflix, HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.

Most of the people who dig the other services have kids or are into reality TV or bad shows.

Just my take.
Pretty much the same with me.
Netflix has royally pissed me off several times. And the "Cuties" incident came as close to me dumping Netflix as ever before.
But they have enormous content, and their interface is literally 10 times better than everyone else's.

Forum List

Back