Netflix new WW1 movie is good

I'm sure it's a great movie, but at my stage of life I really don't need the dramatization of the futility and horror of war. I read All is Quiet on the Western Front years ago, saw the 1979 movie, and lived through enough war. That's enough for me but glad you enjoyed the movie.
My sentiments exactly. I refuse to watch war movies now, though I enjoyed them when I was young. It’s all so disgusting watching young men killing and suffering for no reason. War is something we should all despise.

My father and I read whole libraries of books about WWII.

A few years ago, I started studying WWI. I started with the iconic The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman.

I recently finished The War That Ended Peace by Margaret MacMillan.

Both are outstanding reads.

This new movie version of All Quiet is very good.
I really never liked books and movies about WWI. It was all so damn stupid and millions died for nothing. The goals and reasons for WWII were far more well defined. That did not make it a better war but a more necessary war.

All is quite on the Western Front

A new adaptation

Movie really does a great job showing the horrors of war on a personal level.
You see the movie through Paul and his friends

The cinematography is superb
It really captures the darkness and futility of this stupid war to the end
If you like it you should watch the original black and white version. It was radical for it's time. Then watch 1917. Way cool.

I really never liked books and movies about WWI. It was all so damn stupid and millions died for nothing. The goals and reasons for WWII were far more well defined. That did not make it a better war but a more necessary war.
The Guns of August and The War That Ended The Peace are both worth reading. They go into great detail of just how stupid WWI was.

They are mostly about the pre-war period and the decisions which led to the world blundering its way into the war.

The Guns of August and The War That Ended The Peace are both worth reading. They go into great detail of just how stupid WWI was.

They are mostly about the pre-war period and the decisions which led to the world blundering its way into the war.
All wars are stupid wars.

I read the book Guns of August years ago. It was about incompliant diplomacy that led to war. I think there was a lot of other factors that were just as important. First being the number defense agreements between countries. Almost any war in Europe would spread rapidly across the continent. Also diplomacy as well as military leadership was pure 19th century which failed to take into account how devastating 20th century weaponry had become.

Forum List

Back