Needle Arts

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I've been working on a cross stitch that I plan to put in a frame and use as a coaster on my desk at work (my coffee cup is MUCH too big for regular coasters). But I've had to take a break from it to make some bathroom rugs. I was going to just buy some, but my husband said, "Remember that rug you crocheted for a bathroom back in the old house? I really loved that. Why don't you make some more to match the new bathroom?" How do you refuse a line like that?

Hopefully, I will have the rugs knocked out by the end of the weekend and can get back to my cross stitch..

Anyone else out there enjoy needle arts?

Yup yup yup. I crochet, and quilt (though finishing is a challenge). And embroider. I've made a couple of rag rugs but honestly I have found it's cheaper just to spend money on a rug I really like. Because we have dogs, we go through rugs and I hate throwing away stuff I make.

Do you have pics? I don't have pictures on this computer, but I have some on my facebook that I can grab.

Yup yup yup. I crochet, and quilt (though finishing is a challenge). And embroider. I've made a couple of rag rugs but honestly I have found it's cheaper just to spend money on a rug I really like. Because we have dogs, we go through rugs and I hate throwing away stuff I make.

Do you have pics? I don't have pictures on this computer, but I have some on my facebook that I can grab.

I'm very bad about taking pictures of things. When I finish the bathroom rugs (which I had to take a break from, because I was working weekends), I'll grab a pic.

Does it hurt your hands after a while? My mom knits blankets a lot. She had to stop because she started getting arthritis.

Does it hurt your hands after a while? My mom knits blankets a lot. She had to stop because she started getting arthritis.
It can. It can also be therapeutic. Some mediums are harder on hands than others. I hate acrylic, I've made a lot of stuff with acrylic and it tears up my hands.

But there is a certain adjustment period to crocheting..or knitting. Back pain, neck pain, arm pain, carpal tunnel..all can result from taking up any needle. Eye strain, too. You have to treat it as any repetitive physical exercise and adjust movements accordingly. I used to hold everything too tight and just wrong...I had to learn how to properly hold my needle and yarn after decades of doing it wrong when I took it back up a few years ago. It was slow going at first.

1011006_749222735090783_1182251720_n.jpg

The ears are something underneath the hat and cocoon I made him ;) Which he hated.

He's flipping off leftists everywhere.

I made a little mermaid outfit for my daughter's children's theatre director's baby the year they did The Little Mermaid.
1959370_766347733378283_1328110676_n.jpg

I made some hats and scarves, the kids made fun of them, I don't know why:

1897819_752818391397884_143486875_n.jpg

I alsomade some ponchos. I love them, the girl modeled them and maybe wore it once or twice lol. Kids are snobby about mom's crocheted stuff:

10900002_915676868445368_7469668096522457329_o.jpg

You should see what it does to your hands to knit one of these bad boys...

8eaf106cfac50434b45721a42dbb3f92.jpg

:10:
What is it made of? I thought once I might try making some indoor/outdoor rugs made out of plastic grocery bags. I spent about 20 minutes and was like nope no way. Literally shreds your hands.

Cool stuff. These are all very nice. Good work, all.

I have one of my mom's blankets around here some place. Dunno where, though. I should try to find it and put it out some place.

What is it made of? I thought once I might try making some indoor/outdoor rugs made out of plastic grocery bags. I spent about 20 minutes and was like nope no way. Literally shreds your hands.
Well, that particular one is made of what looks to be stainless steel. Might be aluminum though.

No, I'm serious. This is a chainmalle shirt woven of interconnected jump rings.

Well, that particular one is made of what looks to be stainless steel. Might be aluminum though.
My bad I thought maybe you made it.

I've never seen one made with motifs that way. I'm familiar with the old fashioned mail..

My bad I thought maybe you made it.

I've never seen one made with motifs that way. I'm familiar with the old fashioned mail..

I would love to have made that, but I just don't have that kind of time.

Are they rag rugs?

No, yarn. I got a shower curtain I absolutely loved in shades of turquoise, lavender, and white, then went out and found huge skeins of those same colors of yarn. I'm using all three strands at once, with a huge plastic crochet hook for rugs, so it has a variegated quality. I plan to do a big rectangle for the bath mat, and a circular rug with a wedge left out of it to go around the toilet. Whatever yarn I have left over can be a smaller rectangle in front of the sink.

No. I have arthritis, although it hasn't deformed or swollen the joints as yet, but it mostly causes me problems when I try to grip something really hard. The amount of pressure needed to wield a crochet hook doesn't bother me, and I haven't lost any dexterity as yet.

I made some hats and scarves, the kids made fun of them, I don't know why:

View attachment 206292

I alsomade some ponchos. I love them, the girl modeled them and maybe wore it once or twice lol. Kids are snobby about mom's crocheted stuff:

View attachment 206291

My boys have small afghans, lap rugs really, that my mom made for them. They carry them all over the house with them. Quinlan absolutely cannot watch TV without his afghan and his bear (named Bigpaw), even in the summer.

I've made chain mail jewelry. My arthritis won't let me work with anything heavier than aluminum rings.

I LOVE this pattern, and you MUST tell me where you got it.

I believe they have yarn and thread intended for outdoor stuff, but I won't swear to it.

Forum List

Back