Needed: More Muslims Like Zuhdi Jasser

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Defeating Radical Islam
By Jeff Jacoby, Boston Globe
March 25, 2007

Over the years, CAIR and other Islamist groups have gotten much mileage out of such strong-arm tactics . But there is good news: Some Americans are pushing back. And even better news: Some of the push-back is coming from Muslims who forcefully reject the Islamist project.

One of the most impressive of these anti-Islamist moderates is Dr. Zuhdi Jasser, an Arizona physician, US Navy veteran, and devout Sunni Muslim. In 2003 he founded the American Islamic Forum for Democracy to "stand against the religious fanatics who exploit the religion of Islam for a nihilistic, anti-American, anti-Western war." On the day that CAIR and the imams trumpeted their lawsuit, Jasser and AIFD issued a statement supporting US Airways and denouncing the litigation as "wrong for American Muslims, wrong for American security, and wrong for American freedoms." Last week Jasser went further: He offered to raise money for the legal defense of any passengers sued by the imams.

for full article:
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2007/03/25/defeating_radical_islam/

But even more critical is the need to delegitimize the Islamist message that resonates with so many Muslims. To permanently end the "war on terrorism," we must defeat the ideology that motivates the terrorists.
There are a few that have made stands against radicals but it takes a lot more and world wide support before this will ever really be a big valid news event...

I don't know about you, but it makes me feel good that even ONE Muslim has the courage and conviction to stand up and be counted against radical Islam. If the MSM would print Dr. Jasser's story, maybe it would encourage more of the "silent" majority Muslims to speak out as well. But as you have implied, printing stories like Dr. Jasser's will never happen.

The corporate news media needs the war to sell papers. The only way they can help facilitate that is if there is a universal enemy of some sort that will help their stories... that is why you don't see these stories in them.

I don't know about you, but it makes me feel good that even ONE Muslim has the courage and conviction to stand up and be counted against radical Islam. If the MSM would print Dr. Jasser's story, maybe it would encourage more of the "silent" majority Muslims to speak out as well. But as you have implied, printing stories like Dr. Jasser's will never happen.

Well she ain't a Muslim she is a Christian and she knows her stuff:
http://www.americancongressfortruth.com/

While what Gabriel has to say about her personal experience with militant Islam and her warning to the West as a consequence of that experience is worthwhile and should be heard, it does not have the same clout against the terrorists that the silent--and presumably peaceful-- majority of Muslims would have if they spoke out against the violent practitioners of their religion. Why the majority is silent is anyone’s guess, but probably it is fear that they would be branded apostates and targeted for death by the militants. That's just giving them the benefit of the :doubt:; who knows for sure? The majority may actually support what the militants are doing.

While what Gabriel has to say about her personal experience with militant Islam and her warning to the West as a consequence of that experience is worthwhile and should be heard, it does not have the same clout against the terrorists that the silent--and presumably peaceful-- majority of Muslims would have if they spoke out against the violent practitioners of their religion. Why the majority is silent is anyone’s guess, but probably it is fear that they would be branded apostates and targeted for death by the militants. (That's called giving them the benefit of the :doubt:.)

That is true but hearing her on C-SPAN I was very supportive of her intentions and comments. She is one of them from the view point of looks, language and region and is knowledgeable about the religion.
Fear could be a motivated excuse but you can't beat the power of numbers it has a proven tract record but not to preach to choir I would hope more muslims would stand up and support these values.

Considering:
  • Over 20% of the world population (aprox 1.3 billion) are muslim
  • Radical muslims are all over the world and well connected/funded
  • Hate and anger for the West is continuously growing within the non-radical crowd

I don't feel that optimistic as you.

Considering:
  • Over 20% of the world population (aprox 1.3 billion) are muslim
  • Radical muslims are all over the world and well connected/funded
  • Hate and anger for the West is continuously growing within the non-radical crowd

I don't feel that optimistic as you.

isn't that radical number around 30 percent of the muslims? pretty large number.

I've been in a debate over how peaceful is the Muslim faith or religion? Seems to be pretty unstable and thus can be said over Christianity at times. I haven't known of the Christian faiths to go and kill masses or use suicide bombers or stuff like that in the name of God. I mean we've seen the cults like Jim Jones and David Koresh and the inner distruction these cults can do to it's members. But until proven other wise I don't think the muslim religion is all that peaceful or the ones that are moderates aren't properly worshipping?

There are many components in all 3 judeo christian islamic faiths (and probably other religions as well) that are unjust towards specific groups (e.g. women) - and when there are injustices there's usually never peace.

There are many components in all 3 judeo christian islamic faiths (and probably other religions as well) that are unjust towards specific groups (e.g. women) - and when there are injustices there's usually never peace.

It wouldn't be human if there was peace. With regards to unjust issues those have been around since time. The total extreme we are witnessing is really messed up and the claim is there religion is being threatened which I disagree with but I'm one vioce on that one.:lol:

New Topics

Forum List

Back