Need help with pc

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Ringel05 since you are experienced with this crap, lol.
I need to get another pc I guess. But MrGracie has a laptop and he said he will give it to me unless I wanna keep something else once bought. Which is the dilemma.

What is the difference between an IPAD, Chromebook, notebook and other similar tablets?
Neither of us use the pc as much as we used to. However, we both play games (solitare, etc..not gamers game stuff), we both need our email, we both want to watch netflix etc, browse the net, post on twitter, order online stuff, banking, etc. Thats about it. So if he bought one..which would suffice for him if we choose that route instead of another laptop?

What are the differences with these tablet thingies?

Last edited:
An iPad is a tablet, chrome book is a laptop. Notebook often refers to a laptop. The surface by Microsoft is a tablet.
A tablet is more portable then a laptop.
An iPad uses Apples IOS software so if you are use to using Windows it takes some getting use to. There seem to be a lot less viruses that attack iPads.
Cromebook uses google software. Batteries seem to last but I have heard it is limited in what it can handle.
You seem to be familiar with laptops.

I can not really give you any idea what will work best for you as everyone's needs are different.
I use an IPad for almost everything. I do not use it for watching Netflix as I only plug it in at night. Other then that I use it for about everything else you mentioned. I only use the laptop for first person gaming, and printing.

I need to get another pc I guess. But MrGracie has a laptop and he said he will give it to me unless I wanna keep something else once bought. Which is the dilemma.

What is the difference between an IPAD, Chromebook, notebook and other similar tablets?
Neither of us use the pc as much as we used to. However, we both play games (solitare, etc..not gamers game stuff), we both need our email, we both want to watch netflix etc, browse the net, post on twitter, order online stuff, banking, etc. Thats about it. So if he bought one..which would suffice for him if we choose that route instead of another laptop?

Chromebooks are easy.

Just my 2¢

I was just googling the same question I posed above. Chromebook look interesting. I already use Chrome as a browser. Even MrGs laptop is set for Crhome.

It really depends on what you want, Gracie. Do you want a keyboard, a touch screen, or just a tablet with no keyboard?

The only other difference is the operating system.

It really depends on what you want, Gracie. Do you want a keyboard, a touch screen, or just a tablet with no keyboard?

I want a keyboard. And a mouse. Tuping on my cell sucks. Too small.
I want my AOL/Gmail cuz that's what I use for emails. I want Yahoo cuz thats where I read my horoscope daily. I want my twitter, USMB, Pinterest, WeHeartIt and I want to browse the net. I want Amazon to order stuff. I want Netflix on it. That about sums it up, lol.

I want my AOL/Gmail cuz that's what I use for emails. I want Yahoo cuz thats where I read my horoscope daily. I want my twitter, USMB, Pinterest, WeHeartIt and I want to browse the net. I want Amazon to order stuff. I want Netflix on it. That about sums it up, lol.

Get an HP laptop, install Chrome and get a wireless mouse and you'll be set.

Based on your limited use, and simple needs, it is my opinion that you should buy a Chromebook.

This is the cheapest, and simplest method for achieving all that you require. It also require the least amount of maintenance. Little chance of crashes, or having issues. Can't really have viruses, or malware, or adware (that I am aware of).

Now this will require you to re-learn how to do a few things. However, nearly everything is fairly simple.

For example, there is no solitaire program on a Chomebook. Instead you will just type solitaire into your web browser, and you can play right from there.

However, once you get past the few things that are different, you should be set. Chromebooks are easy, simple, cheap, and do most everything I can see you needing to do.

That said, I want to just say the obvious, that with any group of products, there are terrible ones. So don't buy the absolute cheapest Chromebook you can.

I personally would either buy from ASUS, or Google Pixelbook. (why Google calls their Chromebooks, Pixelbooks, I don't know)

Do not buy Lenovo Chromebooks. It's a paperweight. Still relatively cheap for a computerized paperweight, but a paperweight nonetheless.

With ChromeCast you should be able to play your netflix on most TVs. Again, if you buy a decent enough Chromebook, you should have no problem at all watching anything from a Chromebook.

Based on what you have said, I think you will be perfectly happy with a Chromebook.

However, if you do not wanting to re-learn anything, then I would buy a low-end windows laptop. You won't have to change anything on how you do stuff, because it will be identical to what you know already.

The iPad is a fantastic device. Lot's of features, cool abilities, does all kinds of neat stuff. Very easy to use. Two things about that:

Do you have an iPhone? An iPad runs on the same software as an iPhone. If you have used an iPhone at some point, then you know what an iPad is. It will do everything you want. However, it is not Windows. Everything will be different from Windows.

Additionally, iPad's are powerful little computers, and thus are generally more expensive. Comparing the cost and power of an iPad, to what you intend to use it for, is a bit of an over kill.

It's like using IBM's $97 Million Supercomputer at NASA, to play cards.

I personally love Apple products, and I think the iPad is a great product, I just don't think you really need it for what you want.

Hope that helps.

Okay, a notebook is essentially a small laptop that can run either Windows or Linux as an operating system, Macbook is a small Apple laptop. IPAD is a tablet, tablets are handheld computers that do not have a keyboard attached, they're touch screen like a smart phone only bigger and can run pretty much any operating system, they do have a virtual keyboard built in.
Chromebook is a small laptop that runs the Chrome operating system (Google) which is more web (internet) centric, it's built off of Linux. The available apps (programs) for Chromebook are somewhat limited but rapidly growing and I doubt they don't have anything you might use except the Windows games you're probably playing currently. Chromebook is probably the cheapest of all of them and anything Apple is going to be twice the price if you get a super good deal.........
Bringing up games, Chromebook, anything Apple and Linux will NOT run the old built in Windows games, period. Windows 8 and 10 no longer have those old games but they are available for free from Winaero for Windows 8 and 10.
Chromebook and Linux operating systems are the most secure You can get similar games to the old Windows games but you'll have to get used to a different look and feel. Chromebooks and some notebooks and full sized laptops are also 2 in 1s which mean they can function as a laptop and a tablet.

It's going to come down to what you ultimately want; notebooks and Chromebooks typically run up to 13 in screens, laptops 15 in to 17 inch screens. I'm not that familiar with tablets because I personally prefer a real keyboard and mouse so I really can't tell you that much about them. Other than my 13" s in 1 Lenovo my primary laptop is a 17" monster, why? I'm not getting any younger and my eyesight's not getting any better however it's been mostly collecting dust for these last few months. Other than this Linux desktop all my other computers I have back to running on Windows 10 though I have them all set up to look like Windows 7.
Chromebooks are cheap and fast but limited, Apple computers (including IPADs) tend to be expensive and with both there's at least a slight learning curve to use. Windows is well Windows but you aren't limited to the Google Store or the Apple App Store. A "full sized" laptop vs a Chromebook, tablet or notebook is generally more powerful, better graphics and heavier, think of them as desktop replacements. You're also going to have a bit of a learning curve with Windows 10.
I hope all of that helps set you in the right direction that suits you.

You can have anything and everything on no matter what, Gracie. The only thing that matters is what you want to view it on.

You want a keyboard, well, there's several ways to have a keyboard. You can have one built in, or you can have a nice tablet and get a USB keyboard, or a wireless keyboard, and mouse the same, so your choices are really unlimited. There's a way to have whatever you want under any circumstances.

Your budget is your only limitation. How much do want to spend?

Last edited:
4 years ago I splurged & got each of the boys a small HP Laptop. #3 likes using a mouse. & they both have run theirs thru a tv screen for better visibility when gaming and whatever else. They can do just about anything on them and at less than $200 each, was the best investment everrrrr.

and if it can keep 2 manchilds engaged for 4 years and counting, I'm sure it would do whatever you needed it for.

Chromebooks sound ideal for you. Not suitable for heavy gaming or up to lots of office stuff but perfect for entertainment stuff. And it sounds like you already are familiar with chrome.

Forum List

Back