Need Community Input, Please Vote

Should individuals be allowed multiple accounts at USMB?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 100.0%

• Total voters

Scooter

Dec 22, 2006
Should multiple accounts be against site policy, or do they allow for interesting elements of community feedback, debate and anonymity?

I am not entirely sure how to vote on this... my son has his own email account, but posts on another messageboard from our computer at home. He would have a different email address but the same IP address if he registered here. My wife is in the same boat.

I am not entirely sure how to vote on this... my son has his own email account, but posts on another messageboard from our computer at home. He would have a different email address but the same IP address if he registered here. My wife is in the same boat.

Yes, those are legitimate concerns...

I'll edit the poll to simply say "one account per person" with the understanding that we have an arsenal of tools at our disposal to enforce this, though they are far from perfect.

I vote 'no', with the caveat that with an explanation to admin/mods of situations like MM. That never was an issue for Jim or Gregg, as long as they were made aware of it. The posters made it clear about relationships, but that can be interesting in and of itself. 2 of my 3 kids are way left of me. If they were to sign up, well...

Should multiple accounts be against site policy, or do they allow for interesting elements of community feedback, debate and anonymity?
IMO, having two active ID's should be strictly against site policy with a permaban if caught. If one has two accounts but isn't using one then the one not being used should be deactivated. I understand that some people might share an IP address at work or something but there's no excuse for having the same e-mail address.

Having multiple ID's allows a person to post without being held accountable for their comments. It also compromises the rep system. It'd be pretty messed up if one person where using multiple ID's in a debate to make it seem like they held a majority opinion.

Why do you ask by chance? Is there someone on the board using two or more ID's at the same time? Please rat them out if it's the case.

Why do you ask by chance? Is there someone on the board using two or more ID's at the same time? Please rat them out if it's the case.

I'm not aware of anyone currently doing it. The issue was brought up in the Taunting Arena and I realized that before I bothered to investigate whether people were using multiple accounts, I would need make it more explicitly against the rules.

Our current guidelines document only obliquely refers to "multiple accounts" being forbidden.

So, before I tighten up the language and guidelines...I wanted to seek input.

The issue was brought up in the Taunting Arena and I realized that before I bothered to investigate whether people were using multiple accounts, I would need make it more explicitly against the rules.
Oh that dude. Yeah, I agree with 5stringJeff, he's a spammer which puts him in a whole new category.

I voted no because this board has the rep feature. Allowing multi-regs would just enable abuse of the rep system.

I wouldn't mind per se. But how would one keep someone with multiple names from repping the posts they put up under their other names?

If 'repping' were the problem, I'd have no problem. Moreso the piling on, like on here:

http://usmessageboard.com/showthread.php?p=542837#post542837

Several. I could deal with, though lots of dings and nasties. What about a newbie to the board or one that finds being outnumbered, makes them feel wrong?

What would be the purpose for one person to have multiple idenities on the board? For honesty and integrity's sake only one account for each member is the best.

What would be the purpose for one person to have multiple idenities on the board? For honesty and integrity's sake only one account for each member is the best.

I can't rep, too much for 24 hours. Point made however.

Its not hard to get a new email. I guess I would say take a serious vote and go with the outcome, if a family needs to use that one email, make the exception.

I say no, unless as has been said, admin is aware of reasons.Some of the sneaky bastards talk to themselves for crying out loud.

I'm undecided, but I'll get back to you on it!

It sounds as if it will be difficult to etch the rule in stone. Of course we could call for good ol' integrity. Oh well, never mind! I think it is kinda fun to dismantle the little delinquents activities, then the authoritarians can boot their ass off. We all get to be like Sherlock Holmes sorta kinda like. We could just have some fun with it and see who can catch the most cheaters.

catch a cheater = 3 rep points

Get them to fess up in a pm between 1:00 and 2:00 am = bonus points

We could have tournaments!

My vote is..........................................is....................................................................................................................................................................................maybe.

To be honest, I prefer admin/mods to have two accounts - one for their "user" selves and one for their "official" selves. Kinda keeps it clean and neat IMO. But no other reason exists to have multiple accounts by a single person.

To be honest, I prefer admin/mods to have two accounts - one for their "user" selves and one for their "official" selves. Kinda keeps it clean and neat IMO. But no other reason exists to have multiple accounts by a single person.

I used to think the same way, but it doesn't work.. Now I'm of the opinion that Mods/Admin should just be held to a higher standard than that of a typical user, since they're reflective of the board "tone". They can do that with just one account.

That said, I don't think a single person needs multiple accounts on the same board. In fact, I can't even think of a reason that two people would need the same email account, since every provider offers (on average) 5 email accounts per household, AND there are those that are always free like Hotmail, Yahoo, and Gmail. I have 4 email accounts, but only one account per "board".

Forum List

Back