Need advice about a new camera

If you really want excellent closeups then you need a a quality DSLR with a macro lens. Somewhere around 2000 dollars new, considerably less used. Nikon is my pick.

Last edited:
Much depends on how much you are willing to spend, and how much you want to learn about photography.

I would tend to agree with those who suggest a used Nikon DSLR. I'd suggest the D3200. The D32xx line has been the base of Nikon's DSLR line, and the D3200 seems to be about the peak, as far as image quality and resolution, vs. features being dropped to encourage consumers to buy higher-up models. From the D3300 onward, it seems that all they really did was remove features, while doing nothing to improve image quality. Going to higher-end models will get you more features that you don't really need, but until you go to MUCH higher models, you won't really get any improvement in image quality.

And, as mentioned before, it can use nearly all of Nikon's F-mount lenses, going all the way back to 1959. (Nikon claims that only their DF model can use Non-AI lenses, but my D3200, my three non-AI lenses, and I, very much disagree with Nikon on this point. There is an issue with some of the higher-end DSLRs, that can actually be damaged by mounting non-AI lenses, but the D3200 is not affected by this issue.)

The camera that you show in your OP is a basic point&shoot camera. With the D3200, and most likely with any modern DSLR, there's an automatic mode which is nearly as easy to use as a basic point&shoot, but will produce better images. But if you go the DSLR route, then there is a lot that you can learn about making much fuller use of it, to produce even better images.
Automatic mode robs you of the creative ability of the camera. Pros never use auto.

If you really want excellent closeups then you need a a quality DSLR with a macro lens. Somewhere around 2000 dollars new, considerably less used. Nikon is my pick.

Thanks. I'll check that link and maybe I'll stop into a couple of camera dealers when the aftermath of this storm clears out.

Last edited:

Thanks. Maybe I'll stop into a couple of camera dealers when the aftermath of this storm clears out.

The link I posted has excellent used stuff at a fraction of the new cost. Also, with high quality equipment many times you can blow up the image to make it appear as a super close up.

grasshopper zoom.jpg

grasshopper zoom 2.jpg

Last edited:
The link I posted has excellent used stuff at a fraction of the new cost. Also, with high quality equipment many times you can blow up the image to make it appear and as a super close up.

View attachment 738775

View attachment 738776

Thanks. I'd love to be able to do photography like that!

Although I am finding that the better the photography, the harder I need to work on the miniatures I'm doing. I am no where near the quality of the miniatures done by the artist in the link shared by progressive hunter and there are still flaws in my work that are hard to see with the unaided eye but become obvious in a close photo!

Thanks. I'd love to be able to do photography like that!

Although I am finding that the better the photography, the harder I need to work on the miniatures I'm doing. I am no where near the quality of the miniatures done by the artist in the link shared by progressive hunter and there are still flaws in my work that are hard to see with the unaided eye but become obvious in a close photo!

d90.jpg

macro.jpg

Description
The Sigma Macro 105mm F/2.8 EX DG is a large aperture medium macro lens ideal for capturing the world's smallest inserts or objects. It houses a flat-field front lens element so that it can shoot images of flat design, such as artwork or postage stamps, and be precise all the way across the image. The Sigma Macro 105mm is suitable for macro photography delivering the closest perspective of the human face. The lens construction consist of 11 elements in 10 groups and three Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass elements providing prime color correction and sharpness across the full range. The integrated Super Multi-Layer coating minimizing flare and ghosting. The Sigma Macro 105mm f/2.8 features a minimum shooting distance of 12.3-inches utilizing the floating internal focus system permitting the ability to shoot with keen sharpenss without regards to distance. Never miss the photo opp to capture life's tiniest creatures with the Sigma Macro 105mm EX DG lens.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a D90 and it was an excellent camera. I used it to take the grasshopper image. Can't beat it for 160 dollars and the lens is good but for several hundred more dollars you can get like new stuff. I bought a D7000 camera body for 400 dollars and it only had about 600 shots through it. Nikon claims their shutters will go over 100,000 shots.

View attachment 738784

View attachment 738785

Description
The Sigma Macro 105mm F/2.8 EX DG is a large aperture medium macro lens ideal for capturing the world's smallest inserts or objects. It houses a flat-field front lens element so that it can shoot images of flat design, such as artwork or postage stamps, and be precise all the way across the image. The Sigma Macro 105mm is suitable for macro photography delivering the closest perspective of the human face. The lens construction consist of 11 elements in 10 groups and three Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass elements providing prime color correction and sharpness across the full range. The integrated Super Multi-Layer coating minimizing flare and ghosting. The Sigma Macro 105mm f/2.8 features a minimum shooting distance of 12.3-inches utilizing the floating internal focus system permitting the ability to shoot with keen sharpenss without regards to distance. Never miss the photo opp to capture life's tiniest creatures with the Sigma Macro 105mm EX DG lens.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a D90 and it was an excellent camera. I used it to take the grasshopper image. Can't beat it for 160 dollars and the lens is good but for several hundred more dollars you can get like new stuff. I bought a D7000 camera body for 400 dollars and it only had about 600 shots through it. Nikon claims their shutters will go over 100,000 shots.

Wow! Great price!

Of course, dear miketx, you know that I'm also looking for a mentor. Did I mention that I'M A BEGINNER? I'm likely to never stop bugging you! :auiqs.jpg:

Wow! Great price!

Of course, dear miketx, you know that I'm also looking for a mentor. Did I mention that I'M A BEGINNER? I'm likely to never stop bugging you! :auiqs.jpg:

Photoshop Elements is very useful to photographers also. It can fix many unseen problems in an image such as trash in the photo you didn't see, or the red eyes that appear sometimes. It's about 100 dollars and while there is a learning curve youtube has all kinds of help videos. The basic things are pretty easy to do.

elements  1.jpg

My recommendation (as a Canon guy):

Buy a pre-owned EOS body, either something in the Rebel line or maybe a 40D, and pair it with a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens.

Here's a Canon 40D, pre-owned, from B&H Photo in New York, for $120:

Used Canon 40D

Here's the lens from KEH for $342:

Canon 100mm f/2.8

This set up will allow you to do what you want to do. I'd also recommend a halfway decent tripod and a remote release for the camera.

Keep in mind that the lens is what makes the image. The camera saves it. The Canon 100mm f/2.8 is a super-sharp lens, and also has other uses. I use mine for macro work, but also use it for portraits. Here are some macro shots I did of two of my watches:

5036863726_b7e77bd2b1_o.jpg
5036775388_3a0196ace7_o.jpg

3302266415_374e6a9b70_o.jpg

Like I said, I also do portraits with it:

kc02a.jpg
lm04a.jpg

kiva01.jpg

So, for probably around $500 you can get yourself set up with a rig that'll allow you to do what you need it to, but also give you the flexibility to explore other forms of photography.

Hope this helps...

Attachments

• co01a.jpg
    co01a.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 3302266415_374e6a9b70_o.jpg
    3302266415_374e6a9b70_o.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 29
My recommendation (as a Canon guy):

Buy a pre-owned EOS body, either something in the Rebel line or maybe a 40D, and pair it with a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens.

Here's a Canon 40D, pre-owned, from B&H Photo in New York, for $120:

Used Canon 40D

Here's the lens from KEH for $342:

Canon 100mm f/2.8

This set up will allow you to do what you want to do. I'd also recommend a halfway decent tripod and a remote release for the camera.

Keep in mind that the lens is what makes the image. The camera saves it. The Canon 100mm f/2.8 is a super-sharp lens, and also has other uses. I use mine for macro work, but also use it for portraits. Here are some macro shots I did of two of my watches:

View attachment 740371 View attachment 740372
View attachment 740373

Like I said, I also do portraits with it:

View attachment 740379 View attachment 740380
View attachment 740382

So, for probably around $500 you can get yourself set up with a rig that'll allow you to do what you need it to, but also give you the flexibility to explore other forms of photography.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the advice. That price looks great. So does your photography!

One thing to remember is that in those small point and shoot cameras the image sensors are tiny, compared to a digital DSLR. That's makes a huge difference in image quality and being able to make big prints and big blown up digital images.

Forum List

Back