Nawlin's Ritz-Carlton Manager Calls Williams A Liar

BullKurtz

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
In August of 2005, as Hurricane Katrina approached the Gulf Coast, a seasoned hotel manager realized she needed to think fast. As the general manager of a mammoth Ritz-Carlton at the edge of the French Quarter in New Orleans, Myra DeGersdorff was in charge of more than 1,200 people.

DeGersdorff’s comments provide a glimpse into what transpired at a hotel sucked into a controversy over now heavily scrutinized claims that Williams has made. The NBC crisis was touched off last week when Williams conceded that a military helicopter he rode in during the Iraq War didn’t take fire as he previously claimed. Williams has since declined repeated interview requests — a surprise given his eagerness to hold forth on his reportorial trials, whether in a low-tech chat with a student newspaper, or in a video talk with Tom Brokaw, or a conversation for a book on the media and Katrina.

Those interviews, in which he boasted of the dangers he faced while pursuing truth, are now the subject of criticism. Three individuals told reporters that gangs never infiltrated the Ritz-Carlton, despite Williams’s claims. And DeGersdorff agreed.

“There absolutely was looting in the French Quarter,” DeGersdorff recalled. “But I wouldn’t say they were gangs. … They were primarily individual looters or two or three buddies attempting to break into camera stores; it was unpleasant.” She said that “on more than one occasion,” the looters tried to get inside the hotel. At one point, they did “breach a door” but were “immediately” chased out. There were “maybe one or two of them,” she said.

President-Obama-Gives-Brian-Williams-Some-Sage-Advice-Cartoon.jpg

This contrasts with Williams’s recollection, as recounted to historian Douglas Brinkley for his 2007 book, “The Great Deluge.” According to Brinkley, Williams told him that “armed gangs had broken into the 527-room hotel, brandishing guns and terrorizing guests. Williams, in fact, had seen his first corpse floating down Canal Street from his eighth-floor window earlier that day. Then fever consumed him.”

At some point — it’s unclear when — Williams said he camped out in a stairwell on a mattress. That surprised DeGersdorff. “I can tell you that at no time did any of my people report any sightings of any bodies,” she said. “I witnessed no bodies floating. … He may have simply misremembered. But I can tell you no one broke out in the hotel with dysentery. I did have mattresses in the stairwells, sure. Did he walk into a stairwell and lay down? He could have, but Ritz-Carlton doesn’t invite its guests to sleep in the stairwell, so we certainly didn’t give him access.” :lol:

Brian Williams perhaps 8216 misremembered 8217 dangers of Katrina hotel manager says - The Washington Post

Last edited:
No link? No story? Did you just write it?

Funny the word "liar" never appears.
You mixing meds again?

Btw is this about the "Canuck" Brian Williams? :rofl:

No link? No story? Did you just write it?

Funny the word "liar" never appears.
You mixing meds again?

Btw is this about the "Canuck" Brian Williams? :rofl:

Uh, maybe you need new trifocals, gramps.....
blind.gif

Uh, you just put that in there after I questioned it, Shortbull.
You're welcome.

So where does she say "liar"? My trifocals must be dirty.

So where does she say "liar"?

WTF do you care if the manager used the word or not? Are you denying that Bryan Williams seems to have lied?

And for all the direct or indirect Bryan Williams advocacy you've done, this should now be the final nail. Time to give up the ghost, dude.

• Banned
WTF do you care if the manager used the word or not? Are you denying that Bryan Williams seems to have lied?

And for all the direct or indirect Bryan Williams advocacy you've done, this should now be the final nail. Time to give up the ghost, dude.

Pogo is a senile old doper who's spent most of the week claiming the French Quarter flooded and Williams wasn't lying.....This report probably blew what's left of his brain activity.

:blowup:

In August of 2005, as Hurricane Katrina approached the Gulf Coast, a seasoned hotel manager realized she needed to think fast. As the general manager of a mammoth Ritz-Carlton at the edge of the French Quarter in New Orleans, Myra DeGersdorff was in charge of more than 1,200 people.

DeGersdorff’s comments provide a glimpse into what transpired at a hotel sucked into a controversy over now heavily scrutinized claims that Williams has made. The NBC crisis was touched off last week when Williams conceded that a military helicopter he rode in during the Iraq War didn’t take fire as he previously claimed. Williams has since declined repeated interview requests — a surprise given his eagerness to hold forth on his reportorial trials, whether in a low-tech chat with a student newspaper, or in a video talk with Tom Brokaw, or a conversation for a book on the media and Katrina.

Those interviews, in which he boasted of the dangers he faced while pursuing truth, are now the subject of criticism. Three individuals told reporters that gangs never infiltrated the Ritz-Carlton, despite Williams’s claims. And DeGersdorff agreed.

“There absolutely was looting in the French Quarter,” DeGersdorff recalled. “But I wouldn’t say they were gangs. … They were primarily individual looters or two or three buddies attempting to break into camera stores; it was unpleasant.” She said that “on more than one occasion,” the looters tried to get inside the hotel. At one point, they did “breach a door” but were “immediately” chased out. There were “maybe one or two of them,” she said.

This contrasts with Williams’s recollection, as recounted to historian Douglas Brinkley for his 2007 book, “The Great Deluge.” According to Brinkley, Williams told him that “armed gangs had broken into the 527-room hotel, brandishing guns and terrorizing guests. Williams, in fact, had seen his first corpse floating down Canal Street from his eighth-floor window earlier that day. Then fever consumed him.”

At some point — it’s unclear when — Williams said he camped out in a stairwell on a mattress. That surprised DeGersdorff. “I can tell you that at no time did any of my people report any sightings of any bodies,” she said. “I witnessed no bodies floating. … He may have simply misremembered. But I can tell you no one broke out in the hotel with dysentery. I did have mattresses in the stairwells, sure. Did he walk into a stairwell and lay down? He could have, but Ritz-Carlton doesn’t invite its guests to sleep in the stairwell, so we certainly didn’t give him access.” :lol:

Brian Williams perhaps 8216 misremembered 8217 dangers of Katrina hotel manager says - The Washington Post
He should quit. The single nastiest thing about Katrina is all the reporting of looting and violence that the media reported, none of which turned out to be true. And you nits drank that shit like koolaid because it confirmed your bias that black people are thugs.

He should quit. The single nastiest thing about Katrina is all the reporting of looting and violence that the media reported, none of which turned out to be true. And you nits drank that shit like koolaid because it confirmed your bias that black people are thugs.

"nits"?
icon_e_surprised.gif

"nits"?
icon_e_surprised.gif
: the egg of a louse or other parasitic insect; also : the insect itself when young

Pogo is a senile old doper who's spent most of the week claiming the French Quarter flooded and Williams wasn't lying.....This report probably blew what's left of his brain activity.

Yea, this is what happened to him in the other Bryan Williams thread.

wpid-marquez-pacquiao-ko1.jpg

Other than noting BW's self-aggrandizing delusions of grandeur and what his job is as an actor I haven't posted about Brian Williams at all. Was he lying about the body? I have no way to know, and neither does anyone else. And we're repeating the same shit from yesterday.

What I did take issue with was this historical revisionism by John Simerman, and taken up by the partisan hacks here, that the French Quarter never flooded. I'm a Katrninte; I know better. And I proved it, over and over.

Does that mean he did see a body? Of course it doesn't. But it does mean it's not impossible as Simerman's premise postulated and then had to be walked back. That was the whole point. I will not permit Katrina revisionism. Even the hotel GM in this article says it's not impossible. Well that's a stark contrast to Simerman and the USMB wags who flatly declared it was impossible.

It ain't.

One of you jagoffs (won't mention any names but think Great Gnat's Pee) actually tried to tell me there were no bodies. That the city kept us residents out for seven weeks for -- well he never did address that question why. He ran away like the coward he is.

As far as Brian Williams himself and his general ego-bloating, fuck him. He's a TV talking head, so he already jumped into that gutter when he took the job, and I've never made a secret of my contempt for television. And good on the GM for standing up for her work at the Ritz if he's been impugning her performance there. That's stabbing the person in the back (DeGersdorff) who bent over backward to keep you comfortable and safe, and if that's what he implied that's dishonest too, and contemptible.

As were all these armchair wags trying to tell me the French Quarter had no flooding, or describing hip-deep water as "ankle-deep". Fuck y'all too, you're no better than Brian Williams or the "New Orleans" Advocate -- which even lies about where it's based.

Last edited:
: the egg of a louse or other parasitic insect; also : the insect itself when young

Uh huh....so you're claiming there were no major black looting during Katrina?
That is correct. You should love Brian Williams because he helped spread that lie.[/QUOTE]
LOL they lie to themselves,why would someone do that?
You can put b;lack and white evidence in their faces,yet will still blubber no ,astounding human behavior.

But that IS what television does. It's the only thing it's good at. And that's exactly why I'm always railing against it. Fear sells, violence sells. How many even fictional TV shows have been created about crime and cops? TV is by definition for the low-info superficial crowd.

And for a perfect illustration of why it sells, see the post directly above.

TV doesn't care. It's there to make money for itself, not to enrich the human race. If that human race gets hurt or polarized in the process, hey, as long as the profits are rolling in that's all that matters.

Forum List

Back