Naval man to lose pay over conviction in Japan.

pknopp

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2019
I have a couple points to make here. First is this statement by Mike Lee. What happened.

Alkonis, who is based out of Yokosuka Naval Base, was convicted of negligent driving by Japanese courts in October 2021 after he was involved in a vehicle accident that year that resulted in the deaths of two people.

Then Lee's statement.

Why is he in prison in Japan, did he steal something, did he harm someone? No, none of the above," Lee said in his floor speech.

He most certainly harmed someone. Was it an unavoidable accident? Perhaps BUT he did harm someone.

My second point is that he had NO business being in Japan to start with. Bring our soldiers home and things like this do not happen to them. Should he get the exception? If indeed the military believes it was a medical issue (and it's certainly possible) then likely so. Since he really didn't have a choice but go where the military sends him.

Mike Lee calls out Defense Department for halting pay of Navy officer jailed in Japan

Last edited:
Since he really didn't have a choice but go where the military sends him.
He had a choice to sign his enlistment contract. He was not forced. He voluntarily accepted the terms of the enlistment contract. Geez, I wouldn't enter into a long term contract with an individual in today's America for love or money. These deadbeats' integrity sucks. What happened to a man's word being his bond?

He had a choice to sign his enlistment contract.

I can't condemn him for that. We do need a military. We don't need one the size it is.

He was not forced. He voluntarily accepted the terms of the enlistment contract. Geez, I wouldn't enter into a long term contract with an individual in today's America for love or money. These deadbeats' integrity sucks. What happened to a man's word being his bond?

No idea what you are rambling about.

I can't condemn him for that. We do need a military. We don't need one the size it is.

No idea what you are rambling about.
You claimed he had no choice--I pointed it out for you. As for the size of the current military--If the military was run the way it was designed to run, the size is appropriate. The military is designed to be a self-sufficient force. However the democrats have used it as a cash cow by using civilian labor to do the jobs that military members should be doing for themselves. You are woefully ill-informed regarding this subject matter.

You claimed he had no choice--I pointed it out for you. As for the size of the current military--If the military was run the way it was designed to run, the size is appropriate. The military is designed to be a self-sufficient force. However the democrats have used it as a cash cow by using civilian labor to do the jobs that military members should be doing for themselves. You are woefully ill-informed regarding this subject matter.
Yeah, that started during Reagan when they hired civilians to cook for the troops at bases in the US.

My god.........can you (and others) not discuss anything without your partisan ramblings? I don't understand it.

My god.........can you (and others) not discuss anything without your partisan ramblings? I don't understand it.
In this country, today? Nope. Maybe you should take a look around and see what is happening. I've been around long enough to have seen this country run. Not perfectly, but better than anything we've seen since the turn of the century. BTW, there was nothing partisan about my stand on the integrity of people who sign contracts in our younger generations. A great number of our youth have no integrity whatsoever.

In this country, today? Nope. Maybe you should take a look around and see what is happening.

I see what is happening and it's not going to end well. But carry on.

I've been around long enough to have seen this country run. Not perfectly, but better than anything we've seen since the turn of the century. BTW, there was nothing partisan about my stand on the integrity of people who sign contracts in our younger generations. A great number of our youth have no integrity whatsoever.

However the democrats have used it as a cash cow by using civilian labor to do the jobs that military members should be doing for themselves.

I have a couple points to make here. First is this statement by Mike Lee. What happened.

Alkonis, who is based out of Yokosuka Naval Base, was convicted of negligent driving by Japanese courts in October 2021 after he was involved in a vehicle accident that year that resulted in the deaths of two people.

Then Lee's statement.

Why is he in prison in Japan, did he steal something, did he harm someone? No, none of the above," Lee said in his floor speech.

He most certainly harmed someone. Was it an unavoidable accident? Perhaps BUT he did harm someone.

My second point is that he had NO business being in Japan to start with. Bring our soldiers home and things like this do not happen to them. Should he get the exception? If indeed the military believes it was a medical issue (and it's certainly possible) then likely so. Since he really didn't have a choice but go where the military sends him.

Mike Lee calls out Defense Department for halting pay of Navy officer jailed in Japan
I'm perfectly fine with the idea of bringing our troops home from Japan.

But I am also fine with standing by while China invades them . . . or . . . Japan acquiring nukes to defend themselves from any invasion.

Are you?

I'm perfectly fine with the idea of bringing our troops home from Japan.

But I am also fine with standing by while China invades them . . . or . . . Japan acquiring nukes to defend themselves from any invasion.

Are you?

It's none of my business in what Japan decides to do to defend themselves.

My second point is that he had NO business being in Japan to start with.

We are there at their request.

The mutual defense pact between the US and Japan has only been in place now for over 70 years now (this April it will be 71 years). And one of the main reasons it is in place is that most of Japan is afraid of what would happen if they actually did start to militarize their nation again. Because that would cause a significant shift in their country, and they do not want to ever go there again.

And trust me, the last thing that the world would like to see would be a militarized Japan ever again. Of all the nations on the planet, that would scare me more than any other.

We are there at their request.

The mutual defense pact between the US and Japan has only been in place now for over 70 years now (this April it will be 71 years). And one of the main reasons it is in place is that most of Japan is afraid of what would happen if they actually did start to militarize their nation again. Because that would cause a significant shift in their country, and they do not want to ever go there again.

And trust me, the last thing that the world would like to see would be a militarized Japan ever again. Of all the nations on the planet, that would scare me more than any other.

We need to leave. I'm not interested in your paranoia.

Forum List

Back