Native American???

Joz

Mar 9, 2004
Is anyone here of Native American decent?

Some, during their wedding ceremony do a hand washing (unlike the Jewish tradition) symbolizing the washing away of past pain & old loves.

Does anyone know/ have the words that go along with this ceremony? I find none anywhere.

Yes.

No.

You should try to specify a tribe. "Native American" culture is much like Europeans culture. In Europe, you have France, Spain, Britain, Germany, Italy, etc., not to mention more localized cultures, such as the Scotts and the Basque region. Indian America has the Hopi, Cherokee, Cheyenne, Apache, Iroquois, Choctaw, Quawpaw, Algonquin, Delaware, Mohican, etc. They all have different ceremonies. If you can pin a tribe, I might be able to help.

You should try to specify a tribe...... Indian America has the Hopi, Cherokee, Cheyenne, Apache, Iroquois, Choctaw, Quawpaw, Algonquin, Delaware, Mohican, etc. They all have different ceremonies. If you can pin a tribe, I might be able to help.
As much as I can decipher it's Pueblo.

As interesting as those sites are, they are revealing history & what's going on now. Nothing specific as a wedding rite or ceremony. But I appreciate the information. I thought of emailing one, but I don't know.......

I was thinking the e-mail thing may be the answer.

I was thinking the e-mail thing may be the answer.
Would you reveal a family recipe?
I asked this on Yahoo answers and am currently being reamed. (you'd think I'd get use to it)
Seems this particular person feels this belongs to the Indians alone. I tried explaining that there are people who do not adhere to a religion but that they like to include rites they grew up with or are a part of their heritage such as the jumping of the broom or communion. So many of our traditions are rooted in other cultures including the Native American. I just thought it was rather meaningful.

Would you reveal a family recipe?
I asked this on Yahoo answers and am currently being reamed. (you'd think I'd get use to it)
Seems this particular person feels this belongs to the Indians alone. I tried explaining that there are people who do not adhere to a religion but that they like to include rites they grew up with or are a part of their heritage such as the jumping of the broom or communion. So many of our traditions are rooted in other cultures including the Native American. I just thought it was rather meaningful.

You mean they didn't request this to start with?
If that's the case the hell with it. They might get pissed. One thing I noticed is there are folks that perform the indian weddings. That leads me to believe not just anyone should do it. Just my take.

You mean they didn't request this to start with?
If that's the case the hell with it. They might get pissed. One thing I noticed is there are folks that perform the indian weddings. That leads me to believe not just anyone should do it. Just my take.
I agree that there are ceremonies that should be done by specific clergy. Priests do theirs, Rabbis do theirs, Priestesses do theirs & Pagans do theirs. And I woud not think of trying to imitate them. But the Jewish, breaking of the glass, or the wine ceremony or the Priestess' Celtic handfasting are rites within themselves that can hold meaning for a couple. I guess I could just tell a couple to go find an Indian. :)

I agree that there are ceremonies that should be done by specific clergy. Priests do theirs, Rabbis do theirs, Priestesses do theirs & Pagans do theirs. And I woud not think of trying to imitate them. But the Jewish, breaking of the glass, or the wine ceremony or the Priestess' Celtic handfasting are rites within themselves that can hold meaning for a couple. I guess I could just tell a couple to go find an Indian. :)

So they did request an tribal ceremony? You haven't said..

So they did request an tribal ceremony? You haven't said..
It wasn't asked me specifically, just a colleague, who was asking me what words to say. The couple doesn't want a tribal ceremony, just this rite.

Forum List

Back