National rent control? The usual suspects think it is a great idea. What say you?

Remove the regulatory constraints that landlords face, stop making it nearly impossible to evict bad tenants and offer tax incentives for the construction and operation of rental housing. Is that simple enough for you?
What regulatory constraints would you get rid of in your State...?

Like in Maine, I don't think you can evict a tenant in the middle of the winter... And I don't think that will ever change because people up here are humane..... :)

Example a landlord has one house to rent. The government gives him a small business grant of ten percent of the value of another rental property and a complete tax break on the income from that house for ten years. That's an incentive to acquire more rental properties and expand the market.
That seems like just tax cuts for the rich and it will "trickle down" failed bull-oney policy, that we've tried, ending in failure to spread the wealth around, and only makes the rich, richer ...with our tax dollars????

There has to be some guarantee attached to the 10 years tax free....on rental income,....like if they offer rent no more than 25% to 30% of the average median income for the area of the rental....

The landlord needs to give something in the tax break deal that will help the renters, no?

Last edited:
In Phoenix the average rental price for a two-bedroom apartment is 1550.00 a month. The median purchase price is $315,000.00 for a two-bedroom condo. That works out to $1616.00 a month. That's a $66.00 difference and all the equity goes into your pocket, not a landlord's. I'd say a $66.00 difference is pretty damned close.
Sure. Now add in condo fees, and property tax. Then remember that not everyplace is Phoenix.

And note: I found literally HUNDERDS of apartments in Phoenix for <$1300 in a 3-minute check.

Sure. Now add in condo fees, and property tax. Then remember that not everyplace is Phoenix.

And note: I found literally HUNDERDS of apartments in Phoenix for <$1300 in a 3-minute check.
I used two bedrooms in both categories. Property taxes and the interest on the loan are tax deductions. That will more than offset the condo fees. When you rent you are flushing your money down the toilet. When you buy, you are putting it in your pocket in the medium and long term.

I had a co-worker who was a confirmed renter. He used to call me stupid for stretching my budget to pay off my mortgage. I ran into him a couple of years after we both retired and he was complaining that his landlord kept raising his rent and he was having a hard time getting along despite having a fixed benefit pension AND SS. I told him I was doing well because I paid off my house and reminded him of the many times I tried to talk him into buying something. He wasn’t amused.

I used two bedrooms in both categories.

So did I.

Property taxes and the interest on the loan are tax deductions.

Only if they exceed the standard deduction.

That will more than offset the condo fees. When you rent you are flushing your money down the toilet. When you buy, you are putting it in your pocket in the medium and long term.

Naah. When you buy, you are acquiring a millstone and an unpaid part-time job. I sold my house and it was the best move I could have made.

I had a co-worker who was a confirmed renter. He used to call me stupid for stretching my budget to pay off my mortgage. I ran into him a couple of years after we both retired and he was complaining that his landlord kept raising his rent and he was having a hard time getting along despite having a fixed benefit pension AND SS. I told him I was doing well because I paid off my house and reminded him of the many times I tried to talk him into buying something. He wasn’t amused.

He's not smart enough to save. Not my problem.

That seems like just tax cuts for the rich and it will "trickle down" failed bull-oney policy, that we've tried, ending in failure to spread the wealth around, and only makes the rich, richer ...with our tax dollars????

There has to be some guarantee attached to the 10 years tax free....on rental income,....like if they offer rent no more than 25% to 30% of the average median income for the area of the rental....

The landlord needs to give something in the tax break deal that will help the renters, no?

left wingers like criminal illegal aliens, who in turn drive American citizens out of the construction trades, and then don't seem to mind the fact they never pass those cost savings on to consumers, so both 'sides' of this are dishonest. Most people can't afford to buy houses any more, dumb ass flippers and giant rental property accumulators are driving prices way up, so sooner or later something will break, it always does, like right wingers now sniveling the Fed raised its interest rates and money isn't quite free any more. This will have political consequences down the road, same as the price gouging scams will.

Forum List

Back