National Poll for Republican Nomination: Thompson Has Tied Giuliani for Lead

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
Things are starting to look good for Thompson. What will happen as his positions become better known? Rudy has withdrawn from the Iowa Caucus and trails Romney in New Hampshire. If, as now seems likely, Romney gains momentum from Iowa and New Hampshire, Rudy may be in trouble. McCain looks finished. He has fallen to just 11 percent nationally.

2008 Republican Presidential Primary
National Poll: Giuliani 24% Thompson 24%

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Complete article: http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/2008_republican_presidential_primary.

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani has to share his spot atop the field of Republican Presidential hopefuls this week. The newest face in the race, former Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson, is now tied with Giuliani. The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds each man earning support from 24% of likely Republican Primary voters. A week ago, Giuliani had a six percentage point lead over Thompson, 23% to 17%.

It is not unusual for a candidate to gain ground in the polls when they first announce their intentions. However, Thompson’s rise has been meteoric. It remains to be seen whether the reality of his candidacy can measure up to its allure as an alternative for those dissatisfied with the other candidates in the field. At the moment, 59% of Republicans have a favorable opinion of their newest candidate. Just 14% hold an unfavorable opinion of Thompson while 27% are not sure.

Forty-two percent (42%) of Republicans view Thompson as politically conservative. Twenty-four percent (24%) see him as politically moderate, 3% say liberal and 30% are not sure. Twenty-one percent (21%) of Republicans view Giuliani as politically conservative (63% see the former Mayor of New York as politically moderate while 12% say liberal).

Just as startling as Thompson’s rise in this week’s poll is the continuing loss of support for Arizona Senator John McCain. The man once considered the dominant front runner in the race is now supported by just 11% of likely Republican Primary voters nationwide. That’s down from 17% in May and 14% a week ago. His support is just half of what it was in January.

Things are starting to look good for Thompson. What will happen as his positions become better known? Rudy has withdrawn from the Iowa Caucus and trails Romney in New Hampshire. If, as now seems likely, Romney gains momentum from Iowa and New Hampshire, Rudy may be in trouble. McCain looks finished. He has fallen to just 11 percent nationally.

I still say that Mike Huckabee is the true "Conservative" IMHO

I still havent figured out this Fred Thompson fad... he just doesnt seem that great to me. I mean he isnt bad but I dont see how he fills any void. Because all the Republican candidates are very qualified and capable men.

Forum List

Back