National French Fry Day!

Many years ago on America's Test Kitchen Kimball said: "You know the old saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Well we are here to tell you when it comes to making perfect french fries whoever said that was wrong". Kimbel et al went on to demonstrate the new and improved method which I have used countless times with excellent results.
I use coconut oil but any high smoking point oil works.
To feed two adults I wash and dry two large russet potatoes (I've tried other potatoes with mixed results).
Julianne with the skins on or peel them...whatever.
Make the fries about 5/16x5/16" and as long as the potato is.
Thicker julianne's don't work our that well with this method.
Do not rinse away the starch!
Gently move the fries around as you put them into a large heavy bottomed pot and cover them with about an inch of room temperature oil. You will not be touching the fries again until they are done, leaving of course lots of room for the boiling hot oil not to pour over the sides. Everyone knows this of course.
Make sure the oil is room temperature NOT hot/boiling.
Put the pot on the stove and set the temp for just under maximum heat.
LEAVE THE FRIES ALONE!!!!! DO NOT PLAY WITH THEM AT ALL.
The oil will gradually come up to a steady but not volcano rolling boil.
Watch the fries and note how the oil is bubbling away. As they turn a golden brown the water that was causing the oil to bubble slows down. When oil stops bubbling the fries have become golden brown.
Turn off the heat and using tongs transfer to fries into a large paper towel lined bowl. I sprinkle on some sea salt and toss then serve them with anything you like.
The fries are always fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside. Never any 'greasy' flavor.
Enjoy the simplest never fail fries ever. Thanks to AMK.........which I never watch anymore for a number of reasons.

Forum List

Back