National Debt by President

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
First, apologies to the rw's cuz I know how much you hate FACTS.

National Debt Graph by President

US-national-debt-GDP.png

The green line shows what would have happened to the national debt if Reagan and the Bushes had balanced their budgets as Reagan claimed he would. G.W. Bush, in all modesty, claimed he would "retire nearly $1 trillion in debt over the next four years. This will be the largest debt reduction ever achieved by any nation at any time."

Conservatives are quite embarrassed by this performance, so they have invented a cover story: The Democratic Congress did it. Nice try. But for 12 of the 20 years the Congress was not Democratic. Also, presidents can veto, and when it was Democratic, Congress passed smaller budgets on average than the Republican Presidents asked for. Presidents propose the budget, and they have the most influence.

One problem I have with this is that IF the pubs had done what they promised, Obama would not have had to spend as much as he has. Nor would George Bush's uncontrolled credit spending now be shown as Obama's fault.

My favorite part of this is
G.W. Bush, in all modesty, claimed he would "retire nearly $1 trillion in debt over the next four years. This will be the largest debt reduction ever achieved by any nation at any time."

ReaganBushDebt.org
The Current ReaganBush Debt is:
$15,267,638,459,308.70
which means that in a total of 20 years,
these three presidents have led to the creation of
94.23%
of the entire national debt
in only 8.4746% of the 236 years of the existence of the United States of America.

U.S. Government National Debt: What they Won't Tell You
Some Debt Facts:

*Social Security is $2.6 trillion in the black. In 2010 it ran a $68 billion surplus.
*Clinton reduced the debt as a percent of GDP.
*G. W. Bush restarted the deficits with tax cuts for the rich.
*Red ink hit a peak rate of $1 trillion in 100 days just before Obama.
*The Obama stimulous was only $0.08 trillion.
*Only $1.2 trillion is owed to China.[1]
*$10 trillion is owed to America.

My point is that we cannot afford the increase in debt that Mittens wants.

US-national-debt-GDP.png

The green line shows what would have happened to the national debt if Reagan and the Bushes had balanced their budgets as Reagan claimed he would. G.W. Bush, in all modesty, claimed he would "retire nearly $1 trillion in debt over the next four years. This will be the largest debt reduction ever achieved by any nation at any time."

Conservatives are quite embarrassed by this performance, so they have invented a cover story: The Democratic Congress did it. Nice try. But for 12 of the 20 years the Congress was not Democratic. Also, presidents can veto, and when it was Democratic, Congress passed smaller budgets on average than the Republican Presidents asked for. Presidents propose the budget, and they have the most influence.

One problem I have with this is that IF the pubs had done what they promised, Obama would not have had to spend as much as he has. Nor would George Bush's uncontrolled credit spending now be shown as Obama's fault.

G.W. Bush, in all modesty, claimed he would "retire nearly $1 trillion in debt over the next four years. This will be the largest debt reduction ever achieved by any nation at any time."

ReaganBushDebt.org
$15,267,638,459,308.70
94.23%
in only 8.4746% of the 236 years of the existence of the United States of America.

Some Debt Facts:

*Social Security is $2.6 trillion in the black. In 2010 it ran a $68 billion surplus.

Mitt has not Purposed any Increase to Debt, Obama claims he did.

What I want to know is why Liberals like you claim to be so smart. Then post Debt by President figures. You do know Congress controls the Purse stings right.

Your Spin means nothing with out considering who controlled Congress at those times.

Newsflash! Obama isn't running against Bush (or McCain either).

Doesn't matter anyway because there's not enough time for you Liberals to pull your heads out before the elections.

... Mitt has not Purposed any Increase to Debt, Obama claims he did. ...

Do you mean, "proposed"?

If so ... Of course he has. Over and over and over again. As recently as last Tuesday, the figures have changed but he has talked about nothing else except adding to the debt. (And, of course, his little running mate is just dying to get his hands on our pocketbooks)

Larry Summers Slams Romney Tax Plan: 'It's Just Not Possible'

"The reality is that every expert who's looked at it has found that cutting taxes by 20 percent costs $5 trillion," Summers said. "If you take away every exemption, every tax expenditure for people with high incomes, you don't get anything like $5 trillion."

And, please, for once, rw's stfu about the source OR PROVE its not true.

Mittens did flip flop, AGAIN,
when he said that he would consider capping deductions at $25,000 per household. But the Tax Policy Center found that Romney's tax plan, even with that change, still would increase the deficit by $3.7 trillion over the next 10 years.

If you did not mean to say, "proposed", by all means, correct me.

... Mitt has not Purposed any Increase to Debt, Obama claims he did. ...

Do you mean, "proposed"?

If so ... Of course he has. Over and over and over again. As recently as last Tuesday, the figures have changed but he has talked about nothing else except adding to the debt. (And, of course, his little running mate is just dying to get his hands on our pocketbooks)

Larry Summers Slams Romney Tax Plan: 'It's Just Not Possible'

"The reality is that every expert who's looked at it has found that cutting taxes by 20 percent costs $5 trillion," Summers said. "If you take away every exemption, every tax expenditure for people with high incomes, you don't get anything like $5 trillion."

And, please, for once, rw's stfu about the source OR PROVE its not true.

Mittens did flip flop, AGAIN,
when he said that he would consider capping deductions at $25,000 per household. But the Tax Policy Center found that Romney's tax plan, even with that change, still would increase the deficit by $3.7 trillion over the next 10 years.

If you did not mean to say, "proposed", by all means, correct me.

Yes I mean Proposed, and the Tax Policy Center is Biased for Obama. Romney claims he can do what he wants to do with out increasing the Debt, the Dems claim he can't.

And other studies have said it can be done. Hell even the Princeton Economist Obama claimed said it will increase the Debt by 5 Trillion, came out and said Obama was Misquoting him and that he is on record saying the Romney plan "can work"

You guys want to be able to discount everything one candidate says, and use Claims made by the other Candidate as your proof.

Sorry may work with your target demographic of low Info Voters, but not most of us.

Last edited:
the Tax Policy Center is Biased for Obama. Romney claims he can do what he wants to do with out increasing the Debt, the Dems claim he can't.

Romnesia says (and then says something else - as in last Tuesday!)

rw's say ... But, no one (including Romney) ever puts up anything that looks like PROOF or even evidence.

US-national-debt-GDP.png

ReaganBushDebt.org
$15,267,638,459,308.70
94.23%

Some Debt Facts:

In reference to your graph, Nobel prize winning economist Paul Krugman has pointed out that the unprecedented debt levels of post WWII America represented an equivalent threat to America's solvency back in the late 40s and early 50s. Did America enter a period of austerity? No. Did America actually PAY OFF that massive debt? No AGAIN! America grew the economy so that the debt as a percentage of GDP actually fell over time!!!

So luddly...where's the chart showing where our national debt would be if OBAMA had cut the deficit in half by now as he promised, hmmmmm?

US-national-debt-GDP.png

ReaganBushDebt.org
$15,267,638,459,308.70
94.23%

Some Debt Facts:

Mitt has not Purposed any Increase to Debt, Obama claims he did.

What I want to know is why Liberals like you claim to be so smart. Then post Debt by President figures. You do know Congress controls the Purse stings right.

Your Spin means nothing with out considering who controlled Congress at those times.

Is this the chart that the Left made up to try and pin Obama's spending on Bush? If so that's already been shown on this forum to be false. Just like the last round of inaccurate employment numbers that Obama is still lying about. Which turns out the fellow who didn't report ALL of the numbers so the reading would not be accurate is an Obama campaign donator. The best thing that could happen to this nation is to get rid of this pool hall hustler president.

US-national-debt-GDP.png

ReaganBushDebt.org
$15,267,638,459,308.70
94.23%

Some Debt Facts:

In reference to your graph, Nobel prize winning economist Paul Krugman has pointed out that the unprecedented debt levels of post WWII America represented an equivalent threat to America's solvency back in the late 40s and early 50s. Did America enter a period of austerity? No. Did America actually PAY OFF that massive debt? No AGAIN! America grew the economy so that the debt as a percentage of GDP actually fell over time!!!

Thanks Mustang.

Ain't no way the pubpots will allow the economy to grow this time.

well I guess when you have no budget in FOUR YEARS it can show anything it wants..

US-national-debt-GDP.png

ReaganBushDebt.org
$15,267,638,459,308.70
94.23%

Thanks Mustang.

Ain't no way the pubpots will allow the economy to grow this time.

The point is this: While some cuts (and tax increases) are warranted, taking a scythe to gov't spending as a whole would almost certainly have the exact opposite effect of what's intended because it would contract spending in the public sector even as the private sector is still struggling. It would be the equivalent of a self-imposed contraction of the GDP since most of that gov't spending also equates to jobs. Cutting gov't spending would also effectively put people out of work.

US-national-debt-GDP.png

ReaganBushDebt.org
$15,267,638,459,308.70
94.23%

Some Debt Facts:

Nice to see you finally admitting that the debt is Obama's fault.

6a00d83451b4ba69e2017d3cbb8a24970c-600wi

Change of Subject: Romney vs. the truth

6036130018_54d439f421.jpg

50yearsdebtpresidents.jpg

Anyway you look at it, Republicans are disastrous for the country. Look at what they did to Obama. Bush gave him a yearly deficit of over 1.4 trillion. This year, it's just over 1 trillion. So he didn't cut it by half, but by almost a third.

So why is this? Why are Republicans such disasters for the economy, for America's place as the leader in science and technology, for the American Middle Class and especially for the poor?

It's ignorance. They have one economic policy, "tax cuts". They don't believe in investment or education. They scoff at science. Sneer at education. They hate the poor and squat on the Middle Class. Republicans are so indoctrinated their leaders call them stupid and they cheer.

Romney plans on bringing immigrants here with degrees who he will help start businesses. The Republican elite will benefit, but the base will get royally fucked. They won't be able to compete. They will become the "trailer and pup tent nation". They earned it. Voting these creeps into office. The damage they did after Bush was the greatest yet. Democrats won't always be able to save the country from these guys.

Hope you guys like having overseers with accents. If you don't like immigrants now, wait until you have to beg one for a job. Can Republicans garden? Georgia proved they can't pick cotton worth a shit.

Immigration | Mitt Romney for President

US-national-debt-GDP.png

ReaganBushDebt.org
$15,267,638,459,308.70
94.23%

Some Debt Facts:

The chart says it all. Republicans repeatedly run up the debt and then bitch about it when a Democratic President comes into office.

US-national-debt-GDP.png

ReaganBushDebt.org
$15,267,638,459,308.70
94.23%

Some Debt Facts:

That graph shows that obama has done worse. Good try but fail.

the Tax Policy Center is Biased for Obama. Romney claims he can do what he wants to do with out increasing the Debt, the Dems claim he can't.

Romnesia says (and then says something else - as in last Tuesday!)

rw's say ... But, no one (including Romney) ever puts up anything that looks like PROOF or even evidence.

your a strange "Independent" Dudly.....you love EVERYTHING the Democrats do or say....NEVER have any gripes against them.....its ALWAYS the Republicans are bad....now do you see why i was getting on you for being a phony?.....because your about as "Independent" as Dean is a Republican....you call Romney out for misrepresenting himself.....im doing the same with you.....come clean and tell the truth about who you are.....

Forum List

Back